Having an install issue.

Elsarian

Okay, I have been playing Oblivion for a long time now and have installed this game countless times, but never, have I ever had this problem; "cyclic redundancy check". I believe a redundancy check is done when there is data that might be damaged so windows checks for their to be 0's in the data there for causing a redundancy. So is that the problem and is there any way to repair this? By the way, I am installing the game from a ligit walmart-bought disk. Right at a certain point in the install process there is a text box that pops up saying,"Error: 'cyclic redundancy check'", it happens right when you see the screenshot of Bruma. Which I believe is a quarter way into the install process. Any one know of a way to fix this?

Any help here will be greatly appreciated and rewarded. Thanks in advance.

-Elsarian.

You are right in believing that a CRC error indicates corrupted data. It can be caused by a scratched disk. If the disk is not damaged too bad you may be able to repair it.

Here is a link to a site that explains how to recover scratched CDs & DVDs

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-repair-and-recover-data-from-damaged-cds-or-dvds/

Thank you very much bben. I will be sure to download some of the software and give it a try. I will do whatever I can to avoid having to buy the game again. All I want to do is get past the install process. After that I wont need the disk again because I downloaded a no cd crack so that I wouldn't have to use it. Just pure convenience. Plus it sounds like a bad idea to run the game from a damaged disk anyway.

Thanks again. I hope some of this works :thumbsup:

-Elsarian

Don't worry I have tried that countless times. With every method that the link told about. I already knew about them. However, what really helped me was the CD Recovery program. That has to be the best and most amazing tool that I have ever used when it comes to getting games to work. And the best part is is that it can work with any type of software. I thank you so much bben for posting that link. Oblivion works like a charm. But there is one last thing.........is there any way that I can obtain the "Official" Patch without having the SI / KOTN expansion disk? I lost the disk a while back after I uninstalled Oblivion. So I cant really install any of my mods without that patch. Any ideas?

I wish it was like Fallout 3's Expansions because you can actually take out the patch installers from the disk and archive them for later use. You wont be able to play the new content, but you will still be able to install things like FOSE and other mods that require the certain patches. Some things just can't be that simple I guess.

Well, anyone have any clue as to where I can obtain the patch? Or should I just suck it up and buy the expansions?

-Elsarian

Don't worry I have tried that countless times. With every method that the link told about. I already knew about them. However, what really helped me was the CD Recovery program. That has to be the best and most amazing tool that I have ever used when it comes to getting games to work. And the best part is is that it can work with any type of software. I thank you so much bben for posting that link. Oblivion works like a charm. But there is one last thing.........is there any way that I can obtain the "Official" Patch without having the SI / KOTN expansion disk? I lost the disk a while back after I uninstalled Oblivion. So I cant really install any of my mods without that patch. Any ideas?

I wish it was like Fallout 3's Expansions because you can actually take out the patch installers from the disk and archive them for later use. You wont be able to play the new content, but you will still be able to install things like FOSE and other mods that require the certain patches. Some things just can't be that simple I guess.

Well, anyone have any clue as to where I can obtain the patch? Or should I just suck it up and buy the expansions?

-Elsarian

You can download the Official Patch for Oblivion and Oblivion+ the SI expansion here: http://www.elderscrolls.com/downloads/updates_patches.htm

You could've packed the plugin and BSA for each of the expansion packs into an OMOD or simply backed them up anywhere on your computer for later use. They have the same structure as any other mod with a plugin and some data files packed into a BSA. There's nothing special about them. ...Well, the EXE installers can be annoying, but you only really have to go through that mess once, ha-ha.

--Tomlong54210

Thank you very much Tomlong! Kudos to you!

Sorry for the double post, but Tomlong, it seems that there is an issue with the link. It says 404- Not Found.

:biggrin: Thanks Tomlong! :thumbsup: