Weapon rigging question

I've been trying to make a weapon that when worn, looks like you have both a one-handed sword on your hips, and a two-handed sword on your back, in their respective locations.

Only the one-handed weapon is real while the two-handed sword is just a static object, sort of like a second scabbard rigged to the backweapon bone. I have no idea if it's possible to use two different weapon rigging positions for one nif. Could anyone help me with this or come up with a workaround?

Hmm. When you equip a one hand sword or dagger the scabbard ( assuming one was made for it) stays on the hip area of the player. What you could try (like you said) is make a rely messed up scabbard with basically 2 parts. The used part where the 1 hander gets put into, and a second part being a separate mesh for the fake 2 hander. I just wonder how messed up the animations would be having the 2h sort of fixed to the hip bone area, or if the game would accept skinning data on aside weapon. Another option would be to make this mod 2 parts. Your sword, and an optional 2 hander that sits on the players back that uses up a ring, tail,or amulet slot. Essentially the game thinks the player just equipped a ring or tail slot item... On the players screen sits a 2h fake sword... I did this in the DC2 mod for the mantle, and the Apachii Goddess store has a few things that work like this.

2c

Edit - I just tried moving the scabbard of a weapon to the back area in NifScope then loaded Oblivion and it worked pretty well, other than the draw weapons animation. If you could get the second scabbard / 2 hander on a septate rig it would work perfect. Try exporting this sword you're working on with 1 copy. The real one, and another with skinning data for a back weapon. See what happens.

Edited by Angilla

I think I kind of understand what you mean. I thought of something like it too, have the "fake" two handed sword as a wornable item. However in the character skeleton there is no weapon bone. Where should I rig these weapons to?

Coronerras Maximum Compatibility Skeletons makes it easy. You can use this. It looks kind of odd when you load skeleton the but it has just about every bone you would ever need, including the side and back weapon data.

If you make it a wearable item instead of being part of the weapon itself. You could first load in an upper body mesh to use as a template. Then when you import your sword also import the Compatibility skeleton.

Attach the entire sword to the template upper body mesh. (make sure the sword is 1 peace).

Get the "fake" sword in the position you need it, then apply the back weapon weights from the skeleton.

Once everything looks good, you can ether leave or delete the upper body template mesh. (you can also delete it in NifScope)

Export the .nif file to Nifscope, and make sure to use the "Remove Bogus Nodes tool".

The final peace should be your sword sitting in NifScope by itself with the NiSkinInstance data applied to it.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Angilla

However in the character skeleton there is no weapon bone. Where should I rig these weapons to?

Actually there is a weapon and backweapon bone.

But you probably want to rig to Bip01 Spine2. You could try Spine1 as well.