Sheath 2 handed Swords/Claymores on the Hip

Arrun

Hello there !

I was just graciously posting this mod request in askance that maybe a generous and talented modder might be able to create a mod in which claymores are sheathed on the hip much like 1 handers? I saw the mod by Visman (i sent him a PM, though I don't know if he's active anymore) where he made 1 handers sheath on the back, and I also saw the mod which changes the 2h idle stance to the 1h, so I don't think it would be impossible, (though take my opinion with a grain of salt, it's near worthless due to my lack of knowledge in modding). Would scabbards for the 2h's be possible as well?

I ask this, mainly because they look much cooler on the hip in my opinion, but mainly because i use the brilliant 'capesandcloaks' mod, and wearing the larger cloaks causes insidious clipping issues when sheathing 2h's on the back (they go right through it, it's horrible!)

If anyone can help or accomplish this, I would be greatly indebted to them and deeply appreciative !

Practicalities:

There's a TEENY little problem with trying to sheath a 5-6 foot long weapon only 3 feet from the ground (or maybe only 2 1/2 feet if you're a Bosmer) - the choice of either ploughing a thin furrow about two feet deep through the road/rock/floor, or amputating people at the ankle when you turn around (depending on how he sword hangs from the waist).

Also, you'd need arms about the same length as the sword to draw it. Try it - take a garden cane of the correct length, thread it through the belt loop of a pair of jeans, grip it maybe 10 inches from the end (allowing for a two-handed grip) and try and draw it out like a sword! A start to combat by pulling the sword part-way out, moving your hand onto the blade, tugging it further, slicing a finger off on the edge and bleeding all over it as you do so, and repeating a couple of times to get it out of the scabbard, THEN transferring your slippery grip back to the handle end and trying to fight the person who meanwhile drew a sensibly-sheathed sword and hacked off your head is probably a little unlikely to succeed - Monty Python and "It's only a flesh wound" not withstanding!

Now imagine it also weighing 10 pounds or more, and trying to rotate it from the hip-side, point-down position to the in-front, point-up position one-handed (as the other hand is still holding the scabbard to stop it trying to come with the sword).

THAT is why long swords live on the back - and why people wearing them that way generally are't cloak wearers.

Edited by MarkInMKUK

If you're doing this to bypass clipping issues with a cloak, how about you have a mod that hides your sword under this cloak. making you appear unarmed to anyone not paying close attention, then on the start of combat, while reaching for your sword you also unclasp your cloak allowing you to move unhampered by this giant blanket, then you sheath your blade and re-equip the cloak.

Just a thought.

while I appreciate the feedback, I'm not particularly worried about realism in terms of weight and length (drawing and such as you pointed out) however, if the sword constantly clips through the floor due to length, what about an additional feature within the mod which makes 2h's smaller to fit (though not range smaller obviously, otherwise they'd be pretty useless weapons)

Let me think ...... ok a good analagy for the look i'm going for would be Aragorn from LOTR in the films, he has a bigass claymore sheathed at the hip and he wears a cloak, that would be totally perfect if that sort of accord could be reached :)

If we're talking Anduril - "Flame of the West", the overall length of the sword in the film is 52 1/2", including hilt and pommel. The actual blade length is 40 5/8". Apparently my estimate of the weight was a little over (sorry) - claymore-sized swords generally run to around 5-6 1/2 pounds in weight.

Replicas are available of the film sword, and there is also a matching scabbard, so people have been using it for various themed events and the like, re-enactments, and what-have-you. Reading the comments "...anyone who owns the sword knows that it is a giant weapon, the sheath accentuates the fact that it would be quite difficult for anyone of average height to draw the sword in battle." If you look at the images from the film where it is waist-sheathed, you'll also notice a very clear area behind Aragorn, as the sword would continually bump people who were less than about 3 feet behind.

Having said that, you'd probably not look out-of-place as a taller-than-average character wearing the sword at the waist, but a Bosmer (who tend to be pretty short) would have problems.

There IS a mod which adds Anduril to the Oblivion world, so that would be a good starting point for the mod you are requesting, assuming the size is more-or-less correct. The user images show it waist-sheathed, so that would appear to be suitable to try and see whether it avoids clipping issues. Once you've tried THAT mod, you'll have an idea whether the waist-sheathed position does what you hope it would.

don't know why this didn't post before but i'll reply again:

i thank you for you feedback and link Mark, and indeed I did try out the aforementioned Mod, and can confirm after taking a small trip to fyre light cave and trying it out on some nearby timber wolves and the like, it solves all the issues i'm looking to resolve. The length does not clip with the floor on the hip, it doesn't diagonally clip with the cloak due to the angle with which it is hanging (and therefore nor does ofc the scabbard clip in this way). it looks absolutely brilliant and drawing it from the sheathe is fluid and controlled, it does not look clunky or unrealistic. So this is definitely possible :) thank you for pointing me to that, it has proven that the this idea should work !

So, all you need now is for other similar-sized swords to be made to work the way that mod does. Time to find a modder, then :)

So, all you need now is for other similar-sized swords to be made to work the way that mod does. Time to find a modder, then :)

hence this thread :) i think if the angle at which they hang can be adjusted so it is more diagonal and less vertical, there would not be any issues whatsoever for slightly smaller characters (not including bosmer because, well they're tiny), though for regular sized characters and larger characters (altmers, humans, dark elves etc) they seem to hang fine as is

At least the research has given you a clearer starting point ... and proved it works.

How about trying it with a Bosmer character? Just to see how bad it is