My first Smartphone...

I'm going to be getting a new cell phone at the end of this month, and I have wanted to get into the smartphone scene for quite some time now.

So, I figured that would ask the people of this lovely forum for any tips regarding various cell phones.

If it helps, I would like a phone that runs Android. I'm not too sure if I will be using a data plan with Verizon or AT&T.

Any help is much appreciated. :thumbsup:

Cheers,

IndorilTheGreat

agreed with Commander ^^

i have a Droid Eris. all my friends who have and iPhone only have one cause their parents pay for it. i pay for my phone myself and went witht he droid, but they all want one instead of the iphone. also Verizon is 10x better then AT&T. (on that note, if you wanna get the new PSP Vita, its only going to run off of AT&T so just saying lol)

i cannot really provide any info or data on what is the best smartphone and/or why. ive heard from many iphone users that droid is better. heard from many a geek that droid is better. i like my droid personally (though i wouldnt go as far as to say the Eris is the best, ive had my issues with it) but ya droid is the way to go imo

Droid is great. I'd wholeheartedly recommend one, although I myself use a Symbian ^3 based phone (MUCH better than the previous Symbian releases).

As long as you pick a phone based on either of those, you should be pretty much alright. Make sure to post what you think you should go with, and read a few reviews.

Want a good smartphone? Dont get anything with an apple logo on it.

I'd go into detail, but i'm on my phone. Cbf using the tiny keyboard to type 7 pages or so.

i have an iphone4 and i agree. people only buy it for the logo. funny thing my friends think its really cool which i find stupid. 300 bucks and you cant use the full internet, no memory cards.

What sort of budget do you have? Both HTC and Samsung have some very good handsets out at the moment. Oh and as others have said avoid Apple, they really are limited and over-priced.

What sort of budget do you have? Both HTC and Samsung have some very good handsets out at the moment. Oh and as others have said avoid Apple, they really are limited and over-priced.

Well, I'm not particularly worried (too much) about the budget. What I am worried about, is the expense of the data plan(s).

At the very least, I would need to pay around $70 a month with Verizon (not including tax). I'm not planning on going with Apple, as I already have an old first generation iPod Touch.

In all honesty, $ 70 a month seems rather steep.

Well, I'm not particularly worried (too much) about the budget. What I am worried about, is the expense of the data plan(s).

At the very least, I would need to pay around $70 a month with Verizon (not including tax). I'm not planning on going with Apple, as I already have an old first generation iPod Touch.

In all honesty, $ 70 a month seems rather steep.

Good lord that's steep, I pay the equivalent of $25ish PCM for 10 hours calls, unlimited SMS and 1GB of data. If you want a very rough idea on mobile data usage I get through roughly 400-500mb a month on my Desire (Twitter & browsing mostly) that obviously changes depending on how much time I'm within range of a Wi-Fi point. If you avoid streaming videos and the like until you can connect to Wi-Fi then a plan with 1GB a month should be more than enough.