Where were you at 9/11

kvnchrist

I was off that week and shopping in town, several people at the checkout were talking about an attack on the United States, to start with I thought it was a conventional attack by a country with a death wish. We dashed home, put Sky News on and saw the full horror of what had happened.

Was woken up by a call from an army recruiter (I assume one of the bastard kids in my highschool provided the information). I knew nothing of what had happened. The recruiter mentioned "some crazy stuff happening", I gave a half-awake response of confirmation followed by a clear mention that I wasn't interested in learning more about serving the army. Turned on the TV just before the second plane hit. The next few hours were just surreal as the news of the day unfolded. Don't remember much of the day after that, but remember talking about it with one of my coworkers who had family in the millitary about how they knew who did it, and were mobilizing. I still feel like a bit of an ass for turning down that recruiter, but realize that I most certainly would not have survived basic training without serious harm to myself or others (was still going through a bout of depression).

Is it wrong to mention that the lack of planes in the sky for the following days was oddly refreshing?

Almost ten years ago... it doesn't feel that long, really. I was at school, in class. Third seat back on the left-most row in English class when they announced what had happened. We turned on the TV and watched it for the better half of the day. Quietest day in my entire life, I think.

Was woken up by a call from an army recruiter (I assume one of the bastard kids in my highschool provided the information). I knew nothing of what had happened. The recruiter mentioned "some crazy stuff happening", I gave a half-awake response of confirmation followed by a clear mention that I wasn't interested in learning more about serving the army. Turned on the TV just before the second plane hit. The next few hours were just surreal as the news of the day unfolded. Don't remember much of the day after that, but remember talking about it with one of my coworkers who had family in the millitary about how they knew who did it, and were mobilizing. I still feel like a bit of an ass for turning down that recruiter, but realize that I most certainly would not have survived basic training without serious harm to myself or others (was still going through a bout of depression).

Is it wrong to mention that the lack of planes in the sky for the following days was oddly refreshing?

Military service is not for everybody. Being in the Military is not a job. It is a way of life. There are those that have no idea what they are getting into and end up getting kicked out. I don't know what happened to you after that day, but I'm happy you are still around to post your memories here. Have a great day!

I know there are a lot of people who are not from the U.S. but I would be interested in finding out, where you were and what you were doing, when you heard of this event.

I remember it well, because I was had just delivered my load inside the beltway, in Washington D.C. I had pulled around to a street, where the consinee said I could take my break. I'd just stopped the when I heard a knock on my driver's side door. I looked down and there was a guy standing there. I was hestant to open up, since there are so many panhandlers everywhere.

Finally I did and the guy told me that a plane just flew into the World trde center and the Pentagon. I was less than 5 miles fron the pentagon, so I was almost sure I'd have heard something like that. I was first skeptical, but he said, turn on your radio and I did. A terrible day, for a lot of people.

I was at home during 9/11 trying to find out why Bush had the iraq invasion plans on his desk the day before. Why the WTC7 building was control demolitioned, not mentioned in the official reports. Why they lied about the twin towers collapse - a few planes couldn't have brought down both towers. Why they lied about the plane that crashed at pentagon completely "vaporized" into thin air. They must think Americans are imbeciles (even though the majority are). Why Dick Cheney was in charge on NOROD on 9/11. There's more but I grow tired of listing the same unanswered crap over and over.

War was never for honorable or good intentions.

I was at home during 9/11 trying to find out why Bush had the iraq invasion plans on his desk the day before. Why the WTC7 building was control demolitioned, not mentioned in the official reports. Why they lied about the twin towers collapse - a few planes couldn't have brought down both towers. Why they lied about the plane that crashed at pentagon completely "vaporized" into thin air. They must think Americans are imbeciles (even though the majority are). Why Dick Cheney was in charge on NOROD on 9/11. There's more but I grow tired of listing the same unanswered crap over and over.

1) It's NORAD..North American Air Defense Command.

2) When the president is out of position it is standard protocol to have his second in command in charge during an attack until the President resumes his viability as CIC.

3) There has been no credible proof of your specious allegations as to the World Trade Towers collapse, just another example of conspiracy theorist fantasy.

4) You have proved one point though, at least about 'some' Americans.

5) For someone who has made three posts total you have managed to be offensive in two, great batting average.

Edited by Aurielius

I was on my way to a restaurant on my 10th Birthday in Corfu when we passed a small club with an outdoor TV on. It was showing the attacks and it was, at the time, the most horrifying thing I'd ever seen. About two weeks later, we had to go back to England via a plane and that wasn't exactly a good feeling.