Skyrim using Steam?

aaroncox

I installed steam only to activate and play new vegas and download the DLC -.- I don´t use steam for anything else it´s just a uselless software in my computer.My problem with it is that I have to have an account and that my cd copy of new vegas is tied forever to my account.If one day I don´t have internet and want to install new vegas I can´t and with games for windows live I can install whenever I want.I really hate steam cause I don´t feel new vegas is mine really.I only hope if one day I loose my account or someone steals my account or something really bad happens to it I hope to get my money or a new copy of new vegas.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Get a better internet connection and stop blaming Steam.

As far as an 'internet connection' goes: where I live it is extra expensive (nearly the same as the

cost of electricity - with a 5-20GB cap on traffic per month), and broadband here runs much slower than in other countries.

Steam forces you to update the game as soon as it is activated. It's mandatory. There's no real reasoning behind it. Sure, if you can afford to download the 1+ gig patches it's no big deal, but a lot of people CAN NOT get a better internet connection. Me included.

Offline mode is fine for the most part, but it can be pretty iffy. Just Cause 2 saves mess up if you're not connected, and even the launcher itself is prone to a lot of freezes. Not fun.

Perhaps you should look better. But then again, why blame Steam for a handful of games that have problems? There are a LOT of games avaliable on Steam. It's not a valid argument.<br><br><br>I'm not saying I want to have Steam as Skyrim's DRM, but if it happens, I won't be mad about it either.

Nice try. ;)

Of course that would be the obvious solution, but that's not how it works. If your game is already up to date then sure, it stops it from auto updating, but you still are forced to download the patch after the initial activation, with no way around it.

If it turns out to be a minority, it won't matter. Minorities aren't justifiable, economically/marketing wise.

49% is a minority. The PC crowd in itself is a minority. Why not just have it be console exclusive?

The fact is they would be losing sales, and disappointing the consumer. Just because one person has a reliable internet connection, doesn't mean the person without it shouldn't be able to get the game.

Anyways my main beef is with Steam.

Edited by watdocdude

If one day I don´t have internet and want to install new vegas I can´t and with games for windows live I can install whenever I want

please try installing a GFWL game without internet.

If one day I don´t have internet and want to install new vegas I can´t and with games for windows live I can install whenever I want

Oh, that was worse. Won't even let me play GTA4. Says my account's been disabled for inactivity. And then my password won't work, the email doesn't either, and their support is useless.

It could be much worse than Steam.

Oh, that was worse. Won't even let me play GTA4. Says my account's been disabled for inactivity. And then my password won't work, the email doesn't either, and their support is useless.

It could be much worse than Steam.

"be careful what you wish for

it may come true"

btw just for fun

try installing FO3 GOTY on a new machine without internet

Hidden trap crash waiting.

There we go again. Get a better internet connection and stop blaming Steam. If you bough the game on retail, you can still install it using the DVD, but you'll need to activate the game on steam. Nothing more. You can also use Steam on offline mode, you'll just need an internet connection to activate the game first. You could sue the company all you want, but you'd be losing money, that's for sure.

Get a better internet connection?

Ummm...yeah, great suggestion. Internet in the US outside of major cities is often a joke. It is also ridiculously overpriced compared to the same services in other countires. A decent download speed in Washington, DC can cost $80-100(or even more) bucks a month, which is not affordable for many gamers. In many areas of the country the available network is primitve and slow with no other option. Some areas of the country don't have internet access AT ALL. Heck, one community decided to set up their own service owned and operated by the local government...only to be sued by ISPs hoping to force them to stop (and no ISPs even offered service to that area...they are jsut opposed to people getting something cheap and effective that is beyond their control).

I lived overseas for 8 years (in Taiwan) and was shocked at how much better their internet service was. Cheaper, faster and more reliable. No outrageous "plans" to purchase, no overpriced extra hardware, no artificial limit on connection speeds. You could walk into a 7-11 and purchase a simple card with a with an activiation code for a month's unlimited service.

Of course, other countires view the internet as vital infrasctucture and not simply as a device for gouging consumers.

If it turns out to be a minority, it won't matter. Minorities aren't justifiable, economically/marketing wise.

49% is a minority. The PC crowd in itself is a minority. Why not just have it be console exclusive?

The fact is they would be losing sales, and disappointing the consumer. Just because one person has a reliable internet connection, doesn't mean the person without it shouldn't be able to get the game.

The reason they wouldn't have it be console exclusive is because of modders like us. (Us=Nexus Community) They want people to mod the game because not only does it allow them to see the talent in the online community, but new ideas to implement into either new games or really anything they might do. Plus, the PC community is only so small because so few people are able to afford computers capable of running games at the point where they look amazing. I look for that in a lot of games, and I have a good internet connection. Way I saw it, PC was the best choice. In short, the company would not lose money from the PC community. They actually have a chance to make a lot more money from the PC community. For Example, the weapon mod system implemented into Fallout: New Vegas was only added because someone developed a mod that allowed you to mod your weapons in Fallout 3. Without the "minority" that the PC gaming community, you yourself could be missing some game content from your games. Think about it :thumbsup:. Also, I am not a PC fanboy, if there is such a thing. I do play my Xbox 360 often too. Oh hey look, I just rambled for a good two paragraphs. tehe

The reason they wouldn't have it be console exclusive is because of modders like us. (Us=Nexus Community) They want people to mod the game because not only does it allow them to see the talent in the online community, but new ideas to implement into either new games or really anything they might do. Plus, the PC community is only so small because so few people are able to afford computers capable of running games at the point where they look amazing. I look for that in a lot of games, and I have a good internet connection. Way I saw it, PC was the best choice. In short, the company would not lose money from the PC community. They actually have a chance to make a lot more money from the PC community. For Example, the weapon mod system implemented into Fallout: New Vegas was only added because someone developed a mod that allowed you to mod your weapons in Fallout 3. Without the "minority" that the PC gaming community, you yourself could be missing some game content from your games. Think about it :thumbsup:. Also, I am not a PC fanboy, if there is such a thing. I do play my Xbox 360 often too. Oh hey look, I just rambled for a good two paragraphs. tehe

It was to prove a point man. By his logic, the"minority" doesn't matter.

And I'm a PC gamer. Hence my discontent with Steam.