Crash on Load after roaming in a certain area

Frapes

Since yesterday Oblivion keeps crashing when I load after roaming in a specific outdoor area. I was moving from Chorol towards Hackdirt (for shadow over Hackdirt quest) and after trying to load I got I CTD. Both my last saves and autosave were ruined so I loaded a previous save and did some testing. I noticed that whenever I went south of chorol and saved that file would be ''corrupt" (I'm using " " because it doesn't actually say the save is corrupted, It just CTDs whenever I load). It didn't mater where I saved, I tried lots of stuff

Save in that area -> load -> crash

Save in that area -> Save outside that area -> load -> crash

Just roam in the area -> Save outside -> load -> crash

I moved just outside that place and no problems occured. No crashes on loading not anything. I actually ran all the way around and tried to enter Hackdirt from the south. Everything was ok (constantly saving and loading to check) but when I entered Hackdirt it crashed again on the next load.

I guess it has something to do with the Cell(s) there. Maybe some mod conflict. Here's my load order

Oblivion.esm

CM Partners.esm

Francesco's Optional New Items Add-On.esm

Francesco's Leveled Creatures-Items Mod.esm

Francesco's Optional New Creatures Add-On.esm

vermillionandsilverthorn.esp

DLCShiveringIsles.esp

Francesco's 7 days respawn time - 1-16 day lenght rescale.esp

Francesco's Slower skills x1.5.esp

Francesco's Optional Files.esp

AlchemistsCave.esp

TOTF.esp

JQ-AssassinQuest.esp

JQ-AssassinQuest-NoMarkers.esp

The Lost Spires.esp

Malevolent.esp

Natural_Habitat_by_Max_Tael.esp

Natural_Vegetation_by_Max_Tael.esp

Natural_Water_by_Max_Tael.esp

Natural_Weather_HDR_by_Max_Tael.esp

HeartOftheDead.esp

MannimarcoComplete.esp

I think I've installed these properly (don't know about order though). Anyway I'll post this in the mod scetion too incase it is indeed a mod issue.

Edited by Frapes

It may be mod related, but there's a possibility that it's not. I have run into CTD issues that were related to a certain cell (like you've described). The only fix I've found is to avoid that area for a while. It seems to resolve itself after some game play and saves outside the problem area (in my case at least). Don't use quicksave as it's a known problem causer and I only load from an autosave when I've neglected to manually save often enough and I don't want to lose my progress. I've also seen advice to only load a save after exiting to the desktop, but I myself don't normally do that.

• 1 month later...
Hi, i also get this problem, and only seems to resolve itself when i re install the game, then it does the area cell crash again after a while of game time. I was just thinking about what Striker879 said about these quick saves, how do you do a quick save? is it where you type in console 'save <name>'? Because that is the only method i can save at the moment, because my keybored escape button doesn't actually work. If that is a quick save, then my hunch is that's whats causing my problem.

it doesnt have anything to do with quicksave.. i use that regularly without single problem

as for my xperiences with "this" crashing outside problem.. i had it in different area - temple in main city and as someone already said here as game time advances it goes away too (maybe quest / item in inv or npc related,,,,).. when i entered any house saves was ok, CTDs only outside, later i tried to "reconstruct" that crashing but it was saving okey so i remembered i had vilja on "wait here" so i tried to tell her that and as i said it -> saved -> ctd ,, talked to follow me save ok and so on,,, more later on i went there and now all saves ok, but if i load any of that old saves and try to save / load its ctd,,

Since yesterday Oblivion keeps crashing when I load after roaming in a specific outdoor area. I was moving from Chorol towards Hackdirt (for shadow over Hackdirt quest) and after trying to load I got I CTD. Both my last saves and autosave were ruined so I loaded a previous save and did some testing. I noticed that whenever I went south of chorol and saved that file would be ''corrupt" (I'm using " " because it doesn't actually say the save is corrupted, It just CTDs whenever I load). It didn't mater where I saved, I tried lots of stuff

Save in that area -> load -> crash

Save in that area -> Save outside that area -> load -> crash

Just roam in the area -> Save outside -> load -> crash

I moved just outside that place and no problems occured. No crashes on loading not anything. I actually ran all the way around and tried to enter Hackdirt from the south. Everything was ok (constantly saving and loading to check) but when I entered Hackdirt it crashed again on the next load.

I guess it has something to do with the Cell(s) there. Maybe some mod conflict. Here's my load order

I think you are correct in that it has to do with the cells. Sometimes an item or dead creature can become 'stuck' at the border of two cells, or even fall through. If this happens it's a recipe for a CTD. The answer is to leave the area completely (I would use the console and coc center) and then wait for four whole days, until the cells have reset, then fast travel back -- save the game while you are in no-man's-land'.

Keep in mind that this cell border issue can also be caused by conflicting mods.