Crashing after start new game

5m0k3

Hi all,

So I just installed Oblivion (for the sixth time), aplly any patch (I tried 1.1, 1.2, unofficial patch - shivering isle DLC + patches), run the game, leave all the setting to default and start new game. I dont even modify char, just put my name there a continue to prison. Then I can walk about 1m and game crashes with msg "Oblivion just stopped working". When I modifying char, same thing happen after 1m. I tried to set setting to highest, lowest, nothing works :/.. I also tried to delete config files in .../documents/my games/oblivion... still the same issue :( Any1 know how to fix this? Help me please... Oblivion is so cool and now i can't play :(

Have Win7 Enterprise x64

Intel i5 (4x2.7GHz)

4Gb Ram

AMD HD 6870

PS: sorry for poor english ^^

You need to apply the correct official patch for the version of the game you're running. If you have the Game of the Year version it will fully patch itself when you install the second disk (the one with Shivering Isles on it). If you have the Steam version of the game it will patch itself via the Steam client software. If you have an older disk version of the game you will need to select the correct patch depending on whether or not you have Shivering Isles installed. If you want to use SI the correct order of install is base game then Shivering Isles then the official patch for Shivering Isles then any DLCs you want to add. Be sure to grab the language version of the patch that matches your game.

Edit: Also make sure you are installing the game outside of C:\Program Files. Create a folder C:\Games\Oblivion and install there. One of the moderators here bben46 has posted this uninstall/re-install guide to help get the job of moving an Oblivion install done correctly and completely. Don't neglect the part about using CCleaner to clean the registry of old entries from your first install attempts ... they will mess up getting the game running when you re-install to C:\Game\Oblivion.

Edited by Striker879

Could be a number of things, let's try some easy stuff first.

Make sure you don't have both HDR and Bloom lighting active. The game will sometimes set itself up that way.

Turn off anitaliasing.

Run CCleaner to remove registry entries left over from previous installs.

Read thru bben's reinstall procedure to make sure you didn't skip any steps. If you did, get ready for number 7.

Also; if you have GOTY, you don't need any official patches.

Try WeOCPS

Hope everything works out, keep us posted.

Edit: sorry about the redundacy, Striker beat me to it.

Edited by eric31415

Well, I uninstalled the game, restart PC, remove folders, clean registry, restart pc, clean registry once again to be sure. Then installed game, installed shivering isles, apply 1.2.0416 patch. DL and apply obse + weOCPS and start via obse and still crashing after 30sec playing. I tried many combinations of video settings - lowest, low, higher, with/without AA, bloom or HDR. I'm starting to think it will be best to reinstall windows..

Oh, geez. That's too much. You don't nee WeOCPS. Skip it.

When you uninstalled, did you make sure to delete the Oblivion.ini from My Games\Oblivion. Did you also make sure to reinstall the game outside of the default folder (I.e., to C:\Games)? Have you also tried a clean boot? Is the game running after you patch, before adding any mods to it at all?

clean boot Windows 7 - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Have you installed DirectX 9.0c? - http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=2DA43D38-DB71-4C1B-BC6A-9B6652CD92A3&displaylang=en

Have you tried updating your graphics drivers? - http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

--Tomlong54210

All of this I have done. Deleted all game's folders. Installed into D:/Games/ . Drivers updated, directx 11. Without mods even with mods(fixes). Ok... going to try that clean boot... hope helps ;)

All of this I have done. Deleted all game's folders. Installed into D:/Games/ . Drivers updated, directx 11. Without mods even with mods(fixes). Ok... going to try that clean boot... hope helps ;)

No, not DirectX 11. DirectX 9.0c. Very different things. Make sure you install DirectX 9.0c.

There has to be a reason behind the crashes, and I think we can discover it. Cover the basic considerations thoroughly first though.

--Tomlong54210

OK, I tried clean boot, still crash. Reinstalled Dx9c ... run with/without obse a still crashing :( dunno what else i can do to run it smoothly

so u didnt install any mods? and u tried run it as adminstrator? did u try installing uop?

OK, I tried clean boot, still crash. Reinstalled Dx9c ... run with/without obse a still crashing :( dunno what else i can do to run it smoothly

so u didnt install any mods? and u tried run it as adminstrator? did u try installing uop?

Without mod, as administrator + tried most of compatibilities... what uop?

Yeah, I tried that unofficial patch. Same thing.. just look at my 1st post ^^

Edited by 5m0k3