why is everyone pirating FONV?

hoofhearted4

I hope Nexus provide a way where we can link our steam account to Nexus account. If a user fails to link to his/her steam account, his/her privilege to write on comment section should be taken away.

Ever since I updated my mods to require 1.4 patch. I get questions like this:

"Your latest version doesn't work.."

"Did you download the 1.4 patch?"

"No, where can i get the patch?"

"Log in to your steam account."

"I didn't buy it from steam."

and next thing I know I get a thumb down endorsement with "User could not get the file to work."

Well, if that's the case, you really should report the person if you have not already and ask a moderator to remove the negative endorsement. I know how it feels to get a negative endorsement for a stupid reason.

Also, I don't see a problem with a Steam check of some sorts on the Nexus. If you own the game legally, what's the problem? It would sure save people's time by cutting back the tide of pirates. I doubt it would be possible to create a working Steam check though.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, I don't see a problem with a Steam check of some sorts on the Nexus. If you own the game legally, what's the problem? It would sure save people's time by cutting back the tide of pirates. I doubt it would be possible to create a working Steam check though.

There is a little thing called privacy and to be bluntly honest, its no ones business what my steam handle is but who I choose.

Its bad enough our governments are trying to infringe on it in the name of protecting people and other random stuff, which out every other site etc doing it.

Not every one has a Facebook page or wants one, not every one like to put the address on Google.

We have all seen how information can be misused and once you start collecting certain data it is a very slippery slope.

There is a little thing called privacy and to be bluntly honest, its no ones business what my steam handle is but who I choose.

Privacy is illusionary. Every site you visit can know where you live within a reasonable margin by IP. Every site you visit can tell what your last 10-20 sites you visited were, by cookies. Google collects an excessive amount of information about you every time you search for anything, and never removes it or really even tells you what they are getting. A single photo uploaded anywhere can tell someone with the right software where that picture was taken, who is in the photograph, when it was taken, what kind of camera, and potentially even the serial number of the camera. Every copy machine has a storage device which records images of everything copied, and has been the tool of many who are out for identity theft. Your cellphone not only knows where it is in relation to nearby towers at all times, but can also listen even when turned off. The only privacy we have any more is simply by virtue of information overload and very few people who can usually be bothered to give a rats ass.

What information steam does gather and use is actually quite small compared to even something small, like your e-mail provider. Even Anonymous isn't Anonymous... Or didn't you hear how many of them have been arrested for recent activities.

Privacy is illusionary. Every site you visit can know where you live within a reasonable margin by IP. Every site you visit can tell what your last 10-20 sites you visited were, by cookies. Google collects an excessive amount of information about you every time you search for anything, and never removes it or really even tells you what they are getting. A single photo uploaded anywhere can tell someone with the right software where that picture was taken, who is in the photograph, when it was taken, what kind of camera, and potentially even the serial number of the camera. Every copy machine has a storage device which records images of everything copied, and has been the tool of many who are out for identity theft. Your cellphone not only knows where it is in relation to nearby towers at all times, but can also listen even when turned off. The only privacy we have any more is simply by virtue of information overload and very few people who can usually be bothered to give a rats ass.

What information steam does gather and use is actually quite small compared to even something small, like your e-mail provider. Even Anonymous isn't Anonymous... Or didn't you hear how many of them have been arrested for recent activities.

This.

Some of that stuff I already knew about and some I didn't. It comes as no surprise to me either way, so that's why I don't care that much about privacy anymore. As long as the government doesn't film me taking a dump or sleeping, I don't care too much. One example of how little privacy we have left is that many ads on the web can tell what city/state/country I live in just from my IP address. They put my hometown into their text and after a while, I got used to it.

Edited by Guest

I wouldn't want a Steam check because I don't have Steam and don't play New Vegas on PC :P

And this is the problem with the thought of Steam integration into the Nexus. Some people here don't play NV and stick with FO:3, Oblivion, or even Morrowind.

I think the original topic has been explained repeatedly though. Since New Vegas requires Steam, pirates who have problems and give evidence they don't use Steam are automatically branded as such, while those who don't use Steam for other games the Nexus supports may still fall into the realm of reasonable doubt as to whether they are truly a pirate.

In response to Vagrant0's post: Isn't technology wonderful?

VPN + few FF cookie and LSO cookie killer apps, also you would be stupid to not remove the EXIF data from images. Or if you really want to, use the Tor network. Add a few tinfoil hats just for good measure :P

Its the same crap with ISP's doing deep packet inspection in the UK for advertisement. Of course the government can track you if they want to, like the Anon *BLEEPS*, but that is different and most the time requires then to get a court order which is how it should be.

TL:DR just because something is done does not make it right.

Privacy is illusionary.

I really do hope Nexus is not actually considering poking its nose up peoples asses over pirating of a game that they have no actual connection too?

Yes this site has a New Vegas section, and yes this site is anti pirate. But really what does it matter to nexus who is screwing who, do they make money off every pirate they turn away?

I had a problem with someone stalking me online, then stalking me in RL I DO NOT use IM services I do not keep a email that can be followed back to me, I do not like to use credit cards, I do not use cell phones that have anything other then just phone usages, copy machines are only used at work or with random unrelated papers. I do not have a face book or my space account, I do not tweet anything.

So now people want to watch me over a forum I use so they can know what goes on in my steam account? No I will leave and never look back, I have had enough stalking done in my life to let a site open that up again.

The Nexus is going to be about as effective at preventing piracy as a wet paper bag, no offense. It's a great site, but that kind of check would fall between "utterly ridiculous" and "outright insane." Not that I see Steam ever supporting something like that.

And what's there to hide?

Ponies. Ponies on my Steam account, I tell you.

Privacy is illusionary.

So now people want to watch me over a forum I use so they can know what goes on in my steam account? No I will leave and never look back, I have had enough stalking done in my life to let a site open that up again.

Nope, no connection to steam, not trying to fight any good fight. Just banning idiots like always since if you didn't, they would use this place to start discussing methods of piracy and get this place shut down.

Frankly, most of us could care less who anyone is.

About paranoia... At some point you have to just let it go and accept that you really can't get away from all that information grabbing, and as long as you, yourself, aren't doing anything illegal, it doesn't really matter. If someone wants to upload a video of me taking a squat in some public restroom, not much you can do without checking every single corner for a hidden camera... Instead you have to just accept that it would probably not be particularly entertaining. There are people who actually do this in real life, but how many people sweep a bathroom with an RF detector before doing their business? Not many. Are you going to avoid all public restrooms on the 0.0001% chance that some sicko planted a camera there? Probably not since when you gotta go, you gotta go. The internet is much the same way. Using it involves this minor risk that someone will be particularly interested in what you do and who you are, but these days it is virtually impossible to not use the internet and function in a modern society. But, in most cases, any of these companies which collect minor bits of information are not just collecting it from you, but all the millions of other users. To put it in perspective, it is like trying to glimpse a single grain of sand as it flows through an hourglass, not easy, and is usually quite pointless when you have so much other information being collected. To put it back in the perspective of the bathroom pervert... Sure, the sicko has hours upon hours of video of people doing their business... If the thought sickens you, imagine how much of that footage is relatively mundane and uninteresting even for some deranged mind.

To put it in another perspective, this goes back to that whole bit about full body scanners in airports. On one hand, yeah, they take a picture of your naked body. But on the otherhand, there's someone who has to sit there for 8-10 hours a day looking at those pictures day in, day out, thousands a day. After some point, you become so desensitized to some vaguely human naked form that the only things which stand out are those which are very unusual... And even if they got into it to look at naked women or men, they would quickly find out that the few attractive ones would be interspersed with dozens of old, fat, and unattractive ones.

Point is that yeah, pretty much everywhere collects information, sometimes it is as indepth as opening a bank account, other times it's about as deep as gas station surveillance footage (height, gender, nationality, what kind of car you drive, what your license plate is (where you live, who you are, ect by proxy), what hand is your dominant hand, and your method of payment (more information if you pay with credit card, but frankly they have most of that stuff already)). And even in the later case, how often do they even recognize you when you come in every week or two? Not often unless you do something illegal or otherwise noteworthy. The same is for the internet. Sure, you can hide yourself and take extra steps to remove connections to yourself, but at some point these things have diminishing returns toward what they are supposed to protect.