The Best Settlement?

Fatalmasterpiece

I'm assuming most people have a "headquarters" if you will. The spot they invest the most time and equipment into when building a settlement.

On my first playthrough, the Startlight Drive In was my primary settlement. It has a water source and no major obstructing landmasses made it easy to build on. This has me thinking, it's possibly the best settlement in the game...

On my second playthrough I wanted something different. I focused on Sanctuary until I could get the Castle quest and then made that my HQ. While the Castle is very formidable, the relatively limited space inside doesn't leave much to work with. The interior corridors get confusing sometimes and it's just kind of too busy in general.

Some say Spectacle Island is the best since it has the most landmass. Being so far away from everything however is prohibitive because I don't use fast travel personally.

What is the best Settlement HQ for you all?

Given Survival Mode now disables fast travel, for people using that difficulty setting, a central location will probably be an important factor. Sanctuary Hills and the Castle are literally on opposite sides of the map, and a long walk from much of the Commonwealth. ='[.]'=

Mmh, personally, I think I don't have a headquarters... I'm always roaming around between the settlements that are closer to me at the given time and spreading my stuff randomly. I would say Sanctuary was where I kept more crap at the beginning of the game, since I didn't have much settlements at the time, but I still wouldn't call it a headquarters since it's not developed at all. It's more of a resources farming place than a architecturally developed one.

I don't go crazy with decorating in any of my settlements because my graphics card has a very defined limit of stuff it can load into a single frame, since it's a 1GB VRAM model, still, I can say I also loved Starlight Drive In for building, although I decided to keep all the cars. I also had a ton of fun with Overland Station, being one of my favorites for some reason, Outpost Zimonja together with it. Slog I didn't like so much, but it ended up not so bad, the Forged idiots are always lighting up the place. I got power armors spread across all of these, being a big cluster of them in Sanctuary (5) and Castle (3).

I've made it a goal to establish a different settlement as my primary base on each play through I do. This way I'm always coming up with new ideas and not rebuilding the same settlement over and over.

As for survival, I plan on building the essentials at every settlement I unlock, so they'll all have at least a bed, weapon/armor/chem craft stations, something to cook food on, and then something I haven't seen many people comment on yet is I plan on really utilizing the faction assistance more than I ever have before, so every settlement will have an artillery and I'll be using flairs and vertibirds more than I have before. People forget...you may not be able to fast travel, but vertibirds get around the map pretty quick..

I used Taffington Boathouse to great effect during a playthrough and even significantly built it up.

You can check out my images space on my profile here and you'll see I really pushed the heck out of the build and highly customized the space to great effect.

My point is that the amount of actual land space to build upon is not an issue.

I was using Precision Placement and Rotation which used a hotkey file via the console.

Now I'm using F4SE with Place Anywhere and even started building a Taffington Boathouse 2....Which is coming along at quite a break neck pace in comparison actually I was alarmed how fast it was to get the initial layout completed.

I really quite enjoy doing at least something to each plot of land I come across in the game and have found this Placement mod allows me to remove or change existing stuff very quickly so say there is an existing structure with a broken roof...I can just remove the broken roof and build a floor right over it and it works. It only takes like 1/2 hour or less to make some quick edits with some of the mods now available.

I'd say that a central location might be ideal in a no fast travel playthrough and with the mods available like that well it wont be a problem.

Before long the actual release of Survival Mode will be out and any hindrances of this mode will be modded out.

Edited by gamefever

I've made it a goal to establish a different settlement as my primary base on each play through I do. This way I'm always coming up with new ideas and not rebuilding the same settlement over and over.

As for survival, I plan on building the essentials at every settlement I unlock, so they'll all have at least a bed, weapon/armor/chem craft stations, something to cook food on, and then something I haven't seen many people comment on yet is I plan on really utilizing the faction assistance more than I ever have before, so every settlement will have an artillery and I'll be using flairs and vertibirds more than I have before. People forget...you may not be able to fast travel, but vertibirds get around the map pretty quick..

Great point, pretty much what I plan to do as well.

I actually use the artillery strikes pretty often, although they usually become more of an nuisance than actually being helpful.

To exemplify exactly what I mean: https://youtu.be/ULk6TONsakE?t=25m35s

Cool video and you're right. Artillery seems better as an Alpha strike than anything.

• 2 weeks later...