Let's talk companions.

k361

So it is simple, who's your favorite buddy and why?

Mine is Cait whom recently replaced Curie on the throne simply because no matter what I do I can't figure her out like really. She likes stealing stuff and lockpicking, also she seems strongly opposed against samaritan style gameplay, yeah yeah girl you know I am just hoarding exp and caps right? Naaah, what left me puzzled though was Amelia Stockton.

Stumbled upon compound by accident of course they begun shooting, that was fine. Now when Chambers made me an offer I refused which Cait seemed to dislike, could be caps hmm, but when I shot Chambers Cait suddenly changed her mind. Though biggest hit came after I reached Bunker Hill. I am here listening to arguing men about joining Deathclaw preservation society and she suddenly draws a gun points it at a caravan guard saying "Give me all you got." I am seriously Cait? lol

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Danse is great because he owns and maintains his own power armor. Piper and Curie are cute and I get a kick out of watching a cute girl beat the snot out of some macho jerk. Strong has some of the funniest dialog, I saw a you tube video showing NPC reactions to cannibalism. Strongs reaction was priceless. Preston, Codsworth, and Dogmeat are ok but not my favorites. Cait and MacCready I just never bothered with. No love for crackheads and mercenaries. I like the new companion ADA. I gave Ada fully upgraded hydraulic assaultron parts with 2 gatling lasers. I think I'm in love LOL

I wish Ada had affinity/companion perk of her own. I'm sure it will be modded to fix this once the GECK comes out though. My Fave of the vanilla companions has always been Cait. For one thing I love redheads, and she is feisty and has a "don't take sh*t from anyone" attitude that I love. Plus once you get enough affinity with her you can get her clean and she stops using drugs and becomes a MUCH nicer person. :)

Dogmeat I dislike since you really can't interact with him much, him being a dog and all. Strong does indeed have some hilarious dialogue, and of all the vanilla companions he can carry the most junk for you. :) Mcready doesn't have much of a personality. Hancock is another one that has great and funny dialogue, and is probably the most laid back of the bunch.

Dogmeat has the advantage that he counts as no companion for Lone Wanderer, though. Getting +25% damage, +100 carry weight, and +30 armor is kinda a lot. Especially the way armor works, the +25% damage ends up being a lot more than it sounds when it counts.

Other than that, personally I tend to go with one of the Automatron robots, though. My current favourite combination is Mr Handy torso (which doesn't have a head, but has better range and accuracy than any head except Robobrain head), two arms with gatling lasers, thruster, three thruster arms with buzzsaws, and voltaic armour everywhere. What with the 5 appendages and having turbojet up the bottom part, I fondly call that combination "the turbosquid". Makes short work of just about anything. I tend to use automatic lasers until I get the non-breakable gatlings, btw.

And the amount they can carry is bloody impressive.

Usually Codsworth, though. Ada can't seem to sneak worth beans. Even with her "stealth field" I get detected even at midnight if she's anywhere near me, which doesn't happen with most other companions. Shame that Codsworth stops being able to wear hats if you automatron him, though.

Cait is probably the best for sneaking around, with the right equipment, but I actually dislike her personality very much. Not the "take no crap" part, but the whole part where she strongly dislikes anything short of being a comple flaming a-hole most of the time. Sorry, just because she had it rough, doesn't mean I shouldn't help other people who have it rough. And I find that she actually becomes MORE annoying after you detox her, what with calling me a hypocrite if I take any drugs ever after. I mean, excuse me? I'm not the one who wanted her off drugs, she asked. I never said I was against drugs. Hell, if I knew she takes drugs behind my back, I'd have just asked if her dealer is any good, 'cause I bet that barstard Wolfgang is cutting my Jet with chalk :tongue: I don't see what's the hypocrisy on my part.

McCready I find almost as annoying as Cait, and for the same personality problem, and he ain't even as good at sneaking. I find his perk super-useful, though, so, meh, I tend to grudgingly take him along until I max his affinity.

Preston is... Preston. I don't think many people love him. In my game, he gets to sleep under the bridge with the other trolls (the Jun family) :tongue:

Curie is nice, though her perk is kinda rubbish. I wish I could get to max affinity while keeping her a robot, though. She was more useful in a fight as a turbosquid. Plus, you know, check out that hot ass on that Miss Nanny body :wink:

Piper... I actually like her as a person and all, but I find her neither very useful in a fight, nor does she really have a good story, and her perk is probably the least useful of ALL companion perks. Which kinda is an achievement. About the only use I found for her is opening locks if you don't have the perks, and can't stand using Cait for that, and can't just use a robot instead. All things considered, she mostly gets to stay behind.

Strong is funny, and ridiculously easy to max affinity with -- doubly so if you can spare a point for Cannibal -- but his perk kinda is of limited use. He also is about as bad at sneaking as Ada. And you can't armour him too much, nor stuff him into PA, so he's actually a rather fragile companion for me.

Hancock is cool and all, and easy to max affinity with, if you're huffing and puffing Jet like the three little pigs' houses are in the inhaler. But I tend to keep my rads in check, so his perk is of somewhat limited use.

Valentine, I find super-cool, and nice to have along. Plus, he has some decent quests. Only shame is that you can't give him better armour, short of stuffing him into a power armour. Hacking terminals for me is a plus too, since most of my characters really put the "idiot" into "idiot savant" :tongue: Shame that his perk is probably the second least useful in the game.

Danse is nice, and his perk is SUPER-useful by the end of the game. Though I tend to honour his wish to die for his beliefs instead. It would be petty of me to put my own perks above his wishes, and deny him a good death, after all. I like to think he's smiling down at me from Valhalla :tongue:

Deacon is cool too, and has some of the funniest comments. And his perk is quite useful too. Also likes a bunch of the sarcastic answers in conversations with others, which is a plus in my book. He tends to get brought along a lot in my games.

And the Courser actually has less personality than actual robots. Which, again, is kinda an achievement. Plus, I hate the Institute, Father, and the Giddyup Buttercup he rode in on. Plus, the courser gets into fights all over the place with BOS vertibirds and whatnot. So all that severely limits the time I spend with him.

I like the turbosquid idea for Curie and am curious if you get to salvage the mods off the used mr handy when she gets synthesized

salvage the mods just before you take her to see the doctor

BTW, in synth-Curie's defense, if you give her heavy armour, she's pretty much the hardest to kill companion in the game. Her HP are fixed and actually very high, so if you add armour, yeah, you get the idea. She's actually FAR more resilent than Strong, which, yeah, that's also why I'm not that fond of Strong. And if you give her a good power armour, she's quite a bit tougher than Danse too.

So, yeah, if you want a companion that can take a rocket in the face and keep shooting back, you can't go wrong with Curie.

Though if you Automatron her, she's pretty tough too and I really liked the dual-gatling firepower. Hence my wishing I could keep her as a battle-bot.