No more savings allowed in Oblivion

Hanker109

Hello Everyone!

I've been playing Oblivion for a while now and finished all the main quests plus other mods like Faregyl, but not yet entered the Shivering Isles. I have installed over 100 mods, mostly with Wrye Bash Bain Installer and everything was going great but suddenly I can't save any more games. When I save a game, the message is that it was successful but when I try to load, the message is that it is corrupted. I'm using Windows 7, 64 bits and the game is installed outside the Windows' Programs. I checked the memory usage and saw that it went as far as 882,084 K, this in a short time from 475,624Ks. It seems that Oblivion bloats like crazy. I'm using OBSE, OSR, Wrye Bash , AutoSave, and Fast Exit. The question is: Is there a limit as to the amount of savings or the limit is related to the amount of memory usage? Please, I would like someone to help me here with this. Thanks for any help given.

Best Regards,

Hanker109

There is an article here somewhere written by moderator Bben. Hopefully he'll see this post and weigh in on it. He gives info on how to deal with corrupted saves, if I remember correctly. Also, you can try searching the Nexus Wiki for articles dealing with this.

I use the "pcb" (without quotes) console command to try and keep things running smoothly. This seems to work in all three games, Oblivion, FO3 and FONV. There is a mod that does it for you, but it takes 5 seconds to type in pcb yourself to run the command. It stands for purge cell buffer.

Hope this points you in the right direction at any rate. Good luck!

How many saves in your saves folder? The game doesn't care how often you save, it DOES seem to get upset when the number of saves in the folder reaches a significant number though.

The game likes to corrupt saves in any event. If you overwrite a save frequently, you can bet it is going to get borked. Autosaves, and quicksaves are especially subject to this, as they get overwritten every time......

If you make a New save game, can you later load that one?

There is an article here somewhere written by moderator Bben. Hopefully he'll see this post and weigh in on it. He gives info on how to deal with corrupted saves, if I remember correctly. Also, you can try searching the Nexus Wiki for articles dealing with this.

I use the "pcb" (without quotes) console command to try and keep things running smoothly. This seems to work in all three games, Oblivion, FO3 and FONV. There is a mod that does it for you, but it takes 5 seconds to type in pcb yourself to run the command. It stands for purge cell buffer.

Hope this points you in the right direction at any rate. Good luck!

Thanks Netwit2008, I will as you suggest, use the console to write the Cell Purgin command. I saw in my search for a solution, an LazyPCB utility in this forum. Many thanks again.

How many saves in your saves folder? The game doesn't care how often you save, it DOES seem to get upset when the number of saves in the folder reaches a significant number though.

The game likes to corrupt saves in any event. If you overwrite a save frequently, you can bet it is going to get borked. Autosaves, and quicksaves are especially subject to this, as they get overwritten every time......

If you make a New save game, can you later load that one?

Hi! HeyYou:

First, I want to thank you for the reply which allowed me to understand the problem. I installed an "AUTO SAVE" utility that saves the game every ten minutes. The utility is suposed to cut down on bloating as it saves and it worked beautifuly until the saved numbers went above the 5,000 mark. When I first encounter the corrupted saves, I tried to save in different location with different type of saves but all came out to be corrupted. In order to fix this, now I need to start a new game and have the utility save every 20 minutes instead of 10, that way I will be able to complete the game. Thanks again friend.

Best Regards,

Hanker109