Oblivion community dead in 5 months

Deleted1754360User

Dragon Age is a good example of a sequel not being near the original even, in many (if not just Most) aspects (at least where mods are concerned)... the absence of toolset not the smaller.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you all seem so certain that skyrim will fail...why?

I don't think anyone has said that Skyrim will "fail". All that people are saying is that pre-release hype shouldn't be taken at face value because historically developers rarely deliver everything they promise.

Even if Bethesda "fails" to deliver everything that people expect, it could still end up being a great game. The point is that we simply don't know, and past experience has taught some people to be skeptical until the finished product is actually released.

Yes, nobody did say it would fail. I just don't take anything I see before the release of a game for real.

Just take the E3 demo for Oblivion years back. 99% of what was shown in there did not make it into the game. That much for stating "it's in the game" based on an E3 demo.

Don't get me wrong, Skyrim will most likely be the best game I ever played, as was Oblivion, but my expectations aren't very high at this point. Maybe they will surprise me, maybe there'll be far more in than I ever dreamed of, I certainly do hope so, but how likely is that?

I think I'm also not expecting much right now, so when it's out and I finally get to see what's really in I'll go jumping off my seat in excitement even more... or if there's really not as much as I was hoping for, my expectations at least weren't disappointed... whichever way you prefer.

Oh, and I'm "too much" an Elder Scrolls fan to be excited about the next upcoming release beyond any reason just to join the hype. I'm not going to play an Elder Scrolls game because it's all new and cool and in and whatnot. I value them for what they are worth, what you really get from them. And I will still be playing them when most of the high-praisers now have long since left the scene because they were done with it and it suddenly wasn't all that new and shiny and famous anymore. Isn't that what makes a "real" fan rather than just jumping on the bandwagon while it's hot?

Speaking of longevity - I bought both Morrowind and Oblivion about a year after they were released, working on the general rule it takes a year or so to patch the major foul-up bugs. I then play them in waves - currently I'm tinkering with Oblivion but in six months time I may be back with Morrowind - or having a blast with Diablo / D2.

But I keep coming back to Oblivion ... because it's ALWAYS a new world out there. So much to see, so much to do, so little time to do it in!

Edited by MarkInMKUK

To repost what I wrote at the bottom of the last page, since it seems pertinent and was evidently missed:

i don't understand why everyone says that skyrim is full of "promises" only...dual wielding is the thing im most excited for...it CAN'T be just a promise..Tod showed it at e3,meaning its already in the game.

Not really. With respect, it means two things:

1) They expect to put it in the game.

2) They've done up a trailer which is entirely separate from the game, showing how it is envisioned at this time to work.

That's all. The big game developers/producers all create mockups of features they think will really excite both reporters and players, then show them at the big meets (like E3 and CES), and put them up online. It's meant to hold your attention. But it's vaporware. It's intent, not fact. It may get into the final code, but it may not. There's no ill will involved, but it isn't the game.

If it does make the cut, there are other things you have to weigh. Remember, it will be quite a while, probably 2-3 years, before the mod scene in Skyrim even begins to approach that of Oblivion in scope if not depth. This was certainly true of Oblivion when it came out, relative to Morrowind. So you have to weigh up what is actually in the final Skyrim game--not what's promised--versus the absence of all those mods you now enjoy in Oblivion.

The same old discussion as before the release of Oblivion, when the Morrowind community were torned between expectations for Oblivion and sadness over the possible decline of Morrowind modding :smile:

Well, there was no reason for melancholy when Oblivion was released, and I'm sure there won't be any such reasons now either. True, for some months before and after the release of Oblivion, there *was* a decline in Morrowind modding - the same decline as one can easily spot for Oblivion modding right now. And then, a few months later, people hade played through Oblivion... and many of them (myself included) returned to Morrowind. The modding community for Morrowind again thrived and some of the very best Morrowind-mods out there have in fact been made AFTER the release of Oblivion. Btw, I do love Oblivion, but Morrowind, with its indepth mainquest and dramatic landscapes still holds the place as my all time favorite game.

I'm very much looking forward to Skyrim, and hoping to mod for it, too. But I'm in no rush, there are still plenty of things I'd like to play and mod in Oblivion. And there will probably be a bunch of issues with the new Skyrim construction set that clever script-oriented modders will look into in order to make modding and mod-using easier for the rest of us (there was a time when things like OBSE, Wrye Bash, OBMM, TES4Edit didn't exist, and at that time, Oblivion modding and mod-using was way harder). It is when these script-oriented modders have worked their magic into the Skyrim construction set that also the rest of us will be able to do really creative things. I have no fear that Oblivion modding will fade away - it will continue for many years, alongside with Skyrim modding and Morrowind modding.

To repost what I wrote at the bottom of the last page, since it seems pertinent and was evidently missed:

i don't understand why everyone says that skyrim is full of "promises" only...dual wielding is the thing im most excited for...it CAN'T be just a promise..Tod showed it at e3,meaning its already in the game.

Not really. With respect, it means two things:

1) They expect to put it in the game.

2) They've done up a trailer which is entirely separate from the game, showing how it is envisioned at this time to work.

That's all. The big game developers/producers all create mockups of features they think will really excite both reporters and players, then show them at the big meets (like E3 and CES), and put them up online. It's meant to hold your attention. But it's vaporware. It's intent, not fact. It may get into the final code, but it may not. There's no ill will involved, but it isn't the game.

If it does make the cut, there are other things you have to weigh. Remember, it will be quite a while, probably 2-3 years, before the mod scene in Skyrim even begins to approach that of Oblivion in scope if not depth. This was certainly true of Oblivion when it came out, relative to Morrowind. So you have to weigh up what is actually in the final Skyrim game--not what's promised--versus the absence of all those mods you now enjoy in Oblivion.

im young so i haven't really played morrowind but i've watched a bit of lets plays...to me it seems like the landscape is just weird...the combat is in my opinion horrible...you failed casting the spell,you failed casting the spell.and the same thing with melee...*miss*miss*miss* however im thinking of playing it....do you recommend morrowind? why? please give me your opinions,because im considering playing it