Oblivion is now crashing during combat

rinoaff33

I've long been an Oblivion player, ever since it first came out, in fact. It's been a rocky road, full of confounding bugs and mod installations, but I've always managed to find a solution. Now, though, I'm flat out stumped as to what to do. My game seems to randomly crash when either I or an NPC swings a weapon or shoots a spell. I've tested it, and it randomly occurs ONLY in combat, not if I'm just swinging my sword around in the streets. Furthermore, it seems to happen the most if I swing then quickly hold down block or if both the NPC I'm fighting and I swing at the same time. I've uninstalled all animation addons, and it still happens with the vanilla animations. I've heard that custom weapons can cause a problem, so I'm using a katana from OOO if that matters. Also of note is that this is only just now happening - I've been playing my character for a few weeks with no problems until now. Can anyone help?

System specs (not sure if this is everything I need to list):

Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU

8gb of ram

GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6850 (latest drivers)

I've also changed Oblivion to run on the 3.0 shaders.

Mods (I've recently used BOSS if that matters too):

Oblivion.esm

All Natural Base.esm

Oscuro's_Oblivion_Overhaul.esm

Unofficial Oblivion Patch.esp

DLCShiveringIsles.esp

Living Economy.esp

Living Economy - Items.esp

Oscuro's_Oblivion_Overhaul.esp

Natural_Habitat_by_Max_Tael.esp

All Natural - Real Lights.esp

All Natural.esp

All Natural - SI.esp

Natural_Water_by_Max_Tael.esp

Ultimate 3rd Person Camera.esp

MotionBlur.esp

EY_Vampirehunter.esp

Queensarmory.esp

R18PN - Eisen Platte Armor.esp

Dude Wheres My Horse.esp

Calm_Shadowmere.esp

OOO-Water_Weeds.esp

OOO-WaterFish.esp

EVE_StockEquipmentReplacer for OOO.esp

Nightshade_Armor.esp

CB Rogue Armor.esp

Cyrodiil transportation network 1.3.esp

Apachii_Goddess_Store.esp

Knights.esp

EVE_KnightsoftheNine.esp

xuldarkforest.esp

xulStendarrValley.esp

xulTheHeath.esp

XulEntiusGorge.esp

xulFallenleafEverglade.esp

xulColovianHighlands_EV.esp

xulChorrolHinterland.esp

xulBeachesOfCyrodiilLostCoast.esp

xulBravilBarrowfields.esp

xulLushWoodlands.esp

xulAncientYews.esp

xulAncientRedwoods.esp

xulCloudtopMountains.esp

xulArriusCreek.esp

xulPatch_AY_AC.esp

xulRollingHills_EV.esp

xulPantherRiver.esp

xulRiverEthe.esp

xulBrenaRiverRavine.esp

xulImperialIsle.esp

xulBlackwoodForest.esp

xulCheydinhalFalls.esp

xulAspenWood.esp

xulSkingradOutskirts.esp

xulSnowdale.esp

OOO-Snowdale Patch.esp

xulCliffsOfAnvil.esp

OOOCliffsofAnvilPatch.esp

xulSilverfishRiverValley.esp

Harvest [Flora].esp

Harvest [Flora] - Shivering Isles.esp

EVE_ShiveringIslesEasterEggs.esp

P1DkeyChain.esp

ScriptIcon_Replacer.esp

Enhanced Vegetation [150%].esp

Lynges Unlimited Death Reload Time.esp

RealisticHealth.esp

TTHealthRegen.esp

Circ Vamp Aesthetics.esp

SupremeMagicka.esp

SM_ShiveringIsles.esp

SM_EnchantStaff.esp

SM_Scrolls.esp

SM_SigilStone.esp

EnchantmentRestore.esp

EnchantmentRestore_Wells.esp

No psychic guards v1.2.esp

RealisticLeveling.esp

_Ren_BeautyPack_onlyhairs.esp

Nec Mystic High Elf-Remake.esp

Moonshadow Elves - Sc.esp

CuteElf11.esp

_Ren_BeautyPack_full.esp

EVE_KhajiitFix.esp

[GFX]_Initial_Glow-creatures.esp

Visually Enchanted Fire 3.esp

Visually Enchanted Frost 3.esp

Visually Enchanted Shock 1.esp

NPCPack1.esp

ReducedTimescale.esp

Streamline 2.1.esp

Disabled Streamline, got into a fight with a random guard, crashed in the middle of the fight when I cast a spell. I also tried with a vanilla weapon and it still crashed.

Edit: I just tried the crash prevention mod. The only difference was a windows error sound when the game messed up.

Edit2: I also tried disabling OOO and Ultimate 3rd Person, and that didn't affect it.

Edit3(lotsofedits): Deleting my oblivion.ini did nothing to help either. Then, I found out that this only affects one of my characters. I killed pretty much half of the Imperial City on my other character with the weak blade of woe to make sure I had a long fight and it went perfectly fine. I also loaded my oldest save on my affected character and the bug is still there (CTD as soon as a guard's sword connected - is it a sound problem, since it crashed before playing the "hit" sound?).

Here's the log from the "crash prevention," although it seems a bit arcane.

Mon Jun 20 17:54:41 2011 OCPS build 2009-03-28 prevented crash at offset 0x000016a2 (eip: 0x004016a2, sub_401690). Link to 0x0083008e is faulty!

eax=20d1376c ebx=00810082 ecx=00b02020 edx=00830081 esi=00830082 edi=00830081 esp=0018e858 ebp=002e4ae8

Mon Jun 20 17:54:41 2011 OCPS build 2009-03-28 prevented crash at offset 0x000016a2 (eip: 0x004016a2, sub_401690). Link to 0x5c40831f is faulty!

eax=00830081 ebx=04012824 ecx=00b02020 edx=83c88bff esi=5c408313 edi=83c88bff esp=0018e810 ebp=002e4ae8

Edit once more: I tried it once again, and it definitely crashes when I'm hit by an enemy. Google turned up nothing except something about resetting mp3 codecs, but the provided exe file didn't run due to it being designed for Windows XP. It's probably not an audio issue anyway, as it happened with sound disabled in oblivion.ini. It even happened when I disabled everything except Oblivion.esm in OBMM. Seriously, what is going on here?

Billionth edit: So I finally got Streamline 3.1 working, and I figured out something weird: I tried combat once more, and this time I decided to see what would happen if I fought with no armor. Surprise surprise, no crashes. Then, as soon as I equip the Rogue Armor (admittedly a new mod, albeit a very good-looking one that deserves some props) and get hit, the game crashes. So apparently the armor is bugged? Why would it suddenly start doing that considering I've been using it for several days now?

Is there a way I can get this to be moved to mod support now that I know for sure that a specific mod is causing the issue? Any other armor (or no armor) works fine except the Rogue Armor, even after reinstalling it and using OBMM's Clean feature.

Edited by rinoaff33

• 1 month later...

I understand this is an older thread, but it's the only shot in the dark I've got! I found this via google, and I'm getting the exact same issue: crash to desktop while being struck during combat while having Rogue Armor equipped. It happens only in combat only when I'm struck by an enemy, and it happens with a variety of enemies that I've tested on.

Have you found a solution to this aside from just not using the Rogue Armor during combat? I saw another thread about this, but it had no solution-related replies either.

Thanks.

• 3 months later...