Actor Shadows Issue

GaBoownz

So I finally achieved my dream of having a fairly modded Oblivion with virtually no crashes. Unfortunately I have one problem that is fairly annoying: Shadows will be totally okay up close, but from a couple feet away they will begin to outline the skeleton of the actor in question and leave a really funky looking visual, getting worse until the fShadowLOD setting kicks in and removes their shadow altogether, like his/her skin is transparent or something. I have tweaked the actor shadows settings to give me great shadows such as casting the shadow from my character's quiver on his back to the flickering of a torchlight on their hair, and I've already deduced one agent in this problem:

In Oblivion.ini the lines iActorsShadowCountExt/Int seem to directly affect the appearance of this strange phenomenon. However, lowering these values from my cushy setting of 15 completely removes cast shadows from actors altogether. This is fairly frustrating and I'd like to know if anybody else is having this issue or if they know of a way to remove it without getting rid of the extra prettiness.

My GPU is a GTX 460 and I have 8gb of ram with the 4gb enabler patch on Oblivion, so my hardware is not the issue. I know somebody in an earlier thread had this issue too, but it's far enough back that I chose to start a new one, if that's cool. If you guys want photos of the issue I can upload some.

In your Oblivion.ini what is the setting for iShadowMapResolution? Lower settings result in lesser quality shadows, and the value should be evenly divisible by 8.

In your Oblivion.ini what is the setting for iShadowMapResolution? Lower settings result in lesser quality shadows, and the value should be evenly divisible by 8.

I have it set to 2048. Should work okay.

EDIT: yeah, played with the setting and regardless of the resolution I still have the problem.

Edited by GaBoownz

The shadow outlines the skeleton? I wouldn't mind seeing a screenie of that.

Try iShadowFilter, it is by default hardcoded to go no higher than 2 in the Video options menu-it will reset after editing the INI if you do ANYTHING in the Video options menu: set to anywhere from 4 to 20. you have a nice video card, should handle it at 20. Be sure you're shaders are not tweaked (19 for 13), this can sometimes bork your graphics ingame.

Oblivion shadowing is not that pretty, and takes resources; I recommend going without.

Edited by MOTOSXORPIO

Yeah, I'm considering just turning off self-shadows. At my settings they look alright, aside from this curious issue which I guess makes it not alright. Yeah, the shadow filter didn't touch it. I play on 20 but changing it down didn't remove the issue. My shaders should be okay since I have never touched them, but I really don't know what I'd be looking for.