Alienware is it worth it?

survivalist92

Gamer Dragon (cyber power, cool case)

AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Processor

Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling Stystem 120MM fan

ASUS M4A87TD EVO motherboard

8GB DDR3 1600MHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1GB

800 Watt Xtreme-Gaming Gear Power Supply (double checked to NOT be 80 plus)

1TB HDD

Basic disk drive and sound card

24" Widescreen LCD Monitor

W7 64bit home premuim

$1482 (USD)

Gamer Paladin (IbuyPower, coolest case)

Intel i7 960 Processor (3.20 GHz)

Certified CPU fan and heatsink

6GB DDR3 1600 MHz

Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti

MSI X58A-GD45 Motherboard

800 Watt Standard (double checked the site to make sure it was NOT 80 plus)

1TB HDD

Standard disk drive, sound card, accessories

22" LCD

W7 64 bit Home Premium

$1426 USD

Both have been customized (meaning case) and have been professionally wired, have sound reduction and will be protected during shipping (yes i payed extra... i think it's worth the $20 for professional wiring and shipping)

ninja edits: typos

Edited by survivalist92

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6GB DDR3 1600 MHz

1TB HDD

22" LCD

W7 64 bit Home Premium

$1426 USD

I didn't read the rest of this topic, so this is in response to the title:

Alienware is only worth it if you want to pay hundreds of extra dollars for a shiny case. Build your own computer or get a weaker computer then upgrade it. Get mid-range components at good prices (high-range is a waste of money since the price will drop in a few months/years, and mid-range is good enough to run anything at max or nearly-max [Crysis and Dragon Age 2 are the only two games I can't run at 100% max on my Sapphire HD 6850 at 1600x900]).

You don't need a computer that has the newest top-of-the-line crap. The sound card can be pretty much anything, as you'll only need a good sound card if you work with pro music. As long as you stay away from integrated GPUs you'll be fine. Also, make sure any processor you get is up to snuff (preferably dual-core or more, with at least 3.0 GHz total; you can overclock both your CPU and GPU for added power).

The only reason you'd need an amazing GPU is if you have a very large monitor. You only need a good anti-heating solution and power supply if you use power-hungry components or excessively overclock.

However, if you have $1400+ to spend, go right ahead. At least you'll be future proof...until the next console comes out and new games require new types of graphics that are unsupported by the current generation.

Edited by rinoaff33

However, if you have $1400+ to spend, go right ahead. At least you'll be future proof...

definition

future proof == spending your money now so you won't have it in the future

and $1400 won't future proof anything

Custom builds are worth every penny especially when you can play crysis maxed out with custom textures, with v.sinchttp://www.thenexusforums.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/whistling.gif

Can alien ware do that, probably not. especially with standard drives, ohh the thrashing.

Crysis is bad for that i just found out, cd drive lag.

If anything go completely sata.http://www.thenexusforums.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/thumbsup.gif

When one thing is slower then the other, or the other way around.

Edited by Thor.

Exactly, i had it since release. I wish i went the steam way, Crysis warhead though is different :thumbsup:

should of said dvd :teehee: lol just thinking about that makes my head spin, 700mb per disk, so 5 to 6gb in size. 15cd's i estimate

Edited by Thor.

6GB DDR3 1600 MHz

1TB HDD

22" LCD

W7 64 bit Home Premium

$1426 USD

lol 80 plus is a good thing,

not a bad processor, but coulda been better.

i think the x58 is an older chipset though. like i dont think it will be able to handle sandy bridge or ivy bridge CPUs. (im not sure though)

EDIT: just went through it and look at everything you could choose from. not a bad selection, but as i had said, you cant choose from sandy bridge CPUs, or p67/z68 mobos, which kind of sucks and its all designed to give you a bunch of not needed options, to make you feel like you need it (ie professional wiring, safe packaging, sound insulation, etc.) so you spend more.

for the same price you coulda built your own computer, and had it better imo. but in the end, yours isnt a bad choice by any means. hope you enjoy it :)

Edited by hoofhearted4

If your interested in a ultra fast and big capacity drive then this is the one for you, you wont need a sandy bridge.

http://www.thenexusforums.com/index.php?/topic/403591-momentus-xt-500gb-hybrid-ssd/

This is not directed at you hoothearted4 :biggrin:

Edited by Thor.