IMPORTANT! A SITE IS STEALING MODS!

zidders

Granted i do hate when people "take" other peoples mods and post them to sites without their permissions.

I've modded for the past 5 years and over the time i have seen several of my GTA SA and 18 Wheels Of Steel mods end up on other peoples sites. Most sites i contacted the owners and the mods were removed without a problem and the users banned. But one site kept stealing the mods and wouldn't heed to a warning, so i pursued legal actions on the sheer principle that i had spent months of work on my mods and someone else was claiming it as their own. Of course i had to fork over a handful of cash to get it all said and done, which in the end now that i look back it wasn't worth it. Although the site got removed, and the owner had his internet shut off for a entire year. Not like he couldn't steal that to. But it wasn't legally if he was on the net.

Point being is, if you are a modder, plan on having your mods taken, stolen, and uploaded where you haven't given permission to do so. I don't care how big you make the font or how red you make it, people won't read it and they won't care. Unless you're willing to cough up a handful of cash, or the site owners won't take the mods down then there is nothing you can really do except whine about it. Or stop making mods, which is what i did after i had that site removed. But now i am back into it and i know my mods aren't perfect or the best out there, but i am sure their going to end up on some other site sooner or later.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Granted i do hate when people "take" other peoples mods and post them to sites without their permissions.

I've modded for the past 5 years and over the time i have seen several of my GTA SA and 18 Wheels Of Steel mods end up on other peoples sites. Most sites i contacted the owners and the mods were removed without a problem and the users banned. But one site kept stealing the mods and wouldn't heed to a warning, so i pursued legal actions on the sheer principle that i had spent months of work on my mods and someone else was claiming it as their own. Of course i had to fork over a handful of cash to get it all said and done, which in the end now that i look back it wasn't worth it. Although the site got removed, and the owner had his internet shut off for a entire year. Not like he couldn't steal that to. But it wasn't legally if he was on the net.

Point being is, if you are a modder, plan on having your mods taken, stolen, and uploaded where you haven't given permission to do so. I don't care how big you make the font or how red you make it, people won't read it and they won't care. Unless you're willing to cough up a handful of cash, or the site owners won't take the mods down then there is nothing you can really do except whine about it. Or stop making mods, which is what i did after i had that site removed. But now i am back into it and i know my mods aren't perfect or the best out there, but i am sure their going to end up on some other site sooner or later.

Good to hear that your back into it..(always nice to have mods to enhance games). :happy:

Did you end up out of pocket after that site was shut down?...like one would think that they would have to pay for your expenses/costs incurred if found guilty....like it wouldn't seem fair otherwise and would deter other modders defending their rights as well as somewhat "encouraging" other sites to be "ignorant". TC.

Good to hear that your back into it..(always nice to have mods to enhance games). :happy:

Did you end up out of pocket after that site was shut down?...like one would think that they would have to pay for your expenses/costs incurred if found guilty....like it wouldn't seem fair otherwise and would deter other modders defending their rights as well as somewhat "encouraging" other sites to be "ignorant". TC.

Yes i ended up out of pocket for it. For the main reason i wasn't charging to release the mods and neither were they, so i didn't feel it would be right. However i did it because i believed in the end their theift of peoples mods was wrong, and seeing how about 15 people had asked them to remove their mods, the owner wouldn't do it and made some rather childish remarks on his forums, also banning those who asked for them to be removed. So in the end, on the cash side of things, no it wasn't worth it. But on the moral side of things, it put a big smile on mine and several other modders faces and felt pretty damn good lol.

Yes i ended up out of pocket for it. For the main reason i wasn't charging to release the mods and neither were they, so i didn't feel it would be right. However i did it because i believed in the end their theift of peoples mods was wrong, and seeing how about 15 people had asked them to remove their mods, the owner wouldn't do it and made some rather childish remarks on his forums, also banning those who asked for them to be removed. So in the end, on the cash side of things, no it wasn't worth it. But on the moral side of things, it put a big smile on mine and several other modders faces and felt pretty damn good lol.

It's funny how the "law" doesn't acknowledge this type of situation when there's no money exchanged, when the site owner obviously valued the "mods" in question to some extent ....even as just an "attraction". And yet the site is found guilty, shut down, and you're the one out of pocket on account of the site being at fault.

It never ceases to amaze me that the "law" can't acknowledge that there indeed was "an exchange of money" in order for you to achieve your goal, and have the site involved reimburse you ......but that's the way it is.

Anyway I think the modding community is lucky to have you and other people like you. TC.

so many sites are doing things we don't like, it's just the way it is on the internet.

Nexus keeps files up after users are banned.

Planet Fallout from IGN posts mods from others without asking.

gmods does the same and they say that they will correct it later but you can bet your **s they never do.

i've seen russian and asian sites posting all kinds of mods from others, some cracksites host mods without asking.

It's like this if a mod author posts his mod on the internet, he must know that these things are going to happen,

he can't complain about it afterwords if it does happen, he should realize that before posting..

Edited by MrDeathKill

so many sites are doing things we don't like, it's just the way it is on the internet.

Nexus keeps files up after users are banned.

Planet Fallout from IGN posts mods from others without asking.

gmods does the same and they say that they will correct it later but you can bet your **s they never do.

i've seen russian and asian sites posting all kinds of mods from others, some cracksites host mods without asking.

It's like this if a mod author posts his mod on the internet, he must know that these things are going to happen,

he can't complain about it afterwords if it does happen, he should realize that before posting..

I doubt you would like it if you had mods with lots of downloads which were deleted just because you were banned, when you have great chances of being allowed back. (There's so many people coming back from being banned that deleting the mods without the wish of the modder would be worse.)

And GMOD have already corrected the issue. ;)

And, just because something is normal, doesn't mean we should just give in to it.

That's like the police saying, "Oh, murder is so normal, we won't bother investigating it." - The world wouldn't function if we didn't have people who stand up against wrongdoings.

It's funny how the "law" doesn't acknowledge this type of situation when there's no money exchanged, when the site owner obviously valued the "mods" in question to some extent ....even as just an "attraction". And yet the site is found guilty, shut down, and you're the one out of pocket on account of the site being at fault.

It never ceases to amaze me that the "law" can't acknowledge that there indeed was "an exchange of money" in order for you to achieve your goal, and have the site involved reimburse you ......but that's the way it is.

Anyway I think the modding community is lucky to have you and other people like you. TC.

I agree on that, it's odd isn't it? But then again Americas laws get more and more twisted and screwed up as the years go by.

Just for me, the only thing I find annoying is when other mod sites change your readme or module metadata to point to their own web site. I've seen it on some foreign language sites where they also translated the description text, but also on one other English language site that seems to always come up above the Nexus in page rank when searching by mod name. I take it as inevitable that it'll get uploaded without asking if popular enough, but I figure the least they can do is let people know where to look for it themselves and maybe even get support for it if needs be.

One way I think I've found around that is to just say the mod's hosted on the Nexus or wherever. Sometimes it doesn't seem like anybody reads the readme except to strip out URLs. Only slightly more annoying is when whoever uploaded it to the site thinks the abbreviated name of the game is your username...

I agree on that, it's odd isn't it? But then again Americas laws get more and more twisted and screwed up as the years go by.

I find it rather amusing that someone tried to steal the Mona Lisa.

I think they found him with all his fingers broken, and his back was pretty stressed.

Art is no joke, folks. In this case, .dds textures is the art.

People make a living doing it. Look at Bethesda.

If I took your wallet, would that piss you off?

I think it would.

Pop quiz: What person had his fingers insured for a million dollars a piece?

Hint: It wasn't the guy who got all his fingers broke.