If I delete FalloutNV.ESM files in an ESM what happens?

ozziefire

I've noticed a lot of files have zero users in things from Fallout3 nonNV or just duplicaates etc. Now I know some stuff may be used by scripts so shouldn't be deleted or alted, but what if I altered an unused item into something I used or deleted one in the esp, does it just get overriden by the ESM? Or am I going to cause weird crashy crap by altering / removing unused stuff?

You shouldn't directly edit falloutnv.esm, ever.

Yes I know that, but I meant when you delete the files in a GECK ESP that have FalloutNV as their master, does that also delete them from the ESM or do you have to specifically edit the FalloutNV.ESM to screw it up?

I just realised I screwed up the thread title I meant "If I delete FalloutNV.ESM files in an ESP what happens?"

Maybe if you were more specific with what you're doing. You could craft an esp that delete a vanilla reference. That would not be good. This was shown pretty well in fallout 3 to lead to crashes, corrupted saves, and weirder stuff. That's why you should only hide or disable vanilla refs, not delete them.

Maybe if you were more specific with what you're doing. You could craft an esp that delete a vanilla reference. That would not be good. This was shown pretty well in fallout 3 to lead to crashes, corrupted saves, and weirder stuff. That's why you should only hide or disable vanilla refs, not delete them.

I think I deleted a vanilla reference in a mod ESP I made, but aren't sure what it was called, I haven't noticed anything bad happen and FNEdit seems happy with the ESP as far as I can tell.

I was looking at all the levelled item lists like "WithLoot308HuntingRifleRaider" with only a couple of uses and wondering if there would be any gain by replacing them with the "WithAmmo308HuntingRifle" then deleting them, I'm guessing probably not as you'd be adding an modded reference for each one you removed and by the sounds it wouldn't really remove them anyway.

I have done the same thing myself. Normally for me if I close the GECK and then reopen it the reference or any other thing I accidently deleted is restored via the esm. That is the whole point of not editing the ESM. Screw up an ESP no big deal screw up the ESM you have just screwed your game. You cannot edit an ESM by accident. You have to want to edit it and convert the ESM to ESP to edit it. At least that is they way I have always understood it.

That is why the GECK is set up to create and edit ESP's only. So if worst comes to worst you may have to start over on the esp. but the ESM remains untouched by any changes you have made.

• 3 weeks later...