I Need Tips To Increase FPS

muratguler

Hi All

I’ve been playing the game for about 250 hours and this is my second time. About 3 weeks ago, i had virus problem in my laptop and i scanned my laptop with several antivirus and and antispyware programmes. After these scans, my computer was cleaned but the average fps of my Oblivion decreased. The only explanation comes to my mind is, the programmes that i used to clean my laptop unintentially erased some of the files from Oblivion folder and this causes fps drops (if this is somehow possible). Maybe summer hot slows down my laptop, i am not sure about the reason. Except for the in-game video detail adjustments sliders, i need tips to increase my game's fps. I am using Official Mods, Shivering Isles 1.2.014, OOO 1.34, Unofficial Patch 3.2.0, tons of custom modes, Obse Loader 1.8, OBMM 1.1.12, BOSS Mod Ordering, Streamline, 3 GB Ram Enabler, Oblivion Stutter Remover, Unofficial Patch Supplementals-27710-3-3-5 and Mod Conflict Detector. My game folder is around 17 GB and i don’t use any texture quality increasing mods such as Qarl’s Texture Pack. My laptop scores 13.700 points at 3DMark05 test with its overclocked Ati 5650 VGA and Intel I3 2.13 Ghz. My OS is Win7 Ultimate and i run the game at XP SP2 compatibility mode. I play at 1600x900 resolution with 17 inch laptop and, as you know, laptops graphic quality is best at its original resolution so i don’t want to lower the resolution.

Thanks

Edited by murat guler

Check for background processes. Things like vonage, magic jack or Skype. IM type programs and other background processes can cause slow down.

Antivirus programs - if set to scan every read and write can slow things down considerably as Oblivion does a lot of reading and writing to the Hard drive. Most have a setting that allows you to exempt certain programs from this constant scanning.

You may want to try a program that closes many background processes, such as the FREE version of Gamebooster.

http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=5952

Just watch out for the spamware it will try to stick you with when you install it. That spamware is the reason they can make it free though.

If you don´t mind the graphic quality too much, you could also decrease the grass sight distance. And there are other performance tweaks for the Oblivion.ini. Just google "Oblivion.ini performance tweaks". I promise you´ll find something!

Do a forum search on FPS - we've given advice several times in the last few months and if you read and try everything to do with FPS since (say) Christmas, you'll be 99% there.

turn off music and sound effects (especially install Quite Feet Max) --- as strange as it sounds -- sound can rob FPS

Mods like nowind, low poly trees/grass - or even turn off grass

turn off all shadows and water detail (most land has water under it - also robs fps)

Can you even DO a search on "FPS"? Most of the forum search engines are set to want a minimum of four characters......

Seemed to work ok on a reasonably quick check - just needed to limit it to Oblivion though

Can you even DO a search on "FPS"? Most of the forum search engines are set to want a minimum of four characters......

Seemed to work ok on a reasonably quick check - just needed to limit it to Oblivion though

Good to know. Thanks. :D

Also, turning off grass sway in the oblivion ini helps too..... I think it is some windmagnitude settings, or some such.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this: Operation Optimization, Streamline, and Oblivion Stutter Remover. These are by far the best mods that help you with your FPS. They're all available here at tesnexus. Edited by silenzer