Will this render Oblivion unplayable

Recently, I heard that Oblivion does not support multi-core processors. Since I'm planning on buying a new computer soon, I'd likely end up buying a multicore processor. The model I'm looking at is a 4x 2.20 GB. Now, I'm pretty sure I'd technically be capable of playing the game, but 2.20 GB is (correct me if I'm wrong) below or just barely above Oblivion's minimum system requirements, and if the game can only take advantage of one core, that's how much processing power the game will get. I like this game a lot, but I'm not planning on designing whatever new computer I'm buying on it.

That's pretty much correct. Having said that, the game may still be playable but without some of the cosmetic enhancements and CPU- (as opposed to GPU-) based eye candy. You might also need to run at a lower resolution or with the viewing distance turned down a notch. But, realistically, if you are used to a 3.0GHz single core or thereabouts, you'll notice quite a drop when shifting to 2.2GHz. Skyrim will, hopefully, be fine though.

Having said that, it's worth making all our usual recommended tweaks if you DO want to try it - separate sound card is a must, and having at least 4GB of RAM (and using the 3GB patch); Defragging daily, and using Windows 7's readyboost to effectively gain a fast RAM disk for virtual memory; Tweaking your antivirus to avoid "on access" scanning; and don't go for "power user" mods like Better Cities and Unique Landscapes where you are pushing the processing power WAY over its original limits.

Edited by MarkInMKUK

I have an Intel Core 2 Quad (quad core) cpu and 4 GB RAM, running at 2.50 GHz. Vista 64 bit. My video card is an Nvidia 9800.

I run Oblivion at almost top settings for everything and at a higher resolution. I've had no significant problems at all. With some of the programs here, like Stutter Remover, my gameplay is pretty smooth, especially considering I'm also running like 240+ mods as well. So based on my experiences, I'm thinking you won't have much of a problem at all. I figure I'm all set for Skyrim. :thumbsup:

(hope this color is better Mark :smile: Let me know if it's not!)

The idea of the "multiple cores not supported" thing is that Oblivion doesn't really make good use of all the cores, and if you have problems and call their service hotline, they can't help you (that's what "not supported" originally meant anyway). It doesn't mean it won't work.

You can still play. I myself have an AMD Phenom x4 2.2 GHz. The game is playable even with rather high settings (and OBGE). I think your GPU will be more important a factor for this.

Note: AMD processors noticeably outperform the Intel equivalents at the same clock speed - a Phenom at 2.2 is close to an Intel chip at 2.6-2.7GHz. I'm using an older AMD Dual core at 3GHz, and it beats the same clock speed Intel dual core in another PC hands down for speed.