Outside Looking In: Does Real-Time Combat Even Work?

Moldy

So,I want Fallout 4. I really do. I have a hunch I'd love it. I've been doing research into the game mechanics without spoiling the plot for myself (Largely by looking up the perks on the wiki),and the same trend keeps popping up. Every single combat bonus in Fallout 4 seems to apply exclusively to VATS. Hell,you can't even crit outside of VATS anymore! In Fallout,I prefer to fight in real-time,because I am confident in my ability to aim; At extreme ranges in Fallout 3 and New Vegas,I am able to blow a moving target's head off with a non-sniper weapon,consistently. So,I'd rather not leave it up to RNG to land that critical shot; 95% chance to hit is still a 5% chance to miss,and I find that unacceptable when I know I can land that hit on my own 100% of the time.

So,I have to ask; Is real-time combat in Fallout 4 viable? Or is my understanding flawed? If so,set me straight.

fo4's combat was improved by ID software the people who made doom since they are from the same company. if you wanted you dont even have to use vats but it helps in combat.

If you are the kind of player that likes shooter games, you should even want to have critical hits. There is nothing realistic about a bullet magically doing more damage just because you have raised your critical bar. It is an rpg element for rpg style gamer who like to use VATS.

Keep the VATS stuff like criticals in VATS and keep the shooter elements clean. Everyone should be happy here.

Except for when you hit an enemy in a critical area (head / center mass / limb) and therefore do more damage than a non-critical area. The crit for localized damage system was invented in tabletop RPGs just for that reason. It's Bethesda that introduced a crit bar which gives you more damage regardless of where you hit, and that's what's wonky here. I think VATS is too OP and they put that in as barrier against multiple crits maybe? Iunno.

To the OP: My modded setup includes No Sneak Attack Damage + Difficulty and Combat Realism (Normal difficulty with enemies kept to within 5 levels of my char) + Arbitration, and I play without VATS in combat. The crits / other damage seems to work out very well with this mod combo. You will always crit on critical areas when stealthed, but you will only sometimes crit when not.

If you try this mod combo, be aware crits work both ways, enemies can and will crit you right back. Happy fighting!

It does seem that Perception, Agility, and Luck have heavy investment in VATs. I have a hard time copy and paste the details on wikia mobile site so go look it up yourself.

But having said that, you can perfectly play this game like a FPS like Counterstrike or Call of Duty. Don't expect this to be more simulated like something from Rainbow Six. However, strangely, I saw my settler vault over an obstacle, but our own character we have to jump like Super Mario.

I personally enjoy the ability to switch in between. I have weapons configured to FPS style, and other weapons configured to use for VATs: example, I configure Hunter rifle with long barrel (range), and reflect sight (-15% VATs), short stock (-VATs), suppressor (that perk + sneak damage). Such weapon would make a poor sniper weapon but it works perfectly in VATs. I even put Furious legend mod on it, that it will increase damage per shot if we keep hitting one body part. Great for dealing with boss like targets.

Short answer: if you just treat it like FPS it will be FPS. You can download a mod to disable VATs entirely so you won't get any idea while playing.

Agility still offers good AP point for energy (sprint) and Sneak bonus scales with Agility. Perception, hmmm what does perception offer without VATs? Easier lock pick? But over all, all SPECIALs are meant to unlock perks. So you do need them.

However, strangely, I saw my settler vault over an obstacle, but our own character we have to jump like Super Mario.

There's a mod called Take Cover that implements a 3rd person cover system in Fallout 4 including vaulting obstacles. It's only just come out recently.