Mods and Crashes

Hello, forum.

A while ago Oblivion would not start up, claiming that it was unable to locate Oblivion.esm. A few people on the forum recommended an uninstall/reinstall, so I did. It technically "works" because it has Oblivion.esm, however it crashes on startup.

I heard that mods missing required parts will cause Oblivion to crash. Recently I deleted some contents from my downloads folder, among them being a few mods I don't use anymore. I've tried starting the game with just the .esm and Shivering Isles checked under data files, but I'm wondering if other mods still conflict. I don't use OBMM or OBSE.

Any advice? I'd love to get Oblivion working again. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

Mods that are downloaded but not installed to Oblivion\Data won't be a problem (if I'm reading your post correctly and you download to a folder separate from your Oblivion install). After they have been installed to Oblivion\Data and then deactivated via either the Oblivion launcher or OBMM they can still create some issues (for example they will still count against your 255 mod limit). If you have the downloaded archives of all your mods saved in a folder completely separate from your Oblivion install I would suggest a structured troubleshooting approach. After a clean install of just Oblivion and Shivering Isles patched to version 1.2.0.416 and before adding any mods at all, try starting a new game. If that works then save at the sewer exit, apply any of the unofficial patches you want. Chances are that in this day and age you will require OBSE as many newer mods use script functions added by OBSE, so if you are going to, this would be the ideal time to install it. When you start adding mods only add one or two at a time and test between additions. When you start out from a working vanilla install and don't add many mods at a time, troubleshooting is easy.

Thanks.

Basically, I don't download mods much. Most of mine are from mid-2009 and before.

I don't have any mods near the limit.

How would I do a clean install? I uninstall and reinstalled and the mods were still there. I apologize for my ignorance in this regard, but I'm not good with computers. It's a small miracle that I can get a mod even working correctly.

You have been very helpful, but I have one more question:

If I do what the previous link instructed me to, will I have to reinstall KoTN and Shivering Isles? I can't seem to find my disc, so I'm slightly hesitant to go through with the procedure just yet.

You have been very helpful, but I have one more question:

If I do what the previous link instructed me to, will I have to reinstall KoTN and Shivering Isles? I can't seem to find my disc, so I'm slightly hesitant to go through with the procedure just yet.

Yes, you will. EVERYTHING will be gone. Find your disk. :D

If you do not delete your data folder, nothing will be lost. The only DLC that actually changes anything in the original game itself is Shivering Isles. It makes changes in the Oblivion.exe and Oblivion.esm. It is actually a game expansion and not really a true DLC. All of the other DLCs, including Knights of the Nine work just like any other mod. As long as you have the copy in your original data folder it can be recovered. Instead of deleting the data folder, rename it. :thumbsup:

To restore the KOTN DLC or any other one, you will need to copy the .exe file from your renamed folder into the new data folder, AND all of the BSA files that it came with.

This cannot be done with Shivering Isles as it must be reinstalled to get the changes it makes to the actual game files.