Ban Content

hadoumastery

46 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be a list or a warning when modders release content that may get them a ban?

• Yes, we should get a warning when releasing content or 3 days notice to take it down before a ban.
    • There should be a list that is easy to find that lets you know what content earns a ban.
    • No, it should stay as it is now.

At first I voted yes because I misunderstood exactly what the vote was regarding. Then I re-read the entirety of this and am of the opinion that, no, it's really obvious. My account might be from '06 but I only started using it again very recently, but once I was on the forums reading it was crystal clear what was appropriate content and what wasn't. They're basically all common sense, to me, at least.

Anyway, if the author has made a genuine mistake and isn't just uploading "lololol here are my Crysis rips d00dz" then I might think that there be more lenient treatment... i.e. in the past I've had difficulty juggling art assets from two related games at once, and it'd suck to be banned because I accidentally dropped the ball and needed to fix my content.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mean its really impossible for them to put a warning about every game that could possibly be ripped off, that would be a huge list. Makeing a list that says no stealing Halo stuff, would mean that people would rip a different game off and say... oh hey that game wasnt in the list.

I also don't like the idea of me as a modder being forced to jump through a extra hoop because a small amount of people dont do their research or make a mistake, plus would it really stop most those people from posting stolen content? I dont think it would, they already took something that was not their making without any care for the modder who made it (or game maker). They will post it anyways.

I am sure if your a new person who never had a run in with the "law" here, that if you took the time to fill out and talk to the Mods here you would get a second chance.

Though sometimes you can go to far and break a rule that will keep you banned.

It's clear sometimes people do get warmings. Every report is dealt with on a case by case basis.

When you signed up on the forums you agreed to abide by the rules. And when you post or upload, you also say you agree to the rules.

So you'd better have read what those are or you really have no business posting or uploading.

And if you're not clear what a particular rule is, there are easy avenues to ask in the feedback forums, and the admins are excellent in responding and explaining.

TBH I don't really see how there's a better system than the one that's here.

Edited by drakeelvin

Yeah I can see where you're coming from, but in my opinion, even though I can see it quite well if I went looking for it, it should still have a "Red-Flag" status. And by a "List" I mean a list that tells of all currently known bad content, maybe as a sticky on the forums or something. Or maybe just a larger labeled warning when uploading. It just feels too... subtle to me.

Ah I remember when there was only a tesnexus and nothing more... a time when there where no warnings at all when you uploaded files and pictures, it was a simpler time... perhaps a better time.

I am sorry but short of hitting people over the head with something I dont see how they could be any more clear, its in red print you have to even tick a box to make it go through. Its not up to the site owners to waste time and resources to force feed information down peoples throats, do you know how MUCH ripped content is floating around for these games? I can name at least 40 offhand right now for fallout alone there is even MORE for oblivion, there are thousands of ripped mods and thats just counting the English speaking folks. There are thousands more in the Russian communities and even more then that in the Asian communities.

To keep track is truly impossible, and to just keep a detailed list of all the mods removed from nexus daily would take a lot of time and effort... that could all be avoided if people bothered to read the red print put in their faces.

Or even simply ask a question in the many forums.... and lets face it 90% of those people would not even bother to read the helpful sticky that could list all of those mods.

I did not mean keeping a list of "All" the removed mods, just the ones of importance. Such as ones banned for copyright. And even then you don't have to name a repeated offense or anything, just name what mod content earned the ban so that everyone knows not to use it.

-And even to that extent you only have to name what got banned on this particular nexus, I am not saying watch every single thing, just saying to watch what gets banned on the nexus.

Edited by hadoumastery

If you get banned for doing something you didn't know was wrong, get given a second chance, and then don't go and read the terms of service and see exactly what will get you banned then you are, quite plainly, an idiot.

Here it is in the ToS:

# Absolutely no copyrighted work is to be used without permission of the original creator. This includes content from other games, from DLCs, music creators or from other file authors. This also includes members from countries that do not recognise copyright laws (such as Russia).

# All files uploaded must have been created by the uploader or used with permission from the original author of the content. If you cannot provide proof of consent when asked then your file will be removed and your account is likely to be banned.

It can't be any plainer than that and it is not my fault if users fail to take it on board despite having to TWICE click a box confirming that the content they are using is their's, or they have a right to use the content from whoever owns the copyright on the content. Now give it a rest because as far as I can see almost everyone (or I think, in fact, everyone) who has posted here has said there's enough warning.

At some time in your life, you really need to accept responsibility for your own actions. http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f351/charonn0/ohgeez-1.gif

You weren't banned for something we (the staff) did, or for something that some other person did. You were banned for something YOU did.

Ah, I just had some light shed on something about Crossfirex, he posted something that toxa01 "Ripped" in a mod by accident believing toxa that it was ok to upload. Well this would now explain why he had bad content, misinformation. But that is beside the point. I do believe in every sense that you are correct, you should take responsibility for your actions. But sometimes, your actions can be manipulated by another person somehow (such as asking someone you didn't know was a rip artist for permission) but yeah, perhaps it's less about creating a list for content that earns a ban and more for creating a list of known rip-artists to ensure no one falls prey to them.

-A list that is easy to find I might add. If it's difficult to find such a list you could probably expect it not to be read.

Edited by hadoumastery

Eh, I don't think lists are the answer. I agree that if you get a chain like so:

Copyright Content -> Rip Artist -> Clueless Modder

It should probably be questioned if the clueless modder had knowledge that the rip artist stole content from whatever source. Some people really do seem to painstakingly recreate a model from another game just so they can legally share the content with the rest of the community, so it's not always fair to say that it looks like the content from game X so it must be the content from game X and you should've known. It doesn't really matter (for me), but it would seem unfair to get banned just because someone duped you.