Fallout 4 Survival Mode Beta

SirSalami

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #36105510. #36107130, #36108145, #36111230, #36111695, #36111880, #36112075, #36112165, #36112205, #36114300, #36114565, #36115285, #36116105, #36116520, #36119260, #36119480 are all replies on the same post.

Uthuriel wrote: https://community.bethesda.net/thread/2952

Bethesda disabled the console in the "new" survival mode

good job -.-
HippeusOmega wrote: Yeah I was really suprised by this. I get they don't want gamers cheating but console is used for a lot more then cheating.
Zaxen069 wrote: wow that ..... sucks console to fun to mess with i mean i use for testing out mods i DL or if i feel liek fighting a bunch of npc's or something guess we'll have to wait for modders to renable it
calleb666 wrote: Console yeah, how many games give you this console option? The number close to zero. They obviously had their reasons to disable it, stop whining already
starfis wrote: Was it confirmed by someone official that the console is disabled as part of the Survival overhaul and not just as part of beta testing? I know they didn't disabled it during previous beta updates or during Automatron prerelease, but maybe they want to know what can happen without console interfering similar to disabling mods. If it truly is a "feature", this beta and all that crying about it may simply prove them that disabling it is not best idea. Cheating in singleplayer game is ruining only my own experience, if this is their only reason. And in the end, enabling console will probably take a second when the CK is released next month so who really care.
jet4571 wrote: And wait until you get stuck between 2 static objects and cant get out. No TCL command to get unstuck. Good Job Bethesda!
Skramel wrote: Yeah, cool, but clipping in stones and walls though...
Skramel wrote: don't be ridiculous. There such thing as "trainers", you know? But bugs and glitches still in this fn game, but now without console
popcorn71 wrote: On the one hand, I can understand Bethesda wanting to ensure that their beta test environment is 'clean' and reduce the amount of false bug reports brought on by irresponsible modding.

On the other hand they will never be able to test the robustness of their code without testing it real world situations (ie: with mods and console). I wouldn't want to be them when they finally decide to open up mod to consoles...
Tantalus010 wrote: @popcorn - At this point, I'll be extremely surprised if full console modding ever happens. I think a lot of console players expect it to, but I think Bethesda really only intends to deliver simple mods like recolors. I mean, how will modders mod the console version? On PC and then port the mods over? On the consoles themselves? If on the consoles, then how? Bethesda's tools have always obviously been designed solely for keyboard/mouse. How will scripting work? What happens when consoles start crashing/freezing/bricking because of poorly scripted mods?

All I'm saying: console modding is going to be a far more complex undertaking than most realize. Maybe even more complex than Bethesda realizes, given that they jumped whole hog into the paid modding scene for Skyrim without thinking it through very well. Less than 24 hours after release, there was a legal issue.
Gambit77 wrote: kiss quality screenshots goodbye
Polydine wrote: makes sense, unlike other patches they need to check game balance as well as bugs.
popcorn71 wrote: @ Tantalus010
My understanding is that the only difference between the console and PC version of the game is the executable file. Bethesda uses a very modular, 'plug and play' approach to modding, so there is no technical reason why any mod that does not require changes to ini files or direct changes to the executable to work would not on both the PC AND the console versions of the game.

The issue of weather or not current console hardware can handle the overhead incurred from mods is a completely separate issue. Watching you Xbox fry its self trying to render all 4k textures isn't the same the game not loading the extra dll file required for script extenders to work.

The bottom line is that any 'normal' mod that only requires an esp/esm plus a few meshes and textures to work should work regardless of the hardware, so long is it does not make edits conflict with the edits made by another mod.
Zaxen069 wrote: @calleb666 Considering we had it from the start/ it's normal for Fallout/Elder Scroll Games it's a reasonable compliant + if you factor in how the console helps with some of the bugs in their games and really if you want to cheat with the console it's your choice hell if you wanted to you could just as easily cheat with mods
Tantalus010 wrote: @popcorn - Oh I'm sure the file structure is similar, but console players can't even browse/edit their game files. Thus, they have no way of installing any mod that requires a manual installation (like ENB). Even if everything were plug and play, this is completely new ground and Bethesda is not known for releasing bug-free software. Hell, they're not even known for fixing all (or even most of) their bugs.
RaffTheSweetling wrote: Pretty sure in Saugus Ironworks offices there are a whole lot of chairs placed in the wrong direction so If you click on one and accidentally sit down you end up stuck half in/half out the wall and facing an instant-death drop down to the floor below you. Without the console or the quicksave this sort of thing is gonna be a huge pain in the Ar$e.

@calleb666

Never
go
full
retarded.

In response to post #36114615.

dikr wrote: Really excited about this.

I only played FO:NV on Survival mode / Very Hard. Still that was fairly easy once you knew the ropes and where to find the good stuff. The added realism by the additions mentioned in this announcement should be even better. On paper it reads like a perfect open world survival sim.

There's only so much realism before a game isn't fun anymore, though. Curious about how the inability to fast-travel will affect the looting part of the game. If I'd have to decide to leave behind good stuff all the time it might sour the experience quite a bit. (And everything not nailed down can be considered 'good stuff' when you look at settlement building needs in this game).

In that sense, limiting fast traveling to (only) between your settlements connected with supply routes might be a slightly more gameplay friendly alternative ...

At least for modders it will open a whole new range of possibilities & inspiration.

Pack Brahmin & portable sleeping bags! We shall need them :)

If you are fast travelling for looting purposes then limiting fast travel to settlement connected by supply lines in kind of pointless. Just salvage and dump your junk in the closest settlement and go back to adventuring. I do like the idea though, mainly for convenience cause some places are just so damn annoying to get to, I would go as far as introducing craftable brahmin taxi stations with a fairly high crafting cost that will take to other settlements for a reasonable fair. .

Pack Brakmin and bedrolls will happen, I am sure of it. There is probably someone smarter than me working on it right now.

In response to post #36118980. #36119310, #36119560 are all replies on the same post.

Gary112 wrote: I've only played about 15 minutes of survival mode, but it just seems so easy. There is way too much stuff. I didn't even leave Sanctuary and had almost a dozen stimpaks, half a dozen radaway and 10 bobby pins. And that was with a character with 2 luck. I would love to play survival mode with a good loot overhaul mod.
Tantalus010 wrote: What? On regular modes, I start with around 4 luck and I'm lucky if I leave Sanctuary with 1 radaway, 1 bobby pin, and maybe 10 stimpacks.
Gary112 wrote: Yeah, I have no idea what's going on. I also opened one of the safes and found 25 pre war money.

Your luck is better than mine, played for about 2 hours and I am constantly starved for stimpacks. especially since I have to waste them on my retarded companions that keep trying to facetank everything. Edited by Baboo77

In response to post #36118980. #36119310, #36119560, #36120160 are all replies on the same post.

Gary112 wrote: I've only played about 15 minutes of survival mode, but it just seems so easy. There is way too much stuff. I didn't even leave Sanctuary and had almost a dozen stimpaks, half a dozen radaway and 10 bobby pins. And that was with a character with 2 luck. I would love to play survival mode with a good loot overhaul mod.
Tantalus010 wrote: What? On regular modes, I start with around 4 luck and I'm lucky if I leave Sanctuary with 1 radaway, 1 bobby pin, and maybe 10 stimpacks.
Gary112 wrote: Yeah, I have no idea what's going on. I also opened one of the safes and found 25 pre war money.
Baboo77 wrote: Your luck is better than mine, played for about 2 hours and I am constantly starved for stimpacks. especially since I have to waste them on my retarded companions that keep trying to facetank everything.

Tantalus, are you remembering to raid the secret meth lab (read basement) of the one house?

In response to post #36119405. #36119450 is also a reply to the same post.

Lurker163 wrote: I downloaded it realised it disabled mods and rolled back. Still my mods wont work. All my txt files are set correctly as they were but it still wont work. How frustrating.
Tantalus010 wrote: I did the same and my mods work fine. Did you actually boot the game in beta mode?

Wait a moment.

Tantalus, you opted in, didn't launch, heard about the mods, then rolled back and your mods work...

But Lurker, you opted in, launched, realized it disabled mods, rolled back, and it still refuses your mods?

That sounds like a registry change.

if the console wasn't disabled, the first thing people would do be like making a batch file that loads game plugins one-by-one through the hlp (hot load plugin) command, which kinda defeats the purpose of having mods force-disabled.

now. they say you can still play their dlc, huh? now we only need to merge our favorite plugins into that dlc master file and we're all set :3

edit: also, what about that .ini setting sStartingConsoleCommand that allows you to automatically execute console commands?

edit2: yep. it works. so you can load your plugins through the hlp command :3

Edited by ngneko

In response to post #36114615. #36120090 is also a reply to the same post.

dikr wrote: Really excited about this.

I only played FO:NV on Survival mode / Very Hard. Still that was fairly easy once you knew the ropes and where to find the good stuff. The added realism by the additions mentioned in this announcement should be even better. On paper it reads like a perfect open world survival sim.

There's only so much realism before a game isn't fun anymore, though. Curious about how the inability to fast-travel will affect the looting part of the game. If I'd have to decide to leave behind good stuff all the time it might sour the experience quite a bit. (And everything not nailed down can be considered 'good stuff' when you look at settlement building needs in this game).

In that sense, limiting fast traveling to (only) between your settlements connected with supply routes might be a slightly more gameplay friendly alternative ...

At least for modders it will open a whole new range of possibilities & inspiration.

Pack Brahmin & portable sleeping bags! We shall need them :)

Baboo77 wrote: If you are fast travelling for looting purposes then limiting fast travel to settlement connected by supply lines in kind of pointless. Just salvage and dump your junk in the closest settlement and go back to adventuring. I do like the idea though, mainly for convenience cause some places are just so damn annoying to get to, I would go as far as introducing craftable brahmin taxi stations with a fairly high crafting cost that will take to other settlements for a reasonable fair. .

Pack Brakmin and bedrolls will happen, I am sure of it. There is probably someone smarter than me working on it right now.

That's what Brotherhood of Steel Vertibirds are for!! They'll actually have a damn good use now. Carrying too much s#*!? Call a vertibird to fly you to a settlement safely!!

In response to post #36105510. #36107130, #36108145, #36111230, #36111695, #36111880, #36112075, #36112165, #36112205, #36114300, #36114565, #36115285, #36116105, #36116520, #36119260, #36119480, #36120035 are all replies on the same post.

Uthuriel wrote: https://community.bethesda.net/thread/2952

Bethesda disabled the console in the "new" survival mode

good job -.-
HippeusOmega wrote: Yeah I was really suprised by this. I get they don't want gamers cheating but console is used for a lot more then cheating.
Zaxen069 wrote: wow that ..... sucks console to fun to mess with i mean i use for testing out mods i DL or if i feel liek fighting a bunch of npc's or something guess we'll have to wait for modders to renable it
calleb666 wrote: Console yeah, how many games give you this console option? The number close to zero. They obviously had their reasons to disable it, stop whining already
starfis wrote: Was it confirmed by someone official that the console is disabled as part of the Survival overhaul and not just as part of beta testing? I know they didn't disabled it during previous beta updates or during Automatron prerelease, but maybe they want to know what can happen without console interfering similar to disabling mods. If it truly is a "feature", this beta and all that crying about it may simply prove them that disabling it is not best idea. Cheating in singleplayer game is ruining only my own experience, if this is their only reason. And in the end, enabling console will probably take a second when the CK is released next month so who really care.
jet4571 wrote: And wait until you get stuck between 2 static objects and cant get out. No TCL command to get unstuck. Good Job Bethesda!
Skramel wrote: Yeah, cool, but clipping in stones and walls though...
Skramel wrote: don't be ridiculous. There such thing as "trainers", you know? But bugs and glitches still in this fn game, but now without console
popcorn71 wrote: On the one hand, I can understand Bethesda wanting to ensure that their beta test environment is 'clean' and reduce the amount of false bug reports brought on by irresponsible modding.

On the other hand they will never be able to test the robustness of their code without testing it real world situations (ie: with mods and console). I wouldn't want to be them when they finally decide to open up mod to consoles...
Tantalus010 wrote: @popcorn - At this point, I'll be extremely surprised if full console modding ever happens. I think a lot of console players expect it to, but I think Bethesda really only intends to deliver simple mods like recolors. I mean, how will modders mod the console version? On PC and then port the mods over? On the consoles themselves? If on the consoles, then how? Bethesda's tools have always obviously been designed solely for keyboard/mouse. How will scripting work? What happens when consoles start crashing/freezing/bricking because of poorly scripted mods?

All I'm saying: console modding is going to be a far more complex undertaking than most realize. Maybe even more complex than Bethesda realizes, given that they jumped whole hog into the paid modding scene for Skyrim without thinking it through very well. Less than 24 hours after release, there was a legal issue.
Gambit77 wrote: kiss quality screenshots goodbye
Polydine wrote: makes sense, unlike other patches they need to check game balance as well as bugs.
popcorn71 wrote: @ Tantalus010
My understanding is that the only difference between the console and PC version of the game is the executable file. Bethesda uses a very modular, 'plug and play' approach to modding, so there is no technical reason why any mod that does not require changes to ini files or direct changes to the executable to work would not on both the PC AND the console versions of the game.

The issue of weather or not current console hardware can handle the overhead incurred from mods is a completely separate issue. Watching you Xbox fry its self trying to render all 4k textures isn't the same the game not loading the extra dll file required for script extenders to work.

The bottom line is that any 'normal' mod that only requires an esp/esm plus a few meshes and textures to work should work regardless of the hardware, so long is it does not make edits conflict with the edits made by another mod.
Zaxen069 wrote: @calleb666 Considering we had it from the start/ it's normal for Fallout/Elder Scroll Games it's a reasonable compliant + if you factor in how the console helps with some of the bugs in their games and really if you want to cheat with the console it's your choice hell if you wanted to you could just as easily cheat with mods
Tantalus010 wrote: @popcorn - Oh I'm sure the file structure is similar, but console players can't even browse/edit their game files. Thus, they have no way of installing any mod that requires a manual installation (like ENB). Even if everything were plug and play, this is completely new ground and Bethesda is not known for releasing bug-free software. Hell, they're not even known for fixing all (or even most of) their bugs.
RaffTheSweetling wrote: Pretty sure in Saugus Ironworks offices there are a whole lot of chairs placed in the wrong direction so If you click on one and accidentally sit down you end up stuck half in/half out the wall and facing an instant-death drop down to the floor below you. Without the console or the quicksave this sort of thing is gonna be a huge pain in the Ar$e.
MythDinoex wrote: @calleb666

Never
go
full
retarded.

Anyone want to take bets on how long until a mod comes along that re enables console in the game? My guess: 2 weeks.