Anyone want to instruct me?

Lateralizm

Hello,

I was wondering if someone from our wonderful community wouldn't mind teaching an aspiring 3D artist the ropes. I have tried using tutorials, but I often find myself forgetting things. If someone would help me it would be more than appreciated. Thank You!!!

Hello,

I was wondering if someone from our wonderful community wouldn't mind teaching an aspiring 3D artist the ropes. I have tried using tutorials, but I often find myself forgetting things. If someone would help me it would be more than appreciated. Thank You!!!

I find the best approach to learning modelling, and just about everything else in life, is through problem based learning. You should set out to make something, and identify the problems you are having, and then look specifically for tutorials on those subjects rather than just looking randomly for tutorials. If you have a question about something specific we can help you.

In regards to what to model, I assume you are wanting to make models that will eventually go into games like Oblivion.

I would suggest taking things slowly and do the easiest things first and then gradually do more complex tasks. This applies both to the modeling process as well as the "getting it in-game" process.

It may sound strange but the 1st thing you should do is create a texture replacer. This lets you go through the process of extracting an existing texture, making a change to it (even as simple as adding your initials just to see it work), then exporting it back into DDS format and see it replace the texture in-game. This doesn't involve anything else other than an archive extractor (such as BSA Commander) and an image manipulation tool such as Paint.NET which can open and save to DDS format. Reference: How to create texture replacers

Next on the skills ladder would be the creation of a unique texture where you also extract a model (NIF for example), place it in a new/unique folder and have it point to a new/unique folder containing your modified texture and then creating a plugin modification to make the "new" model/texture show up in your game. This process allows you to learn the basics steps of getting a new model and texture to show up in the game. Reference: How to create new re-textured items

Next on the hit list would be to import an existing simple object like a sword, then configure the settings in order to export a working game model. This allows you to learn the process necessary for taking a working model and getting it to show up in the game without the hassles of the model and texture creation process.

Next would be a slightly more difficult object such as importing and exporting a piece of armor which requires additional process of rigging but only the basics and not rigging from scratch.

Once you go through similar steps like this, you eventually build up a competence in getting models and textures working in-game.

When you have that competence and skill set under your belt, you only have to worry about your model and your texture when getting them in the game because you know the correct process for making them work...you just need to do the actual modeling, texturing and linking them up in order to export them.

There are many steps I'm skipping but this is just to provide a possible strategy for learning. Jumping straight in and trying to create a new armor set may cause too many hair-pulling moments and a string of "what do I do" moments that may prematurely end your enjoyment of the process. It completely depends on how you like to learn. I find that doing small, successive projects that lead into the next provide much more enjoyment out of the process because the skills learned in prior projects are repeated and re-enforced in future projects. It is much more fun to me to see quick wins and an actual "end" to a project rather than one long project.

LHammonds

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, nice. I am in the same boat, so this thread is helping me, too.

Also, I found this site really useful:

http://www.polygonblog.com/category/3ds-max-tutorial/

I've really only messed with the character stuff so far, but it explains it pretty well. If you're like me, learning this stuff is super fun/exciting.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

I learnt through practice. I first drew a sketch, giving myself a vague idea of what i wanted, then i drew it from the side and the front, Adding detail when necessary. I spent a few minutes building the item in my head. This gave me ideas on how to begin the process.

Tip: DON'T bite bigger than you can chew. it just depresses you, wastes your time and you'll have nothing to show for it.

Start small.

-ves

Excellent post LHammonds and right on the money, great advice from vesemir the witcher too. Start small. When I was at university I learned an important acronym: K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Stupid ;) This should be your philosophy when modding, or any other project for that matter. The posters I mentioned also gave good advice when it comes to getting enjoyment from small projects to start with as opposed to larger ones, with less frustration involved and fewer mistakes to make.

As far as 3D modelling and texturing go, I'd like to add that as you learn these processes it's important to learn standard games industry practices. This includes aspects such as keeping texture resolutions to a power of 2 (64, 128, 512, 1024 etc.) and ensuring good, clean topology on 3D models. While you certainly won't have to worry about this too much when you're first starting out, it will be important to know and it's good to get in the habit of early on. Fortunately, you have the Skyrim models to use as an example. So as you do simple tasks such as texture replacing, pay attention to aspects such as resolution and you'll become more informed in the way that Bethesda, and games companies in general, construct their assets properly.

For general modelling and texturing you can try out these two excellent forums that are full of professionals and hobbyists alike and should give you strong, constructive criticism on your work aswell as providing solutions to problems:

http://www.polycount.com/forum/

http://www.game-artist.net/forums/

My haphazard approach:

1. Comb through the mod requests forum for any cool things. Weapons, armor, etc.

2. See if there's any 3D content anywhere for the weapon/armor

3. Open up 3ds Max and try to model around a Skyrim body

4. Get supremely frustrated and give up

5. Look at the thread again, open up max again

6. (optional) Get sudden burst of insight

7. Finish and decide it looks good enough for now

8. Usually end up not releasing because of substantial usage of copyrighted content, unless I seriously created the model from scratch/it's free for use.

9. Go back to step 1.

Quick tip: If you find yourself doing something idiotic (e.g. editing dozens of individual vertices) and think there HAS to be a better way to do this ... well, there usually is.

Edited by jimhsu