Corrupt Saves - StrCount > 0xFFFF - CTD on load

bcsp

Hey all, I made that spreadsheet I was promising. It can be edited by anyone. Just saw that you started one as well kamikaze, if you prefer I can copy paste my info over to your and delete mine. For now though here's the link; https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1iIpwNT75ZQ5eejRgrSLt5kySrAKtTW1n7Q7IgtNy3NE/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by EpitomyofShyness

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny enough, I just finished optimizing my load-list using a heavily modified SR revisited load order with lots of packs and some heavy extras. 300+ mods (not including textures) easy. I start my game, no need 100 hours and your test esp! I can save in the alternative start room okay after letting scripts run to completion. Then I spawn into the camping site and active frostfall and pow! Save the game, run around with multspeed 1500 no problems, no ctds, game is rock stable. All spanking new.

But that save game don't work! it crashes exactly as you described and I found your save cleaner test on my own.

My extra observation:

I noticed that NOT every save from this point on is corrupt, I wait awhile and suddenly the saves work again. (what I do is actually access the save cleaner while still playing to ensure my save worked before continuing, so I don't have to keep reloading the game to test.) I noticed that it is independent of interior/exterior space, it definitely is NOT a mod conflict. The problem worsens immediately after adding a new scripted mod.

For example: Super stable game, saves work most of the time BUT, the moment I add the Sofia Follower the save corruption occurs immediately. It isn't Sofia, its something else.

Another example: Saves work fine till, I activate frostfall & the gold adjustment mod, then the problem occurs but may improve after a few minutes or it may not.

I am not as technical minded as you are but I am good with testing crashes for skyrim and mod balancing issues. What I will try next is to deactivate a few of my non-essential scripted mods and retry. Your observations have helped immensely, cemeting my hunch was correct and its NOT a mod conflict or graphics overload (not likely as I have a Titan X and have correct ini and enb settings.) but a script engine issue.

What sucks now is I use dynDoLOD and that monster just takes WAY to long to run to completion (and here I was thinking reproccers take too long!!). Will probably play without it, till I have nailed the problem in the head first.

At least I have direction now. I hope someone can fix this issue.

Interesting list. I totally can empirically confirm that mods like iNPC, Helgen Reborn, Molag Bal's Inferno, immersive college of winterhold, hunterborn and disparity and other NPC mods not listed AND dynDoLod has caused me strife in the past. I was sure they were installed correctly with no conflict and lots of anecdotal evidence that it works for other people's load-orders and the patches made by people I trust installed properly but I still have issues with saves (and maybe instability). I have always suspect that its not a conflict issue but something else.

Its not specific mods, its the total number of scripted mods is what I suspected, but there was no hard evidence for that till now. Good to know that there is a new definable limit to mods (for now), so at least there is something I can work around (for now). I hope like the memory fix and enb fix which were MAJOR hurdles this one can be overcome in time.

Edited by Garfink

Where can I download that beta DynDoLOD 1.48 beta mod? Can you send me a link? I can definitely live without NPC mods, immersive college, disparity, Helgen Reborn, Violens and some other mods, but I would sorely miss DynDoLOD!!!

When I get home I will look at how close I am to the 65K number and see if I can bring that down below 55K, then I should be GOLD for that NO-MORE MODDING playthrough and actually finish the game for once.

I think I will try uninstall most of these from my load-order:

ALL NPC mods
Disparity (good mod, but not worth the issues)
DynDOLOD 1.47 (hopefully the newer versions fix this issue.)
Face to Face (Maybe)
Helgen Reborn
Holidays
Hunterborn
Inigo
Molag Bal's Inferno
Moonlight Tales (maybe, I like this too much)
ALL house mods
Sofia
Violens
Wearable Lanterns (will look for a replacement, can't live without this)
Wet and Cold (the only mod on this list I would super miss!)

This should take several thousand off whatever "string load" I have now. (I may have just coined a new Skyrim Modding Term!!)

@Garfink

Do you run with Mod Organizer? If so, you can actually check which house mods use scripts. There are little icons (content column on the left pane of Mod Organizer) for the types of files each mod has. I believe that your BSAs have to be extracted in order for this to display properly. The papyrus script icon looks like a screwdriver and wrench crossing each other. Some house mods have very few scripts - they are usually just the the vanilla bookshelf and weapon rack scripts.

I've got Elinora's "Beginner's Shack" and "Breezehome TNF- Eli's Flavour" installed and can confirm that they generate very little in the way of strings.

Thanks, MO user, wouldn't call myself a serious modder if I weren't using it!

I haven't bothered to unpack all my BSA this time around (I have returned to modding after a hiatus), because I am not optimizing my textures any more (12 Gig VRAM, no need any more, 4K+ almost everything and not even a stutter.). I am only using 2 house mods and I am pretty sure they are insane with scripts (they are those that have scripted events for EVERYTHING).

But good tip!

@Garfink

Yeah, I couldn't imagine modding without MO. I won't even attempt to mod Fallout 4 until a stable release of the 64 bit Mod Organizer version is released. :laugh:

Where can I download that beta DynDoLOD 1.48 beta mod? Can you send me a link? I can definitely live without NPC mods, immersive college, disparity, Helgen Reborn, Violens and some other mods, but I would sorely miss DynDoLOD!!!

When I get home I will look at how close I am to the 65K number and see if I can bring that down below 55K, then I should be GOLD for that NO-MORE MODDING playthrough and actually finish the game for once.

The beta papyrus scripts are here http://forum.step-project.com/topic/5011-dynamic-distant-objects-lod-dyndolod-147/page-224?do=findComment&comment=158665