Mod Debate 1: Snapable Junk Fences vs Simple Intersection

Aeradom

Snapable Junk Fences or Simple Intersection  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Snapable Junk Fences or Simple Intersection

• Snapable Junk Fences
    • Simple Intersection

You can use both. Just make sure the junk fences are below SI in your load order. You also don't have to edit something in xEdit, as the junk fences already have the same changes SI gives them. It also allows you to place them on water and sink them halfway into the ground.

To sum it up:

Use the snapping fences if you want to build quick walls without holes (and battlements).

Use the SI or Place Everywhere if you don't want to be limited to the snap nodes. However I am not sure if SI will be enough to make them seamless...

A small hint: The tcl command, which disables collision, will also disable snapping. :wink:

Not worth making a merged patch, and the automatic merging does't apply to constructible objects, you have to do it manually. With the knowledge and certain scripts, it takes around 1 minute.

cry.

Problem is, I probably don't have the knowledge. I'm a veteran of using mods with FNV and Skyrim, but I've never actually gotten into the gritty of using tools. And scripts making me nervous because that's the sort of stuff that if mishandled, can ruin a save.

Not that kind of scripts. xEdit scripts are made with same scripting language as the tool itself, and they handle tasks solely inside the tool (eg. changing names, Editor IDs etc.). They're automation tools, and exist as a separate mod that can be downloaded and installed in the script folder of FO4Edit.

On a side note, I just checked on your links and noticed that you have a mod that actually might be doing what I want it to anyways. I think what appealed most to be about Snapable Junk Fences is the fact that they do snap, which would make it much quicker to use. I notice that your Vanilla Extensions mod ( http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/10032/? ) does this. I'm curious, how does your mod differ from Snapable Junk Fences, and since you are talking about taking the best of both worlds, I'm curious if you've integrated this into your mod.

You can use both. Just make sure the junk fences are below SI in your load order. You also don't have to edit something in xEdit, as the junk fences already have the same changes SI gives them. It also allows you to place them on water and sink them halfway into the ground.

To sum it up:

Use the snapping fences if you want to build quick walls without holes (and battlements).

Use the SI or Place Everywhere if you don't want to be limited to the snap nodes. However I am not sure if SI will be enough to make them seamless...

A small hint: The tcl command, which disables collision, will also disable snapping. :wink:

Oh hey! That's so cool that you came to post, and since you the mod author, I suppose that resolves the issue quite nicely. One quick question while I have you, other than being able to place things in ludicrous positions (which I'm not looking to do), is there any thing that Place Everywhere mod does that the combination of yours and SI doesn't?

Edit: I'm an idiot, and for whatever reason didn't see you mentioned PE in your post. My bad. Might I assume though that by your comment, if you were going to recommend one or other to work with yoru mod, you'd choose PE?

Edited by Aeradom

Place Everywhere is a F4SE dependant mod that allows you to turn off various types of workshop related features, such as object snap, ground snap (sink them as much as you want), border timeout etc. It literally allows you to place anywhere.

Snappable Junk fences works as Darth says, placed after SI to allow overwrite. My mod does an (almost) complete overhaul of the vanilla system, from recipes (some of the requirements are dumb), to snapping, SI properties etc. So unless you want the entire package, you're better with his mod.

It lets you place everywhere, including clipping into a wall or floor or anything that might be in the way of that perfect positioning, and in the air, if you want for example to decorate a tree...

Everywhere you say? This may be a dumb question, but what about outside of the green zones. Like in Sanctuary, I'd like to put some defenses on the opposite side the bridge to protect my water purifiers. Does it allow me to do that?

I know Ethreon referenced "border timeout" and I just wanted to verify that's what that means (sorry I'm a dumby and can miss somethings sometimes.)

Edited by Aeradom

You will have to place it down inside the border, then pick it up and move outside wherever you want. Just make sure border timeout is turned off.

Ah okay then, I guess the last question I have is how do power lines work outside of the green zone? Like say I put up some turrets along the river bank, can I get the power lines to move across the green zone to hook up to them? Or, if setting up towers is needed, will the lines move from them to the turrets?

I voted Simple Intersections, because of the two choices, I use that. However, I also use Better Junk Fences, that does the same thing as Snapable.

Can you provide a link for that Better Junk Fences mod? I'm unable to search for it on my end.