Fallout 4 Creation Kit Beta and an Important Notice to Survival Testers

SirSalami

In response to post #37213130. #37230205, #37233355 are all replies on the same post.

Sertith wrote: Just a quick note:

For everyone saying the problem has to be certain mods, or UI mods, you are WRONG. Last night I uninstalled FO$, Nexus, Deleted ALL MODS. Re-download FO4, just vanilla, not even using Nexus at all, and it STILL CTD on start up.
Mvpbeserker wrote: Same for me.
KazFoxsen wrote: I had that problem, plus validating files did nothing. What fixed mine was deleting the .ini files and starting without validating files.

EDIT: Mine crashed on attempting to load or start a new game. Not sure if yours does the same.

For me, it was deleting the Archive section in FalloutCustoms, CTD at main menu everytime, but others have told me that didnt help.
Also, Im not sure if it will help, but your plugins.txt may be outta order. NMM is mixing up the DLC esms. Wouldn't hurt to look even if your not using mods. Should look like this:

# This file is used by Fallout4 to keep track of your downloaded content.
# Please do not modify this file.
*Fallout4.esm
*DLCRobot.esm
*DLCworkshop01.esm Edited by ZombieArron

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #37220780.

SwedishTom wrote:

In response to post #37179945. #37180065, #37187110, #37187155, #37187485, #37187870, #37188675, #37188720, #37188775, #37189305, #37189815, #37189895, #37190980, #37193285, #37212065, #37219065 are all replies on the same post.

bben46 wrote:

Answer to: Mods being disabled every time - or asterisks being removed. Same thing. You need to set your plugins.txt file to read only AFTER activating all of your mods, (Activating the mods in NMM puts in the asterisks for you)

To find the plugins.txt C:\users\Your user name\Appdata\Local\Fallout4\ Right click,on plugins.txt, left click on Properties and put a check in the box that says read only then click apply and then OK

krwada wrote: I tried this ... The game still does NOT recognize that there are MODS installed. It runs OK, but NO MODS!

Version 1.4 did not have this problem.

I wish I could roll 1.5 back to 1.4

I cannot do this... or at least, I do not know how to do this.
TylersInsanity wrote: I'm having the same problem. I usually know how to handle modding issues but right now I'm at a loss.
scarab77 wrote: Negative. This does not appear to work at all.
MorganEriksson1 wrote: i tried it and it kinda works still gives me the theres content that can not be blah blah but it dosen't say any mods names only a # or something but i load it and it works but everytime i start nmm i need to do the same thing again it hasen't been like this before nmm always did it for me i am also getting fps drops now witch i haven't got before even with ultra settings andd also for people how dont find the appdata folder try to type this in the windows search bar %localappdata%\Fallout4 it works for me could not find the C:\users\Your user name\Appdata\Local\Fallout4\
cormell wrote: Where's appdata? Must be in a different place in Windows 7 Can't find plugins.txt either.

Thanks Morgan. I should have read all of the 379 posts. lol

RaffTheSweetling wrote: appdata is exactly where described by bben46. On my computer it is in C:\users\Administrator\Appdata\Local\Fallout4\

Inside this folder I currently have:

DLCList.txt
loadorder.nmm.bak
loadorder.txt
Plugins.fo4viewsettings
plugins.nmm.bak
plugins.txt

(edit - sorry for confusing some names in earlier edit of this post.)
VulpineWolf wrote: @cormell
It's a hidden folder, you can get there by going to %appdata%.
Basil_oz wrote: The appdata directory & plugins.txt file are hidden on a lot of systems. You need turn your options to "show hidden folders/files" in the control panel. Best to google this to find out how to do it on your system.
bubinga64 wrote: Just to help, on my system Windows 10 automatically undoes the changes for whatever reason even after saving. Once you asterisk the plugin names, save, close and reopen to make sure it stays.

I have to copy the file, make the changes, then overwrite the original file for the changes to stick. I'm not sure of the root cause. I've had odd problems with win10 since it launched. It also borks the NMM config file on me every time win10 updates so I have to go in and delete that just to get NMM to open. NMM makes a new one when you delete it.
rayhne wrote: I activate all my mods through NMM and it always removes the *.
bubinga64 wrote: Question to bben46,

NMM has prompted me every time if I would like to allow it to set the file to r/w instead of read only while NMM is active. I haven't verified that it actually works because I've been manually managing the plugin.txt file. Is that a beta option that doesn't work yet? I'm asking due to your post.
Claysson2 wrote: Happened to me, turns out I needed to update my F4SE Version to 1.13 . The F4SELoader.exe starts the game before the Fallout4launcher.exe has a chance.

http://f4se.silverlock.org/
Augusta Calidia wrote: @bben46 - Does NMM automatically convert "plugins.txt" to "read only" if you launch Fallout 4 (or Skyrim or Fallout NV or whatever) using NMM?

I ask this question because every time I've inspected the Appdata "plugins.txt" file, its properties were NOT set to "read only." Furthermore, I have not myself reset the properties because Fallout 4 has run quite well without me doing that. Yet everything I've read indicates that the "plugin.txt" file must be set the "read only." Hence my question - does NMM reset the properties automatically to "read only" when the game is launched through NMM?

Thank you in advance for helping me in my confusion.
jake1976 wrote: I been finding that I have to set the file from read only, manually put in the *s then save then set it back to read only, as every time I activate something thru NMM everything gets de-activated...

Knock on Wood this has been only way I can keep my mods running... its a pain, and I got a shortcut to the folder with the plugins text but it works...
DPnavpoc wrote: I tried this and looks to be working for me. My fingers are crossed that it stays this way.

It doesn't. Installing or unistalling mods will reset it, then you'll have to reactivate all the plugins then set Plugins.txt back to read only. Hoping for an update to NMM soon.

As ZombieArron said, it don't help with having the plugins.txt opened, but it has helped me slightly though, as explained below.

Hopefully this helps someone though. I have made the plugins.txt file in AppData/Local/Fallout4 to readable, each time (only 2 so far) I installed a new mod I check the plugins tab, they all showing they are ticked but opening the plugins.txt file they are not showing the * infront of each ticked mod. All I have to do is untick the mod I just installed, then retick it and all the mods are ticked back as it should be for me.

Incase it matters I using the latest NMM, v0.61.20 and F4SE 0_01_13. Have played a couple hours and so far all good. Ohh and not playing on Survival Difficulty either, incase it makes a difference.

I do the same, Ill keep it open in Note++ then copy and paste the Fallou4.esm, ect. ect. at the top, save it and exit - AFTER using NMM. Opening NMM and tweaking the loadorder also disables everything, so you'll have to rinse and repeat. Just export your load and keep a copy of your plugins.txt for quicker process til NMM is sorted out. Edited by ZombieArron

In response to post #37233185. #37233780 is also a reply to the same post.

ravernware wrote: ouch!! Anyone else using Bethesda.net for mod management? I am def NOT installing the latest update until all this dust settles. Hmmph.
jdaacv wrote: May you explain?

I do not need the drama. Therefore steam will be offline until this latest 'Bethesda: we love you modders' update screw up is sorted out. Ergo.. no more buying games via steam. I will buy direct or from other sites. Besides.. I have been finding FO4 rather boring so far anyway. These latest update issues certainly do not help. Remember...Bethesda stated they want to support the modding community. Could it be if only the modders post exclusively to Bethesda.net???? But then other posts seem to indicate even their mod manager is messed up. WTF over?
Plus I wanna give the modders some time to really create, provided their works will be allowed to actually work.
So again.. HMMPH! ;(

In response to post #37233185. #37233780, #37234860 are all replies on the same post.

ravernware wrote: ouch!! Anyone else using Bethesda.net for mod management? I am def NOT installing the latest update until all this dust settles. Hmmph.
ravernware wrote: I do not need the drama. Therefore steam will be offline until this latest 'Bethesda: we love you modders' update screw up is sorted out. Ergo.. no more buying games via steam. I will buy direct or from other sites. Besides.. I have been finding FO4 rather boring so far anyway. These latest update issues certainly do not help. Remember...Bethesda stated they want to support the modding community. Could it be if only the modders post exclusively to Bethesda.net???? But then other posts seem to indicate even their mod manager is messed up. WTF over?
Plus I wanna give the modders some time to really create, provided their works will be allowed to actually work.
So again.. HMMPH! ;(

Unfortunately, This is the process of getting everything to play nicely together. Beth has been cool with what we do to their games. They also see that its becoming more mainstream and they, like any smart company, want to be a part of it too. The bad thing about this is that Nexus has to dance around them, Bethesda isn't gonna go out of their way just to satisfy us; they also have their cashco- i mean, console players to worry about. They have their priorities and almost leave us to our devices. Edited by ZombieArron

In response to post #37209485.

bben46 wrote:

Here is what I did to get my game to work.

My FO4 with about 50 or so mods was working fine with the older version.

First I use the NMM profiles, so I have a current working profile saved ( for all of the people that screamed about being forced to use profiles, That is one of the reasons for having profiles in NMM, so you will have a current backup copy at all times)

I was NOT using any beta versions of FO4 and not using the CK yet.

After allowing the new Bethesda update, I first started the game through the steam launcher. I think this allows the game to replace your existing ini with a new copy (yes, if it does replace, it does remove any custom settings you had, but you did back those up didn’t you?) It crashed. But I think the ini were replaced which was part of the reason for starting with the steam launcher.

I went into NMM and imported my existing profile. It only activated about a quarter of my mods.

I used the NMM to activate the rest. Then tried to run - The first time it informed me my F4SE was out of date and told me to update it then exited

I went to the F4SE site and installed the beta version they have for the new version.

I tried to start using the NMM F4SE launcher. it crashed. I went back to NMM and it had disabled the same set of mods as before. After enabling them, I went to the plugins.txt and found it had lost it's read only - so I reset that.

This time it didn't disable most mods, but still crashed.

I disabled DEF-UI and another UI mod - It worked. EVERY mod except those related to the UI were there.

I looked on the DEF-UI mod on nexus mods and saw there was already an update. I updated it and also found an update for the other UI mod ( don't remember right off what it was) and tested - it worked.

Since then I have added another mod using NMM and it still worked.

I think the way the NMM is supposed to handle plugins,txt is to disable read only when you tell it to, then re-enable read only when it exits NMM. - set your NMM to close when you start the game.

I have not made any changes to the default ini yet.

For the kiddies that scream they shouldn't have to do all of this that it should just work. Welcome to modding. That is the way it has always been. A few years ago there was no mod manager, no LOOT and no simple instructions on how to get mods to work. Modding was a geek exclusive activity and if you were not willing to put in the time and effort to learn to be a geek you just didn't use mods because you couldn't. Today you have it easy with the specialized knowledge of those geeks who wrote the tutorials, created the Managers and created the third party tools like LOOT. Unfortunately, using mods is still not plug and play. But we are getting closer. :thumbsup:

Since my computer died this morning with a bad Motherboard ( not related to games, Beth, Steam or Nexus at all) I will not be able to work on any more help for a week or so. This is being posted on a non gaming capable and slow older Linux Laptop. :rolleyes:

Bumped. Take a look at all solutions, no matter how insignificant. Could be a combo of things, or something simple yet elusive. and PLEASE post about it if you do solve it, even if you dont think it will help; 10 thousand+ others might. Edited by MechaReptar

In response to post #37233185. #37233780, #37234860, #37235730 are all replies on the same post.

ravernware wrote: I do not need the drama. Therefore steam will be offline until this latest 'Bethesda: we love you modders' update screw up is sorted out. Ergo.. no more buying games via steam. I will buy direct or from other sites. Besides.. I have been finding FO4 rather boring so far anyway. These latest update issues certainly do not help. Remember...Bethesda stated they want to support the modding community. Could it be if only the modders post exclusively to Bethesda.net???? But then other posts seem to indicate even their mod manager is messed up. WTF over?
So again.. HMMPH! ;(
ZombieArron wrote: Unfortunately, This is the process of getting everything to play nicely together. Beth has been cool with what we do to their games. They also see that its becoming more mainstream and they, like any smart company, want to be a part of it too. The bad thing about this is that Nexus has to dance around them, Bethesda isn't gonna go out of their way just to satisfy us; they also have their cashco- i mean, console players to worry about. They have their priorities and almost leave us to our devices.

ZombieArron.. You are so right. Consoles.. my PS3 has like 2 inches of dust on it (it was a gift, bleh).
But consoles are were the corporate money is at.
Yet imo no console will ever match the gaming power of a PC. Never.
PC forever!! Nexus Forever!! Ravernware out (drops mike ala the Pres did tonight at the WHCD).

In response to post #37239170.

DeltaMagnatude wrote: My Fallout 4 crashes every time I startup fallout 4. Once Fallout 4 launches, it crashes before it even reaches the main menu. I don't know why this is happening, but what I know is that the plugins.txt never adds the astericks in.

Crashing before the main menu is a missing master in 99.99% of the cases.