Machaera Unleashed

WarRatsG

Not a lot of attention here, so I'll bump with a progress update :P

In a short time I have learned tonnes about scripting, mainly OBSE. Progress has sped up from this, as I'm hitting less speedbumps. Many new features are now in place, such as some of the weapon enchantments and I've got much more of the quest planned out.

Only slight problems with the soul-gem converter I'm creating. Basically it converts weaker soul-gems into more powerful ones, to make up for the lack of Grand Soul-gems. I have several solutions in mind, I will let you all know what is happening :)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really interested in this mod, it sounds great. I have a few questions though. From what I've read, it seems like this weapon might be not very attractive. If you want to add attack damage on it, it slows the weapon down, no? Could I have a weapon that attacks quickly and has high damage? Would it bypass damage resistance, spell absorption and reflection? Would it be compatible with mods that allow you to add enchantments to your weapons, namely Advanced Magecraft? Will the sword be worth the effort you'd put into it? Would enchanting it be more of a micro or macro management? Is the sword easy to find? What about the quests, are they fun? Too many questions must be answered before I'd download the mod.

I'm really interested in this mod, it sounds great. I have a few questions though. From what I've read, it seems like this weapon might be not very attractive. If you want to add attack damage on it, it slows the weapon down, no? Could I have a weapon that attacks quickly and has high damage? Would it bypass damage resistance, spell absorption and reflection? Would it be compatible with mods that allow you to add enchantments to your weapons, namely Advanced Magecraft? Will the sword be worth the effort you'd put into it? Would enchanting it be more of a micro or macro management? Is the sword easy to find? What about the quests, are they fun? Too many questions must be answered before I'd download the mod.

You can have a strong, fast weapon. Upgrading damage only makes a tiny change in speed, purely so that people don't only upgrade damage. Upgrades to speed makes a larger difference than the penalties, so you don't have to worry. So long as you upgrade speed once in a while instead of damage, you will have a fast and powerful weapon.

Some enchantments will bypass resistance, some might not. I haven't fully decided. Obviously it will be very annoying to have some of the enchantments backfire, some might cause a few technical problems if they hit the player. It just depends.

I took a look at advanced magecraft, and I am sure that it will be compatible from a technical standpoint, however I am sure that as of now, people may try and cheat and add extra enchantments to Machaera. I will try to work out a countermeasure for this, thanks for showing me.

Enchantments are done a little differently than normal and from other multiple enchantment mods, so that

a) multiple enchantments can be given to Machaera.

b) Other weapons can't get multiple enchantments.

All it takes is a grand soul gem to power it up, I have even made azura's star usable. There are many slots, more opening up as the quest progresses. I don't allow all magic effects to be used, because it would seriously overpower the weapon if there was 50 points Fire Damage, 50 points Frost, 50 points shock, 50 points absorb hp and 50 points damage hp. I'm sure you understand.

The sword is relatively easy to find - a quest marker will guide you to the ruin, which is levelled, and you will receive a levelled sword so that higher levels don't have a disadvantage. After all it is a long term mod. In the ruin, the player will find the sword quite easily, although there might be a puzzle or two. It will not be anything as hard as Glenvar Castle though.

The quest, for me at least, sounds like it is interesting and probably fun. It is not the main selling point of the mod, but provides a background and a little entertainment. I won't be judging this myself, I will ask playtesters to give it a shot and see what they think. I made a short description of the quest a page or two further back.

I hope this answers your questions :)

have you already release the mod? I couldn't find it searching for Machaera Edited by nosisab

No, it's not released yet. It will still take some time to get to the playtesting phase, but it's getting there.

And I'll probably change the name of the mod. The sword is still called Machaera, but the name of the mod isn't great.

Edited by WarRatsG

Ok, I keep track on this thread, I'm playing both Nehrim and (re re re replaying) Oblivion in parallel, so it's a good time to go into it. Edited by nosisab

Yeah I just finished Nehrim :L:L

I've also just finished the Soul-Converter. It was so simple, yet there I was overcomplicating everything, as I do.

I'll be looking out for someone able to make meshes and textures for the weapon (based on THIS in case anyone has forgot) and possibly a few custom creatures. I would learn myself, but I wouldn't be able to do well enough to do the weapon justice.

I'll make a new thread to ask for some modellers.

I have a few modellers attempting to produce the sword, but there is one script which is now really bugging me. The concept is that it slows down time, only it seems to not work. I'm using 'Con_SetIniSetting "fGlobalTimeMultiplier:General" ' to do this. It really looks simple but there are so many little bugs coming through.

I'll keep trying and let you know how it works out.