Pitbulls banned in Denver

Keanumoreira

Instead of banning specific breeds of dog (Which would only make sense if the species was venomous or something) they should restrict what owners do to their dogs. My city made it illegal to chain up dogs last year, and suddenly there aren't nearly so many canine-caused injuries. The dogs' owners are the ones that make them violent.

There are already laws in place to limit what you can do to/with your dog. In most places, dog-fighting is illegal, but, folks do it anyway, and the dogs trained for fighting are the ones that give the rest of the breed a bad name. But, that is typical human behavior...... a few bad examples set the tone for ALL members of that particular group.

I had a Pit Bull for a while. He was a very sweet dog, and would not intentionally hurt anyone. He was just a bit high-energy for having young children around though.

My brother has a Pit, and yes, he is the same bundle of energy, and the same sweet tempered dog.... He is ALWAYS ready to play.

Instead of banning specific breeds of dog (Which would only make sense if the species was venomous or something) they should restrict what owners do to their dogs. My city made it illegal to chain up dogs last year, and suddenly there aren't nearly so many canine-caused injuries. The dogs' owners are the ones that make them violent.

That sounds like the kind of decisions Denver should be making instead of taking the easy way out. Simple solutions like that can make all the difference.

I have raised dogs for thirty years and there is almost no such thing as a naturally vicious dog, it's nurture not nature. Any dog can be a perfectly socialized animal with good training the other types tend to be so because of their Nimrod owners. So ban the stupid owners from having dogs not the breed itself.

I have raised dogs for thirty years and there is almost no such thing as a naturally vicious dog, it's nurture not nature. Any dog can be a perfectly socialized animal with good training the other types tend to be so because of their Nimrod owners. So ban the stupid owners from having dogs not the breed itself.

Due to my line of work I get attacked by dogs all the time - of all varieties (so perhaps I'm a little slanted on this one) In this country though, it seems to be the norm that you use your dog as a way to harass other people.

But to play Devil's advocate a little here and get some more commentary going, weren't American Pit Bull Terriers cross bred to create the breed for the express purpose of creating a fighting dog? I welcome correction if this is just urban legend.

And going by my own experiences, the time I was attacked by a large German Shepard I could handle it - I'm curious (or not) as to how I'd have managed if it had been a Pit Bull or something like a Bull Mastiff though.

To bring in a firearms parallel here, I would wonder why, when there are hundreds and hundreds of different firearms out there that are perfect for home defense that so many people decide they need Bazooka's?

Still, I do agree with everybody here in general that the problem is owner related really.

To condemn an entire breed for the irresponsible owners is ridiculous, at least where I live it's mandatory to have control of your animal, if not by training then by adequate fences. It's the owners that are supposed to have the higher intellect than the dog so they should use it and ensure the protection of the public. If they are intent on raising and keeping a dog that has been trained or allowed to become antisocial then thats a choice, a poor one but still one that they must be accountable for. The dog breed is not the problem , the lackadaisical owners are. Edited by Aurielius

Apparently, because they are seen as dangerous animals due to sterotyping and animal prejudices, they have been banned in this city. Does anyone else think that this is wrong?

Yay, I'm in Denver too! Colorado Blvd. area *waves*

I think it's silly. Yes, there are dogs who are raised and treated improperly, trained to be vicious, and pitbulls are unfortunate victims of this. But I have known pitbulls who were the sweetest dogs ever, and I am not a dog person--unless they're someone else's!

There are other breeds that have been proven to be far more dangerous. Pits just have a bad rap because of gangsta and drug culture. Yes, there have been attacks, but from what I know, it's usually dogs improperly bred/raised.

News News:

Well, the ban on pitbulls has been lifted, but only for service purposes. Non-service pitbulls must be removed from the city or the dogs will be killed. Also, the officals issued this ban because they believe gang culture with pitbulls is an excuse good enough to justify this ban.

News News:

Well, the ban on pitbulls has been lifted, but only for service purposes. Non-service pitbulls must be removed from the city or the dogs will be killed. Also, the officals issued this ban because they believe gang culture with pitbulls is an excuse good enough to justify this ban.

Gang culture? Really?