Mod for music-playing NPCs / bards ?

snarfy

Hi -- Im looking for a mod that consists of NPCs such as bards in taverns, towns, etc, who play music.

I know there is a bard mod out there, but all it does is display text when you talk with the character.

It would be really cool if there were some NPCs that "performed" or otherwise put on shows.

Does anything like this exist?

tx

Cliffworms is also working on a mod (Last Call) which will add performing bards to the taverns, as well as several other features. Not sure where the thread is, though.

The module is part of his Oblivifall project, thread located here - scroll down to "Last Call". No idea how far he's got with it though.

Could you not just record the music that you want them to play as dialogue, and then have them 'say' it? Then use an idle animation to have them playing an instrument.

This could even be done in such a way as to have more varied music, where the songs are recorded in sections (intro, verseA, middle eight) and then have the lines of dialogue linked in a slightly randomised conversation, so the intro wouldn't always lead to the same verse etc.

One problem with music packs is that you have to have copyright clearance for any music added to a distributed mod. There are copyright-free music sources in the net, but you have to read the details VERY carefully to ensure that redistribution does not contravene the terms of use. If, for example, I wanted to make a fiddle-playing bard, and added Heather Alexander's "March of Cambreadth" - it is easily obtainable off the web (and well worth a listen) BUT not approved for use in a game mod. For EVERY piece of music you added, you would have to obtain specific copyright permission.

HOWEVER ... you COULD upload a "blank" mod with silent mp3s and a suggested list of tracks to replace those mp3s with - if someone chose to follow your suggestions and apply the same tracks then it would be with their own copy of the music, not a redistributed one - heck, the original artist might even gain a sale or two :)

One problem with music packs is that you have to have copyright clearance for any music added to a distributed mod. There are copyright-free music sources in the net, but you have to read the details VERY carefully to ensure that redistribution does not contravene the terms of use. If, for example, I wanted to make a fiddle-playing bard, and added Heather Alexander's "March of Cambreadth" - it is easily obtainable off the web (and well worth a listen) BUT not approved for use in a game mod. For EVERY piece of music you added, you would have to obtain specific copyright permission.

HOWEVER ... you COULD upload a "blank" mod with silent mp3s and a suggested list of tracks to replace those mp3s with - if someone chose to follow your suggestions and apply the same tracks then it would be with their own copy of the music, not a redistributed one - heck, the original artist might even gain a sale or two :)

I would be completely fine with having to put in my own music.

It would just be cool to be sitting in an inn and have a bard start up a tune randomly, or at a certain time of night, etc.

Nehrim has bards in it who sit around in some locations playing a tune, but it works kind of awkwardly. If you kill the bard the music keeps going, which lends to my suspicion that it's a sound object placed at the bard's location.

And yes, I killed many an annoying bard in Nehrim.