⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Fallout 4 1.5 Update Public Service Announcement

SirSalami

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what are the exact changes that the 1.5 update is going to do to FO4's way of handling mods? Can I continue installing mods manually and then writing them in the plugins.txt file?

In response to post #36941800.

Wartinald wrote: So what are the exact changes that the 1.5 update is going to do to FO4's way of handling mods? Can I continue installing mods manually and then writing them in the plugins.txt file?

Yes, just make sure to put an * at the beginning of every mod entry, like this:

Fallout.esm
*[insert mod here].esp
*etc.

So, I've been using mods with the Survival Beta. I installed the new version of NMM and there's no such option to "import load-order from the Profile menu." Maybe that didn't make its way into the release version or something, but that's not an option in 0.61.17. The only options under Profile are "new, rename, remove, save."

In response to post #36944510.

N7Lisbeth wrote: So, I've been using mods with the Survival Beta. I installed the new version of NMM and there's no such option to "import load-order from the Profile menu." Maybe that didn't make its way into the release version or something, but that's not an option in 0.61.17. The only options under Profile are "new, rename, remove, save."

For it to show, I had to make a second profile.

In response to post #36944510.

N7Lisbeth wrote: So, I've been using mods with the Survival Beta. I installed the new version of NMM and there's no such option to "import load-order from the Profile menu." Maybe that didn't make its way into the release version or something, but that's not an option in 0.61.17. The only options under Profile are "new, rename, remove, save."

For it to show, I had to make a second profile.

I created a "new" profile and nothing. Do I have to create two "new" profiles for it to show? If so, that's insipid. I'm going to chalk the thing up as broken and carry on doing what I'm doing to make it work, e.g., manual tweaking. The only thing NMM did was try to add "*Fallout.esm" at the end of my plugins.txt file -- um, one, it's already there; two, Fallout.esm is an official .esm and doesn't get an asterisk. Only unofficial mods get the asterisk. Like I said, broken.

Edited by N7Lisbeth

In response to post #36924460. #36937585 is also a reply to the same post.

SirSalami wrote: "There's not a lot they can do yet other than edit textures and a couple other things, because the Creation Kit isn't out," Howard told Tech Insider. "And once it's out early next year, I think the sky's the limit."
- Dec 3, 2015, Business Insider: “What to expect from 'Fallout 4' in 2016

As you’re probably aware, the 1.5 update is currently in open beta and will likely be officially released very soon and with it comes the long-awaited Fallout 4 Creation Kit. Along with this, Bethesda is changing the way plugins will be handled by the game.

The result is that mod management software, including our own Nexus Mod Manager, will need to be updated to adhere to the new standards being set by Bethesda. Thankfully, by providing access to the beta updates, Bethesda has allowed us to be able to preemptively make the changes needed to NMM so that when the patch does arrive, you will be affected as minimally as possible. However, there are some things you need to be aware of:

When the Fallout 4 1.5 update is released, NMM users will need the to have the latest version installed. With that done, the first time you open NMM with the Fallout 1.5 update installed, all of your plugins will no longer be enabled. If you take advantage of NMM’s profile system, this can be most simply resolved by selecting “Import load-order” from the “Profile” menu, which will enable all of the the plugins associated with that profile at once. Otherwise, if you are not using an NMM profile, you will need to enable each plugin again in the usual fashion, either by selecting the plugins and clicking the green check-mark, or simply double-clicking each one. This is only a one-time thing that you will be reminded of the first time you open NMM with the 1.5 update installed.

Other mod management software (such as Mod Organizer) may handle this differently so be sure to check with them to understand what steps you may need to take. To those of you that prefer manual installation, the process has also been slightly streamlined so we’ve updated the wiki accordingly.

It’s important to remember that the amazing work that the Fallout 4 modding community has accomplished so-far has all been done without official support or tools from Bethesda. The pending release of the Creation Kit will not only provide the tools needed to make more expansive changes to the core game that we’re all looking forward to, but also likely more education directly from Bethesda themselves. Hopefully all of this leads into a healthy relationship between us and the new Bethesda.net mod repository, as well as the upcoming console modding community.

Very exciting times, indeed! This is going to be a unique transition period for the Fallout 4 community and we’re hoping to help make it as seamless and fruitful as possible. We’ll be sure to keep you updated with any developments!

mwhenry16 wrote: ...""There's not a lot they can do yet other than edit textures and a couple other things, because the Creation Kit isn't out," Howard..."
-9000+ mods prove Howard to be slightly off

It's obvious Todd wasn't expecting us to adapt Skyrim's tools so fast to Fallout 4. It took longer with Skyrim than Fallout 4 though.

In response to post #36933110. #36934215, #36937610, #36938095 are all replies on the same post.

xBlackBu11 wrote: When I update my game to the official 1.5 version, will that overwrite any of my mod files? will I have to reinstall any mods? or just activate the plugins?
bubinga64 wrote: It doesn't do anything to the mods. It just deactivated them because they were not being addressed correctly due to the new format. Basically it was the same as unchecking the .esp in NMM. All of the files were still there, they just didn't load into the game on a save that was using the survival difficulty. They did still load on a save that used any other difficulty. (Based on my limited testing) From what I understand the new NMM version takes care of that.

Edit: texture and mesh replacers always worked. Even with the beta. Just the .esp files were disabled.

So if NMM doesn't do it automatically then you should just have to activate the plugins.

I haven't actually tested NMM yet. I just read on one of the articles on the front page it's been updated for 1.5. Previously, if you were running the beta, you just needed to locate your plugin.txt file and add an * in front of any .esp you wanted to load. Any texture and mesh replacerers worked automatically because it was still pulling from the data folder before the games data.

I keep reading that it's an updated Skyrim engine, but it looks more like an updated Fallout engine from what I'm seeing.
wer123456 wrote: I agree with bubinga64's assessment, but I'd like to address a small concern of mine. Even though the files will be intact, will our installation information (on the Mods tab as opposed to the load order tab) be left intact? Otherwise, even though the mod files themselves will be intact, I won't be able to tell which mods were installed in what order.

I just realized I can sidestep the issue by deleting all the mods that I don't have currently installed, but that seems drastic.

Thoughts?
Ansler wrote: Since the mods tab saves the install and download date of each mod, and I've never seen a NMM update that resets those, you should be fine.

Fallout 4 uses an updated Creation Engine. The Creation Engine is based on Gamebyro but heavily rewritten. Bethesda's Gamebyro was a lot of their own code, so with the Creation Engine, they rewrote the rest of it, and even replaced quite a bit of their own stuff.

Here's the thing, a lot of the bugs people call Gamebyro bugs aren't actually Gamebyro bugs because you can't find them in other Gamebyro games. Most of the bugs were introduced with Bethesda's coding.

In response to post #36924460. #36937585, #36951105 are all replies on the same post.

SirSalami wrote: "There's not a lot they can do yet other than edit textures and a couple other things, because the Creation Kit isn't out," Howard told Tech Insider. "And once it's out early next year, I think the sky's the limit."
- Dec 3, 2015, Business Insider: “What to expect from 'Fallout 4' in 2016

As you’re probably aware, the 1.5 update is currently in open beta and will likely be officially released very soon and with it comes the long-awaited Fallout 4 Creation Kit. Along with this, Bethesda is changing the way plugins will be handled by the game.

The result is that mod management software, including our own Nexus Mod Manager, will need to be updated to adhere to the new standards being set by Bethesda. Thankfully, by providing access to the beta updates, Bethesda has allowed us to be able to preemptively make the changes needed to NMM so that when the patch does arrive, you will be affected as minimally as possible. However, there are some things you need to be aware of:

When the Fallout 4 1.5 update is released, NMM users will need the to have the latest version installed. With that done, the first time you open NMM with the Fallout 1.5 update installed, all of your plugins will no longer be enabled. If you take advantage of NMM’s profile system, this can be most simply resolved by selecting “Import load-order” from the “Profile” menu, which will enable all of the the plugins associated with that profile at once. Otherwise, if you are not using an NMM profile, you will need to enable each plugin again in the usual fashion, either by selecting the plugins and clicking the green check-mark, or simply double-clicking each one. This is only a one-time thing that you will be reminded of the first time you open NMM with the 1.5 update installed.

Other mod management software (such as Mod Organizer) may handle this differently so be sure to check with them to understand what steps you may need to take. To those of you that prefer manual installation, the process has also been slightly streamlined so we’ve updated the wiki accordingly.

It’s important to remember that the amazing work that the Fallout 4 modding community has accomplished so-far has all been done without official support or tools from Bethesda. The pending release of the Creation Kit will not only provide the tools needed to make more expansive changes to the core game that we’re all looking forward to, but also likely more education directly from Bethesda themselves. Hopefully all of this leads into a healthy relationship between us and the new Bethesda.net mod repository, as well as the upcoming console modding community.

Very exciting times, indeed! This is going to be a unique transition period for the Fallout 4 community and we’re hoping to help make it as seamless and fruitful as possible. We’ll be sure to keep you updated with any developments!

mwhenry16 wrote: ...""There's not a lot they can do yet other than edit textures and a couple other things, because the Creation Kit isn't out," Howard..."
-9000+ mods prove Howard to be slightly off
Camonna Tong wrote: It's obvious Todd wasn't expecting us to adapt Skyrim's tools so fast to Fallout 4. It took longer with Skyrim than Fallout 4 though.

To be fair, there's still a decent chunk of content which is somewhat restricted without the CK, such as proper scripting, quests and dungeons. But experience with xEdit has certainly made a difference, that's true, and allowed for some very impressive mods.
But hell, sky's the limit now, as Todd Howard says. So looking forward to it :)

My game gets to loading screen but crashes when I have the beta installed. It did this before NMM updated when I tried to do the manual setup from the main menu as well. I'm going to go through my mods a few at at time, but does anybody know of any specific mods that conflict with 1.5 on their own?