Why are mods getting so few Endorsements?

TheGrimblade

I suppose that it's a combination of ingratitude and selfishness...traits that are well-represented in the general population, not just that of mod users.

Personally, I always endorse any mod that I use and that works as advertised, even those that I may decide not to continue using for whatever reason.

It seems to be common courtesy to me, but unfortunately it appears that it's not so "common", more's the pity.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know the Creation Kit just came out, and people are testing out the Bethesda.net services, but there seems to be a distinct lack of endorsements for mods right now. The most popular mod in the hot files right now has 381 endorsements. A month ago, most mods that made it to hot files would have over 1000 endorsements in no time.

Thoughts and opinions as to why there are so few endorsements right now?

Interest in this game has fallen off a cliff- and don't use the initial sales to try to deny this. MANY console titles are pushed on a dumbed down audience to great initial success, but then see their online usage collapse a few months later- The Division is the latest.

The rare, truly popular games, like Skyrim and GTA V, continue to be popular months and years later.

Fallout 4 was a VERY cynical project, developed by a B-Team at Bethesda (and targeted for most of its key dev-cycle at the PS3, would you believe) while the assumed more valuable Skyrim 2 got the A-team attention. Much to the horror of gamers, the latest Dishonored game has been revealed to use iDTech5 engine, proving Beth is STILL trying to salvage 'value' from the disasterous purchase of iD. It now looks likely Beth has wasted a forune trying to make a version of iDtech for future open-world titles.

Fallout 4 is a fire-and-forget release, and the declining userbase interest in mods is to be expected. Beth.net will accelerate this in the sense that cheap-n-dirty mods of no significant value will saturate Beth's 'app' store, making serious modders question whether the effort required for deeper FO4 mods is worth it.

The irony is that the VERY weak FO4 is like a blank piece of paper- capable of being easily revolutionised by the right types of mod project- and the 'improved' version of the Skyrim engine makes this easier than before. But Skyrim was a highly evolved world where mods like iNPC could have insane ambition, yet slot right in to existing game design. There is literally nothing like this in the base game of FO4- so poorly did Beth craft the world. An iNPC for FO4 would also have to redo the world, and who is going to go to that effort?

Will Skyrim 2 be better? The signs at Beth are NOT promising. iD ruined itself by seeking the most dumbed down design for assumed console mega-sales (which never came, suprise suprise). The astonishing sales success of FO4 will make Beth management even more likely to drink this Kool Aid.

Edited by zanity

The answer is obvious. Endorsing mods is directly linked to enjoyment. If people are enjoying their experience they will shower those supplying that enjoyment with thanks and even adulation. Unfortunately, after playing Fallout 4 for a couple of months and endorsing the valiant attempts by mod authors to circumvent Bethesda's strategy of filling the game with sales making features while at the same time hobbling those features to give everyone the same "even playing field" Commodore 64 experience, getting engrossed in the shallow illogical characters and their weak motivations became a losing battle. People have moved on. Without real player investment as in player creativity, settlement building as is, is not fun... it's a chore. Seven months after release I am still limited by the amount I can build; I'm still limited with the number of items I can have in my build menu and the CK came out far too late. This negative reaction is not mine alone and I have not purchased the DLC; why compound a bad experience?

So to summarize your point, you believe around 90+% of modders are unable to enjoy even the most popular mods on the Nexus, and that's why they don't click a button to thank the author for the free mod they helped themselves to. Okie Dokie.

To quote a friend of mine: "It's like I worked hard to cook a meal for someone, and gave it to them for free, and they helped themselves to it and got up and left without even a nod of thank you at the end."

Edited by RaffTheSweetling

I dunno. I endorse every mod I download and actually like and use and try to Donate to most of them but Fallout 4 just hasn't held my interest like Skyrim do I ave not really been looking . When stuff from the Creation kit really gets going I'm sure something will spark my imagination. I did enjoy FO4 but after several 100 hours, it just doesn't seem to have the near infinite staying power of Skyrim which I find myself going back to.

Make a companion mod with a lot of sexual innuendo in her dialogue such as Sofia in Skyrim. You make it and the teen boys will endorse it!

Says the guy who has used the mod extensively and uploaded a ton of pictures of Sofia to my page haha. That age thing as well as gender is nonsense since most of the users I actually talk to are not teen boys and many are even girls, I myself am 26 and I made the mod. Sofia just has a broad appeal coupled with quality content attracting several large demographics.

Yeah, I like to joke about that, but the truth is Sofia is the top vote getter of all the Skyrim companion mods and that probably translates into the top of all Bethesda companion mods (I think of Interesting NPCs as a quest mod that got dropped into the wrong category). Christine Slagman is a top notch voice actor and Sofia deserves her kudos.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/uJ6OZ8r2uZc/maxresdefault.jpg

I bet a whole bunch of endorsements for Fallout 4 mods will be given once the Game of the Year Edition comes out and current mods are updated for the final release and horizon expanding mods become possible via the Creation Kit. Even console players will probably be giving endorsements at Bethesda.Net if they can get Mom or Dad to send it in for them. :D I would be disappointed if Kris Takahashi's Atomic Radio mod for Fallout 4 did not eventually end up with many endorsements as well as eventual mods from LlamaRCA (Willow) and Someguy2000 (New Vegas Bounties and Russell).

Make a companion mod with a lot of sexual innuendo in her dialogue such as Sofia in Skyrim. You make it and the teen boys will endorse it!

Says the guy who has used the mod extensively and uploaded a ton of pictures of Sofia to my page haha. That age thing as well as gender is nonsense since most of the users I actually talk to are not teen boys and many are even girls, I myself am 26 and I made the mod. Sofia just has a broad appeal coupled with quality content attracting several large demographics.

Yeah, I like to joke about that, but the truth is Sofia is the top vote getter of all the Skyrim companion mods and that probably translates into the top of all Bethesda companion mods (I think of Interesting NPCs as a quest mod that got dropped into the wrong category). Christine Slagman is a top notch voice actor and Sofia deserves her kudos.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/uJ6OZ8r2uZc/maxresdefault.jpg

I bet a whole bunch of endorsements for Fallout 4 mods will be given once the Game of the Year Edition comes out and current mods are updated for the final release and horizon expanding mods become possible via the Creation Kit. Even console players will probably be giving endorsements at Bethesda.Net if they can get Mom or Dad to send it in for them. :D I would be disappointed if Kris Takahashi's Atomic Radio mod for Fallout 4 did not eventually end up with many endorsements as well as eventual mods from LlamaRCA (Willow) and Someguy2000 (New Vegas Bounties and Russell).

Won't work quite like that. They are going to do DLC for FO4 for about two years or so. The plan is to milk it.

Fallout 4 is a fire-and-forget release, and the declining userbase interest in mods is to be expected. Beth.net will accelerate this in the sense that cheap-n-dirty mods of no significant value will saturate Beth's 'app' store, making serious modders question whether the effort required for deeper FO4 mods is worth it.

The irony is that the VERY weak FO4 is like a blank piece of paper- capable of being easily revolutionised by the right types of mod project- and the 'improved' version of the Skyrim engine makes this easier than before. But Skyrim was a highly evolved world where mods like iNPC could have insane ambition, yet slot right in to existing game design. There is literally nothing like this in the base game of FO4- so poorly did Beth craft the world. An iNPC for FO4 would also have to redo the world, and who is going to go to that effort?

Will Skyrim 2 be better? The signs at Beth are NOT promising. iD ruined itself by seeking the most dumbed down design for assumed console mega-sales (which never came, suprise suprise). The astonishing sales success of FO4 will make Beth management even more likely to drink this Kool Aid.

this is actually what I'm quite worried about as well, there's a sort of "signs of imperial decay" feeling to FO4 in a sense

and I don't want to use that as an entirely disparaging thing to the entirety of the people on the team or something

like when empires peak and there's tons of high skilled people but the management is so cynical that they can't actually create wonders that were what drove success in the first place even as the general situation is better to a degree, although even there there's signs of things that COULD be better but simply WEREN'T, because cheap and dirty becomes the word of the day, where buying out new companies is easier than being specifically better

that said, I'm hoping far harbour disproves this worry

and I suspect that because fallout 4 is at its basic level a superior engine, people will be more interested in making deep mods for it within a smallish semi-insular serious modding community because IF this is the way of the future then essentially this is the way that the promises made by using the title fallout will be fulfilled

but at the same time, a certain rough and vibrant "wild west" feel has certainly disappeared in a sense but this is true of all small things that blow up, eventually they get saturated with inferiority and collapse

inferiority in this case isn't absolute scale, it's entirely possible that late imperial stage type inferiority is superior to most of early imperial stage stuff, but the collapse of good work into "meh" is relative scale

as in, the "inferiority" that saturates is inferior relative to what COULD be if trends continued, because of logistical problems due to management cynicism

I didn't even realize iD was still in business tbh, rage didn't pique my interest even, and yeah the whole "dumbed down for consoles megasales" thing is basically like a body in starvation mode eating its own muscles to stave off death even as it gradually ensures that it won't be able to move to a water source, I'm HOPING that bethesda avoids the "cheap plastic crap" trap

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Course_of_Empire

Edited by tartarsauce2