Downloads vs. Unique Downloads

AurianaValoria1

I usually download the latest version of my mods back from the server then install them into my game to prove they aren't corrupt in some way or I haven't uploaded the wrong version or something. This gives me a full list of previous versions all zipped up and ready if I wanted them.

• 1 month later...

Unique downloads are downloads made from different people (different IP) while total downloads reflect the same people doing it more than once.

The main reason was stated before, most mods have more than one version (updates for instance) which counts to the total, most people keep their mods updated so they download the same mod several times and this is not the only reason.

I can't imagine a case where the unique downloads becomes greater than the total other than an error or data loss.

PS: In a way the total tell how much people is faithful and supporting to a certain mod and may indicate the mod is just unknown or underscored by most if the unique downloads is small. A common case where good mods pass unperceived because few people download and rate it which cause few people downloading and rating it...

Edited by nosisab

right thanks for that, the higher unique download referred to was a new version. but assumed people would get the smaller update for the same difference if they had the first. But file sizes were small so guess its simpler to download it again

dont like nexus 3hour rule for endorsing, its too easy to forget by then, and ive not endorsed three quarters of the ones i wanted to on FO3, should get a pen and paper and jot things down this time around

... dont like nexus 3hour rule for endorsing, its too easy to forget by then, and ive not endorsed three quarters of the ones i wanted to on FO3, should get a pen and paper and jot things down this time around

I think Dark0ne said he was changing this to 1 hour as part of the redesign.

Also, if you become a Premium Member, the site will remind you that you have downloads you haven't endorsed.

(You even get to select how frequently you want it to nag you! :laugh: )

• 9 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I'm wondering the same thing.

I JUST added my mod to Nexus yesterday and I have 14 Unique Downloads and 31 Downloads.

Part of me wonders if people are re-downloading because of issues, but upon testing and external help, everything checks out. It's weird to think between 14 people, we would have downloaded it twice?

@gamebyro It was always like that, I've got 46 mods and all with the same situation. Ratio of unique and total downloads is always approximately 1:2, when I have optional downloads it sometimes goes to 1:3.

It all depends, some will have problems and download it 2, 3, 4, 10 times and some will do it only once so you get weird numbers. Not that it matters much anyway.

• 1 month later...

I made some test using my mod and the NexusModManager.

[Test]

I downloaded version 1.3.0 five times in a row and then I downloaded version 1.3.1 5 times in a row.

[Results for "unique" downloads]

I got 1 unique download for each file. Meaning I got 1 for version 1.3.0 and I got another one for version 1.3.1. The conclusion is you get only 1 unique download per file, a new version is a different file and thus give you another unique download.

[Results for "normal" downloads]

I got more than 5 downloads for each file. Meaning I got more than 5 for version 1.3.0 and I also got more than 5 for version 1.3.1. The conclusion is the "normal" download represent how many connections have been made to download your file. If you use the NexusModManager, it seems to open more than 1 connection which would explain why downloading the file once with it could yield more than 1 download, 3 connections = 3 downloads even if you only download it once. Using the manual download once, you only get 1 download, meaning your browser only open 1 connection and thus making my assumptions about the NexusModManager even more likely.

I'm a premium user and this might affect the results, so take it with a grain of salt...