IMPORTANT! A SITE IS STEALING MODS!

zidders

That's not entirely true, as far as I know. I don't think any mods on this site has been copyrighted by their owners, so even if somebody states they don't want their mod reuploaded elsewhere, it's not illegal for a site to redistribute it unless they intend to profit from it. I'm not fully up to date on copyright rights of user-created content, but that's correct as far as I understand.

Nope. Copyright is inherent. It exists from the moment something is created, and you need not do anything to benefit from the protections it offers.

http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html - see myth #1.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When first looking at this site not long after this topic first started I thought that their screenshots were quite beautiful. If they were original to the author or originally fan-uploaded I was not sure, but for the most part they looked 3rd-party-corporate to me. The Drop Lit Torches picture especially looks good but I don't think it's attached to the Nexus or wherever this mod may have originated. If I'm not already seeing double, and the original mod authors are agreed, they should take such screenshots and use them for wherever they do choose to host them. DLT is gone from that site, but the link to get there and preview thumbnail still seems active enough.

Of course if their modspawn theory goes active, mod authors will be able to update across multiple sites. Quite awesome.

Apparently they're claiming that 'GMOD' is a registered trademark owned by them, too. When if I recall correctly is actually a registered trademark of Valve/Garry Newman for Garrys Mod. To be honest they're playing with fire.

Apparently they're claiming that 'GMOD' is a registered trademark owned by them, too. When if I recall correctly is actually a registered trademark of Valve/Garry Newman for Garrys Mod. To be honest they're playing with fire.

They are correct, they do own the trademark.

Maybe you should do a search on this new thing called Google before you claim something?

Gmod at Trademarkia.com

I think the modders should now start using The Creative Common License.

For CS-generated content that wouldn't be legal since the EULA for the CS applies instead and there's no provisions for dual-licensing in the terms.

For custom made stuff (models, textures, audio) that's perfectly fine.

When first looking at this site not long after this topic first started I thought that their screenshots were quite beautiful. If they were original to the author or originally fan-uploaded I was not sure, but for the most part they looked 3rd-party-corporate to me. The Drop Lit Torches picture especially looks good but I don't think it's attached to the Nexus or wherever this mod may have originated. If I'm not already seeing double, and the original mod authors are agreed, they should take such screenshots and use them for wherever they do choose to host them. DLT is gone from that site, but the link to get there and preview thumbnail still seems active enough.

If you ever need to check on where other locations of a particular image exists on the net, feel free to use Tineye to help in your research. We do. :thumbsup:

LHammonds