question about HDDs

ok so even though i prolly wont be building a PC this summer, i still got a question. this is the HDD i was gunna get:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148697

this one seems better:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145475

am i missing something? excluding price and the 1tb difference, is there anything else? i noticed the second one doesnt list its RPMs, where as the first one is 7200. also they are both bare drive...but what does that mean?

thanks for teaching me :P

Hard drives are commodity items so I'd go for the 2TB for sure. The reason its rotation speed isn't listed is because apparently it dynamically adjusts based on demand. Assuming its maximum is 7200, which is pretty standard for a desktop drive, this may mean no actual difference in performance. A little googling will probably turn up a site that has a review and lists its max rotation speed.

If you stick your OS on it, it's always going to be active unless you're away from your computer (and even then it'll be active for a while) so it should always be running max speed. If you just use it as a pure data drive, then it'll be a bit of an annoyance occasionally when you have to wait for it to spin up. I have an external drive that I archive anime on that does that. Pretty annoying when I pause a movie, then come back and unpause and the video hangs for several seconds while the drive spins back up. Once it spins up though it's fine, one of my fastest externals actually (USB anyway, the Firewire drive still kicks its ass).

"Bare" means you'll get just the drive. No box, no cables, no manual, just the drive.

Note that the Seagate is a 7200rpm drive while the Hitachi is 5400rpm. Other than the difference in Capacity, the speed difference is hardly noticeable by the average consumer since the transfer speeds are the same. The Hitachi drive will seek data slower than the Seagate but for the price of 2tb, the Hitachi is better value.

I'd go for the Deskstar as storage > speed.

Edited by N3C14R

Found it. This large pdf is the full manual, and lists the speed as 5940 RPM.

Quickly googled the drive again, I think your right.

Some sources say it's 5400, 5940 or 5944 rpm. :confused:

But the Seagate is 7200rpm for sure. I've been using 3 of them for the past 5 years and they're great. :)

Edited by N3C14R