Machaera Unleashed

WarRatsG

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Found a picture of a typical greek "Makhaira".

What do people think of this as a base idea? I was thinking maybe a few gems chucked in, not too overdone.

Um, I actually did like the design albeit the blade seems "inverted"... as it is it remembers more a sickle, what indeed can be it's meaning. Besides, it is by design more like a stabbing weapon instead meant to slash, something in between a dagger and a short sword.

Weta's image is awesome, I'm pretty sure that model will do perfectly. I might try to learn how to model just to create that sword, or maybe make a new thread on the forum searching for someone to recreate it. Is learning to model difficult? Edited by WarRatsG

I honestly don't know - I've never tried 3D modelling. However, if you run that forum through Google Translate, it may be possible to find the original modder, and ask whether they will allow you to port the model to Oblivion - that may be far easier.

Agreed, it is an awesome concept and beautiful weapon, both the models, the previous with open handle and this last with envelope. Actually it does not offend the lore purists, it looks like could come from elven forges easily.

To WarRatsG, In a few hours I'll be uploading what I hope being the final version for Afinity Sword. the main scripts were totally redone and are much more easy to follow and better commented. One thing to notice in the effect scripts is although they seem long they are totally modulated, with return points in almost all modules, so they are less "heavy" than may look.

I had my son testing it with different builds, and so far so good...

Edited by nosisab

The author behind the model hasn't been on those forums for almost a year, so I'm not sure we can contact him. I think he says he has put it up for download, somewhere, I'm yet to find out (I use google chrome which automatically gave me a rough translation - "New weapon available that I will also be available as soon as I would if I could put the download links on the forum").

I have already downloaded the current afinity sword, not had time to try it out but I will wait then until the next one is released. I will play using it for a while so I can understand what is going on, then I'll crack open the CS and look around. Again, thanks for offering it as a resource.

And by the way, something that has been really bugging me is the pronunciation - "Mah-Kay-Rah" or "Mah-Shay-Rah"? My latin isn't really at what some would call a high standard.

Edited by WarRatsG

No problem, I just wish to restate I have no rights to pass ahead the katana's meshes and textures, the model itself, since it is from another author (used under permission). But the scripts are OK to use directly or otherwise.

One good way to verify how the sword behaves in game is using it on saves done in different levels, actually I believe many people uses the weapon for a little while and put it aside without noticing how powerful it actually is, just because it is subtle... mainly in this last version.

PS: For instance, saving just before a hard fight and trying it with different weapons is possibly the best way to test the concepts.

Edited by nosisab

Don't worry about the meshes, my heart is set on the machaera on WETA. And I will definitely test your weapon, you can be sure.

Done some testing today, got a basic menu set up for the upgrades. Still trying to work out the best way to use "AddEffectItem", but it's getting there. All the functions that modify the physical aspects are doing ok. Sadly, the maximum number of enchantments that can be displayed on a weapon is 7, I will look through some settings to see if there is something that can be altered to display more.

Also I created some more of the story, but I would like to know your answers to this question...

Is there a motivation - other than survival and reproduction - that any creature lives and acts on?

I have a few answers in mind and have already incorporated them, but I would like to hear the wisdom of the community on this :)