Corrupt Saves - StrCount > 0xFFFF - CTD on load

bcsp

Oh yeah, I was out of range!!! >65K for sure.

I am testing a new slightly weight loss load-order now, wish me luck. I will get back with the results asap.

What "string load" should I be aim for anyway? <50K?

Edited by Garfink

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately it appears to do that yes. We still don't know what is a 'safe' cushion space. So I hate to say this but you might play for 50 hours and find that you are back over 65k.

The best advice I can give is that you should be checking your string count pretty much every hour of gameplay. We think that string count "equalizes" at some point, which means its going to increase for awhile then stabilize pretty much for the rest of the game. The only problem is what if its 'stable' point is over 65k?

My best advice would be to start a new game, go straight to Whiterun, buy a horse, then ride once around the map. See how high your string count has climbed after this, and decide if you feel like you've got enough cushion room or if you are going to have to find other places to cut down.

Its a really frustrating thing, but at least we now know it is a thing, and with any luck the great minds behind skse and other things will find a solution, but we definitely shouldn't hold our breath since there's no guarantee a solution is going to be forthcoming.

Its a really frustrating thing, but at least we now know it is a thing, and with any luck the great minds behind skse and other things will find a solution, but we definitely shouldn't hold our breath since there's no guarantee a solution is going to be forthcoming.

Sheson found something of a solution when he made the beta scripts for DynDOLOD - they shunt the load off into json, reducing the string count of that mod to a tenth of its former size.

Without access to Skyrims source code this may be the only solution available, the task now is to persuade other mod creators to use it.

Well it's how SKSE & Enboost already work, applications running in parallel with Skyrim, shouldering the memory load.

Now it'll be SKSE, Enboost & JSON doing the heavy lifting and making optimal use of your system memory & VRAM.

Hell if creators are only able to reduce the string counts of their mods by 50% that still means we've just doubled the amount of crap we can shove into our load orders :dance:

Until we hit the json limit anyways.

I won't even pretend to be versed in mod creation, Skyrim scripting, or strings. However, I am a programmer with over 30 years of experience which, you can probably figure, means that I worked in the medieval era of programming when we really had to control the number of variables we used.

What exactly do strings do and how are they handled?

The limit of 64k strings may not be an issue as much as efficient scripting/programming may be. Hear me out...

If Sheson is pushing out to JSON, he's most likely doing it to convert to/from arrays in the scripting. In other words, 64k strings is not an issue IF they're used properly.

The MCMs are a great example because, if I'm writing a program properly, 1 MCM = 1 string, the MCM's tabs are your first array dimensions, it's categories and items within those tabs are a second dimension, and they're values a third dimension. One string, one 3D array. The same would hold true for dialogue trees, special items and their states, and so on.

As I said at the top, I don't pretend to know how or why the strings work or what they're used for, but it seems to me that IF they can be limited by utilizing arrays for collections of data instead of independent strings, from a programming perspective, then they should be limited through the use of arrays.

There are certainly efficiencies to be gained but you tell that to the author of Interesting NPCs for eg. with 6000 script fragments to rewrite. Not a nice proposition, particularly when there's nothing actually wrong with the mod.

Updated the OP with some more info.