Photoshop or GIMP - What is better

I have a copy of Photoshop CS3 in my posession and also GIMP which I am more familiar, but what is better?

I know Photoshop is more fancy in its overallness but what makes it better than GIMP? GIMP ihas many, many features and what does it not have that Photoshop has to offer?

For example, the Tool comparison

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/images/40484-1-1307885825.jpg

The advantage of the Gimp is that it is free, and it is a great program. Now if you have Photoshop....I would use it. For me it is easier to see and manipulate the color channels with PShop, although I have used The Gimp quite a lot too.

Haven't had much experience with Photoshop, but when I tried GIMP years ago its user interface was clearly designed by some Unix fanboy on steroids, dead set on making everything as non- Windows standard as possible. It took me about five minutes to figure out how to change the brush shape and switch between layers.

These days I use paint.net for all my image editing needs.

Haven't had much experience with Photoshop, but when I tried GIMP years ago its user interface was clearly designed by some Unix fanboy on steroids, dead set on making everything as non- Windows standard as possible. It took me about five minutes to figure out how to change the brush shape and switch between layers.

These days I use paint.net for all my image editing needs.

Funny, I tried Photoshop on my dad's computer and found it indecipherable, while GIMP was easy to figure out.

I think both are great, one thing I like (and I may simply have missed something for Photoshop here) is the DDS plug-in for Gimp, over the DDS plug-in for CS3; it just seems so much more logically put together. It isn't really a functionality thing either - both work just like they should.

If I still did print graphics or used any other Adobe product (Acrobat Pro, InDesign, Fireworks, etc), Photoshop would have a huge edge simply because of interoperability; for image retouching on stuff that'll never see paper, or modding for GECK/TESCS, Gimp is more than sufficient. Paint.NET is nice too - native DDS support, very clean UI, etc.

Both are good in their own respect. Photo shop I find has much nicer filters, but GIMP overall has a much nicer feel to it. I would like to have photoshop, but I would probably make whatever I am crating in gimp, put it through photo shop filters, and than bring it back to do mapping. I would say GIMP is better in my opinion though (+ its free) :happy: Edited by tttttt

I find that GIMP is better for the more simple stuff... the stuff you need ain't hidden 20 sub-folders down somewhere.

Price/performance is GIMP's win hands-down... cus you know.. it's free.

Considering complexity and amount of options Photoshop is the winner.

Edited by Adrius2