Sheath 2 handed Swords/Claymores on the Hip

Arrun

At least the research has given you a clearer starting point ... and proved it works.

How about trying it with a Bosmer character? Just to see how bad it is

i don't have a bosmer character (i have only one character) so i wouldn't be able to :/

If we're talking Anduril - "Flame of the West", the overall length of the sword in the film is 52 1/2", including hilt and pommel. The actual blade length is 40 5/8". Apparently my estimate of the weight was a little over (sorry) - claymore-sized swords generally run to around 5-6 1/2 pounds in weight.

Replicas are available of the film sword, and there is also a matching scabbard, so people have been using it for various themed events and the like, re-enactments, and what-have-you. Reading the comments "...anyone who owns the sword knows that it is a giant weapon, the sheath accentuates the fact that it would be quite difficult for anyone of average height to draw the sword in battle." If you look at the images from the film where it is waist-sheathed, you'll also notice a very clear area behind Aragorn, as the sword would continually bump people who were less than about 3 feet behind.

Having said that, you'd probably not look out-of-place as a taller-than-average character wearing the sword at the waist, but a Bosmer (who tend to be pretty short) would have problems.

There IS a mod which adds Anduril to the Oblivion world, so that would be a good starting point for the mod you are requesting, assuming the size is more-or-less correct. The user images show it waist-sheathed, so that would appear to be suitable to try and see whether it avoids clipping issues. Once you've tried THAT mod, you'll have an idea whether the waist-sheathed position does what you hope it would.

Okay, so, I'll use this point as good reference.

What you would want to do to the weapon is simple. Take a two handed weapon, open it's nif in nifskope, and click the little arrow next to NiNode, which will be center left in a fullscreen window. There will be a NiStringExtraData, which you'll see the NiS part of at least, and it will say as it's value BackWeapon. Change the value to SideWeapon, and it will display on the hip.

Next thing is not so easy. It's out of my range, but I'd say you'd want to script it to have it where, upon drawing, it switches to the other BackWeapon model, the two handed one. Then, you will want the script to switch back to the SideWeapon model upon sheathing. If you want this done, I recommend asking fg109 for help.

Finally, I do wish to point out real life figures that will help with the sheathing not clip. From my own extensive knowledge of melee weaponry of past times, I can tell you no real claymore is 50 1/2 inches, but more along the lines of 42-45 inches. The figures Mark described for length are that only reached by parade swords, flammershwerts, Highland Scottish swords (which are not claymores), and zweihanders. As well, no real sword of actual battle design would be 5-6 1/2 pounds in weight. Often even claymores were at most 3-4 pounds, at the higher weights. The only swords that go higher in terms of weigh are purely ceremonial, the largest of which are about 15 1/2 pounds. Mainly, it was for strike speed and better force:energy ratios. So, for a sword like Anduril, you are actually likely looking at about 35-37.5 inches in length and 2 pounds in weight. That not only makes it realistic, but as well, it makes it lighter and prevents clipping problems.

If we're talking Anduril - "Flame of the West", the overall length of the sword in the film is 52 1/2", including hilt and pommel. The actual blade length is 40 5/8". Apparently my estimate of the weight was a little over (sorry) - claymore-sized swords generally run to around 5-6 1/2 pounds in weight.

Replicas are available of the film sword, and there is also a matching scabbard, so people have been using it for various themed events and the like, re-enactments, and what-have-you. Reading the comments "...anyone who owns the sword knows that it is a giant weapon, the sheath accentuates the fact that it would be quite difficult for anyone of average height to draw the sword in battle." If you look at the images from the film where it is waist-sheathed, you'll also notice a very clear area behind Aragorn, as the sword would continually bump people who were less than about 3 feet behind.

Having said that, you'd probably not look out-of-place as a taller-than-average character wearing the sword at the waist, but a Bosmer (who tend to be pretty short) would have problems.

There IS a mod which adds Anduril to the Oblivion world, so that would be a good starting point for the mod you are requesting, assuming the size is more-or-less correct. The user images show it waist-sheathed, so that would appear to be suitable to try and see whether it avoids clipping issues. Once you've tried THAT mod, you'll have an idea whether the waist-sheathed position does what you hope it would.

Okay, so, I'll use this point as good reference.

What you would want to do to the weapon is simple. Take a two handed weapon, open it's nif in nifskope, and click the little arrow next to NiNode, which will be center left in a fullscreen window. There will be a NiStringExtraData, which you'll see the NiS part of at least, and it will say as it's value BackWeapon. Change the value to SideWeapon, and it will display on the hip.

Next thing is not so easy. It's out of my range, but I'd say you'd want to script it to have it where, upon drawing, it switches to the other BackWeapon model, the two handed one. Then, you will want the script to switch back to the SideWeapon model upon sheathing. If you want this done, I recommend asking fg109 for help.

Finally, I do wish to point out real life figures that will help with the sheathing not clip. From my own extensive knowledge of melee weaponry of past times, I can tell you no real claymore is 50 1/2 inches, but more along the lines of 42-45 inches. The figures Mark described for length are that only reached by parade swords, flammershwerts, Highland Scottish swords (which are not claymores), and zweihanders. As well, no real sword of actual battle design would be 5-6 1/2 pounds in weight. Often even claymores were at most 3-4 pounds, at the higher weights. The only swords that go higher in terms of weigh are purely ceremonial, the largest of which are about 15 1/2 pounds. Mainly, it was for strike speed and better force:energy ratios. So, for a sword like Anduril, you are actually likely looking at about 35-37.5 inches in length and 2 pounds in weight. That not only makes it realistic, but as well, it makes it lighter and prevents clipping problems.

thank you very much for the information, hopefully your detailed insight will prove helpful to any modder thinking of trying to achieve this :)

Edited by Arrun

Well, if you didn't mind it STAYING a one hander, I could do it in a flash.

if it retains the stats and traits of a 2h, ie damage range, speed, distance range, then i suppose it would do, though i'd still prefer it play like a proper 2h :/