Please use the 'Author' and 'Description' spaces in th

1Monk

It seems lots of modders, new ones at least, aren't really aware of the space dedicated in the plugin file for entering the Author's name and a short description (the one in the plugin loading dialog).

It very simple to use, you don't even have to click 'OK' make it stick it's that easy. and everyone likes to sign their name on their creation. right?

Perhaps this is just my personal little quest for order, but putting "Version: #.#" and maybe a one-line description (or more) of what's it all about would go some way to make users (and me) just a tiny bit happier.

It's understandable to an extent as the NV GECK spazzes out about those dialogue boxes and discards whatever changes you make half the time. I always have to use NVEdit to enter content.

Yeah.. my first one I couldn't get it to take changes in those fields for the life of me and gave up.

Hmm, I always assumed that if I include a whole text with each mod, including what it does, where to get it, what is the changes history, etc, it would be fairly easy to find out whodunit and what it does. I mean, next to the, say, 30mmVladimirGun.esp there'll be a 30mmVladimirGun.txt that says a lot more than would fit in that box. Edited by Moraelin

I mostly limit what I put in there.

For the "Author" field I put:

-- Author

-- Version

-- Date

In the description box:

-- Author / Version / Data on the first line since in ESM files the GECK displays Bethesda in the Author field.

-- Plugin Name (Object ID Prefix)

-- (Optional) 10 words or less description

The Author / Date / Version / Name (Prefix) are useful to me to know what version I'm editing and remember the prefix (usually DXE but not always)

The most useful thing to know about keeping these up to date is exactly what a previous poster said: you can open GECK quickly, then on the "Load Plugin" window you can select a plugin and edit the Author and Description and click [X] you do not have to load the plugin, so these can be updated very quickly.

Edited by drakeelvin

I try to use those dialog boxes as much as possible.

But I'm kinda put off doing it often because of a lack of "Save-as" button in the Geck then putting that information.

I'd like to put a version system into it and not have to manually do it everytime I want to change the version number.

I'm more used to Save-As then putting in the version number.

• 4 years later...

It's understandable to an extent as the NV GECK spazzes out about those dialogue boxes and discards whatever changes you make half the time. I always have to use NVEdit to enter content.

Yeah.. my first one I couldn't get it to take changes in those fields for the life of me and gave up.

In case anyone else is searching this: I had to open the Geck (FO3) with "run as administrator" to get this to work and I don't even have the game installed in the default directory. Totally spaz-free editing of these fields.