why is everyone pirating FONV?

hoofhearted4

And as for Steam being a "breach of rights" that's laughable - no-one is forced to buy the game - Don't like Steam? Then don't buy the game and show your disapproval that way.

You missed the point completely. My point is that I should not have to install a third party program onto a machine I own, for a game I have bought with my money. It wouldn't bother me so much if it wasn't intrusive or performance consuming.

You're the one missing the point I'm afraid. If you do want to play New Vegas legally then you are accepting that Steam is part of it. The only 'right' you have here is the one to choose not to purchase it. Like I said, I'm not keen on it either, but those are the terms.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That the game always requires Steam is a problem though. I personally don't like Steam. It's like burning money. Once rigistered, you can't sell or even give it a relative.

So I avoid Steam-Only-Titles as far as possible, since there's no legal way around Steam. They also don't release patches, which remove this requirement. So I actually don't buy/play much Steam-Games.

If they would close because they've gone bankrupt or sth, we just can't play any longer these games.

Edit

This is no excuse for pirating of cause, just my opinion about Steam.

Edited by tortured Tomato

I just don't see the point in why any company would bother with things like Steam's DRM system. Sure, use it for hosting DLC, but if DRM doesn't work, don't use it. All they're doing is annoying people and causing many who either can't use Steam or hate it so much to head down the path of piracy, thus creating what is was supposed to eliminate. I don't mind Steam that much, it's just the DRM part I hate because sometimes you have to use it constantly (such as C&C4), meaning I can't play Xbox LIVE when my bro is playing C&C4.

Steam discussion again? If you don't like New Vegas being on Steam, boycott it. People are upset about it but eventually end up buying the game anyways, so that point isn't even valid.

As for the thread theme, Steam isn't the cause. Piracy has been around for ages. People do piracy because they want, and they can get away with it.

Edited by Yoshh

Whats more annoying is "I only pirated it to test it and I am going to buy".

You can understand trying the game before you buy on some level (not condoning piracy just saying can understand it) but then they come to the forums or chat asking about full modding ect with the same excuse when found out.

When they have got to the stage of wanting mods, surely they know they like the game and should have brought it.

Its just coming up with an extra BS excuse to justify it to themselves.

You can buy the game as hardcopy on dvd like usual, but steam will be required to install the game.

This means you need an account and then you need to register it. Without registration the install progress wont proceede.

The game won't start without Steam as well.

So in fact you need to be logged in, but there's an option to go in an offline mode, but activating the offline mode will reqire to be online, at least once.

The DLCs are not available as hardcoy and you need to buy/activate it on Steam.

If you buy it in other shops, you actually purchase a Steam activation code.

Edited by tortured Tomato

Back to the OP's question;

Since F:NV is the only game supported here on the Nexus that 100% requires Steam to legitimately install and patch it, my unscientific sampling of the recent bump in bans of F:NV players can be traced to the (to me, incredibly) high number of pirates who confess to their crime by coming here for help with the problems created by their having non-Steam installs.

The rates of piracy for other games might be the same, but that they are using a stolen copy isn't so immedately obvious from their descriptions of the issues.