I got a new computer, but...

MisterB1969

So i got a new computer, and a better graphics card then my old PC...

and I just installed skyrim on it But... I'm still gettting the same amount of Frames per second on this rig (which is about 15-20 fps), then i did on my old rig. which was only a 1 gig video card, 4 gb ram, and 2.0 Intel processor. What the heck is going on ?

Current Specs:

ASUS Desktop M32AD Signature Edition

Processor: Intel ® Core i3-4170 @ 3.70 GHZ

Installed Ram: 8.00 GB

Operating System: 64 bit

Graphics Card: Gigabyte Nvidia GEFORCE GT420, 128 bit, 2GB ram , DDR3

Edited by MisterB1969

So i got a new computer, and a better graphics card then my old PC...

and I just installed skyrim on it But... I'm still gettting the same amount of Frames per second on this rig, then i did on my old rig. which was only a 1 gig video card, 4 gb ram, and 2.0 Intel processor. What the heck is going on ?

Current Specs:

ASUS Desktop M32AD Signature Edition

Processor: Intel ® Core i3-4170 @ 3.70 GHZ

Installed Ram: 8.00 GB

Operating System: 64 bit

Graphics Card: Gigabyte Nvidia GEFORCE GT420, 128 bit, 2GB ram , DDR3

There is no correlation between the VRAM size and GPU performance.
You need to look at the model or series of the GPU and compare that with the game specification requirements.
There are other factors at stake but this is fairly straightforward.

For GPUs, the middle digit is the most important one as that indicates the power of the card (GTX980 being the most powerful today, then 970, 960, 950 and so on). Your "new" machine has an old GT card (no "X" means a tier lower than GTX) and a "4"in front (indicates the "family"; today that's a "9", so your card is 5 generations old) and a two in the middle, meaning it's one step up from the least powerful GPU in that 400 family...

In other words, that GPU you've got is close to garbage and probably performs worse than integrated graphics...

For GPUs, the middle digit is the most important one as that indicates the power of the card (GTX980 being the most powerful today, then 970, 960, 950 and so on). Your "new" machine has an old GT card (no "X" means a tier lower than GTX) and a "4"in front (indicates the "family"; today that's a "9", so your card is 5 generations old) and a two in the middle, meaning it's one step up from the least powerful GPU in that 400 family...

In other words, that GPU you've got is close to garbage and probably performs worse than integrated graphics...

Thanks for explaining that to me, at least I know what to look for now. Maybe i can look for a new one in a few months. My funds are limited though, generally i can't afford something more than 50$.

Thanks for explaining that to me, at least I know what to look for now. Maybe i can look for a new one in a few months. My funds are limited though, generally i can't afford something more than 50$.

For some decent gaming, you'll need at least a "6" in the middle of the cards number, i.e. 460, 560, 660 etc. I had an MSI GTX460 Hawk on another PC 4, 5 years ago which ran the game without a sweat. But the HAWK was a factory overclocked card with military grade components.

Higher numbers in the 400 family are to be avoided as that series was kinda power hungry and extremely noisy.

And speaking of power, if and when you would decide to get a beefier GPU, check your power supply first: pre-builds tend to have a PSU with just enough wattage/amperage to keep the boat floating. Add something that needs a whole lot more power and the PSU will switch off.

Should you find something affordable from ATI/AMD, you should start at least at the 5000 family, with an HD5850 or HD5870. A decent power supply of around 550/600Watt should suffice...