Skyrim using Steam?

aaroncox

It was to prove a point man. By his logic, the"minority" doesn't matter.

And I'm a PC gamer. Hence my discontent with Steam.

Was the point that it was a minority? Just wondering. Also, sorry if it seems like I was freaking out or something. I just saw the words Skyrim and console exclusive and almost smacked my face into a wall. :wallbash:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i don't know how to say this..but for all those people who are trying to defend a crappy system like steam... STEAM SUCKS AND SHOULD BE ERASED... let's take a vote?

i don't know how to say this..but for all those people who are trying to defend a crappy system like steam... STEAM SUCKS AND SHOULD BE ERASED... let's take a vote?

Why does everyone hate on steam so much? I personally have never had a problem with it.

Why does everyone hate on steam so much? I personally have never had a problem with it.

Personally, I don't "hate" Steam. But I do know how it feels to spend $50 on game that turns out to be useless after countless attempts at activation. After one experience like that, I have never bought another "internet connection required to play" game again. A one time activation/registration process is fine, but having to download huge files that your connection may or may not be able to handle is too much.

From a practical point of view I am not sure that it deters piracy any more than the simpler methods of on-line activation and it creates an unnecessary barrier to entry for those unable to access/afford high-speed internet. For someone who has never lived without high-speed internet and assumes that those who can't simply don't deserve it, then I guess that doesn't matter. (I am not referring to you personally)

As an example, when I bought Dragon Age: Origins Ultimate, the activation process for the game and DLCs was quick and simple, just enter my codes into the Bioware site...instant activation. When I tried to activate my copy of Empire: Total War through Steam, it was a nightmare of resetting server connections, frozen screens and endless waiting without result or even knowing how/when/if the process might work itself out. In the end, I just gave the game away to a friend of mine ((who also gave up). No process is flawless, but the simpler and faster the better.

If it turns out to be a minority, it won't matter. Minorities aren't justifiable, economically/marketing wise.

Ha! Welcome to the one-size-fits-all Soviet economy. :tongue:

Seriously, though, companies do and have marketed to "minorities" throughout their existence. Market segmentation is widely taught and studied in college business courses. Certainly the size and purchasing power of the minority in question comes into play, but if someone can turn a profit on it, then someone will try.

The ENTIRE video game market is a "niche" market. Most people don't or rarely play video games.

Personally, I don't "hate" Steam. But I do know how it feels to spend $50 on game that turns out to be useless after countless attempts at activation. After one experience like that, I have never bought another "internet connection required to play" game again. A one time activation/registration process is fine, but having to download huge files that your connection may or may not be able to handle is too much.

From a practical point of view I am not sure that it deters piracy any more than the simpler methods of on-line activation and it creates an unnecessary barrier to entry for those unable to access/afford high-speed internet. For someone who has never lived without high-speed internet and assumes that those who can't simply don't deserve it, then I guess that doesn't matter. (I am not referring to you personally)

As an example, when I bought Dragon Age: Origins Ultimate, the activation process for the game and DLCs was quick and simple, just enter my codes into the Bioware site...instant activation. When I tried to activate my copy of Empire: Total War through Steam, it was a nightmare of resetting server connections, frozen screens and endless waiting without result or even knowing how/when/if the process might work itself out. In the end, I just gave the game away to a friend of mine ((who also gave up). No process is flawless, but the simpler and faster the better.

Ah, so that is why everyone dislikes steam. I never go to a store to buy anything anymore. Too much of a hassled to me. I do online purchases now considering I am in PA so there is never really somewhere I don't have a decent internet connection. Well thanks for the info!!!

I might have explained it the wrong way. Small minorities would be a better term. 41% is not small, by any chance, but still a minority, or so it's meaning says.Hopefully, internet services and infrastructures will change for the better and we'll cease having such problems. Edited by Yoshh

If one day I don´t have internet and want to install new vegas I can´t and with games for windows live I can install whenever I want

please try installing a GFWL game without internet.

My bad x) there are this games that are games for windows and you can install without internet, like I have the cd copy of tomb raider underworld and prototype and I can install them whenever I want without internet.That´s what I like.Thought they were GFWL.My point is games that require a program and internet to activate them don´t really make what we buy ours.I just wish I could buy skyrim cd and in 50 years I could re-install it again without problems like I can install tomb raider underworld and prototype or even my goty edition of oblivion.The only game for windows live I have is fallout 3 but I allways thought the installation process worked like oblivion at least I didn´t need to install games for windows live nor having an account and I have a legal copy in case people wonder.

i live in the mountains. and internet coverage is scarce. there are little pockets of good signal near towns or towers, but we don't have cable or dsl or fiber optics. I can't even run my internet through my phone. There are two options for internet where i live. The cheapest way is through a hotspot wifi router, and the connection speed is barely above dail up that comes in sometimes and doesn't lol. The second option is Hughes Net which is through a satalite. The installation and connection is highly pricey, and gives you a certain amount of hours on it weekly and then cuts off all together. They said one day they will upgrade my internet tower to 4G, maybe in the next ten years? and i recently moved out of my parents house where we had fast running cable internet. It's a sad down grade, when you are a newlywed and poor without a job.