Fallout 4 currently suited for a total conversion project?

Hi all,

Id like to work on a small medieval/fantasy based standalone game and try to find a suitable plattform. Since there are great examples of standalone expansions for skyrim like falksar, I wonder if the fallout4 engine and its current tools are suited for such a project. Rather than starting from scratch in like in the unreal4 engine it would save alot of time, as well as provide various ressources to be used obviously.

What do you think?

For starters, I wonder if its currently possible to alter/replace the landscape or add a standalone one, which is a mandatory condition.

The Fallout 4 Engine would definetly work, as it is just an updated version of the Skyrim engine. However you have to create a lot new meshes and new animations to suit the medieval setting. Also the Unreal Engine is much more powerful than beths gamebryo engine. So if you ask me: Try it with Unreal. Another advantage: You could sell your game.

You might as well just start in Unreal 4, to be honest. With the amount of work ad time required to convert, and the age of the Fallout 4 engine and limits of F4 GECK, you can borrow a set of plugins off the marketplace for ~60 and get a functional dialogue system, inventory system, and built in assets for character animations and primitive world building. Then all the assets you need to make for a TC Mod, just make your own game with them.

You mostly answered your question yourself.

No, for now drop FO4 totally since it is set in wrong time frame, just for a head up why it will not suit your needs at all is spelled PipBoy. You are very welcome to dive into the again I believe hardcoded PipBoy functions into the game, Fallout and a PipBoy has been hammered in as a must have combination, to get rid of it to have more medieval looking interface, well I presume will be very troublesome.

Skyrim is set in the right time frame, there are lot of assets you can use, the modding community is mature and almost all bugs and workarounds related to CK are known to get you where you want, why start with something that not even Bethesda yet finished? (new DLC, just released CK, u.s.w.)

Why FO4 you think would be a good choice? FO4 compared to Skyrim is just that there are some new bells and whistles added, but with graphics enhancers like for instance ENB to me there are very little new with the engine used in FO4 and even more difficult because Bethesda choose to use new 3rd party software and the modding community is still in the work to get tools working again since new formats broke what worked in Skyrim.

So would you like spend time create your game, or hit your head on the desktop when things don't work?

You also say standalone, if you with that mean you will not load FO4 game base .bsa and .esm files, you practically will start from scratch anyway and in that case could use any fitting game engine so why not for instance use UE4 like Thaiauxn says?

Considering inside the Fallout universe there are the pods which suggest a kind of 'Matrixesque' simulation paradox. Wouldn't it actually be plausible to create a 'fantasy' experience within that? The games themselves have always had a pretty 'trippy' streak to them too so always a possibility to do something there.

Come to think of it, how about mecha dragons and nano-magic or something even...

What we really need is Skyrim + Fallout 4. I'd play that game. I mean, fantasy swords and machine guns, flying dragons and tossing grenades at giants? Mowing down draugr with a minigun? Dwemer power armor? The possibilities are endless, and tantalizing.

What we really need is Skyrim + Fallout 4. I'd play that game. I mean, fantasy swords and machine guns, flying dragons and tossing grenades at giants? Mowing down draugr with a minigun? Dwemer power armor? The possibilities are endless, and tantalizing.

That sounds like something I might also be interested in playing. Not sure how all the lore-oriented people would react. Would love to see Bethesda PR department (if they have any) inbox or something after the launch. :tongue:

As for the OP: if you are going to do a total conversion, everything that has been pointed out here by now is something to consider, obviously. Also, I am by no means an expert, just another hobbyist playing around with some tools, but I am not sure how well aware you are of the amount of work a total conversion would take. As in, if you were to convert Skyrim to another setting with another world (and reuse all assets), already that would be a massive undertaking. But Fallout 4... umm. Most likely even more (not counting the Pip-Boy issue you should really consider, and also other game mechanics potentially hardcoded into the game). Not trying to discourage you or anything, but as you asked if it is possible to modify landscape: have you done something worldbuilding-related before? It is possible to modify landscape, yes, has been since Morrowind, and is most likely also possible in Fallout 4 (or else Bethesda would be in big trouble). You are free to start any project you ever want - that is the idea behind modding - but if you have not yet done much worldbuilding, have you perhaps considered trying things out at first? Just an idea. For example, making a small medieval-themed island in Fallout 4, that player could travel to, and add some quests and such there. To see how it all starts, perhaps learn a little something new, and to get an idea of the scale of the project you are planning? Unless, of course, you already know how worldbuilding and all works and are aware of the scale of a total conversion. I have no idea what you have done thus far. And I especially have no idea how efficient you are at doing things, I myself am extremely slow when it comes to getting anything modding-related done, and that might affect my view on large projects. But there have always been people who have managed to make huge projects come true, so maybe you are one of those people. I myself am definitely not. So try not take what I say too seriously. :tongue:

Anyway, good luck with your project, however you may choose to make it happen! Nothing great would ever come to be if there were no people trying to achieve it. :thumbsup:

Edited by Contrathetix