Depression

kvnchrist

I think pills for mental illness are a bad idea.

The side effects could be terrible, and their are better ways to deal with it IMO.

Not only that, doctors over diagnose kids and even adults now to sell this crap.

1. The side Effects aren't horrible

2. I'm not over diagnosed. My medication solves the very problems I deal with, plus I only pay 25 dollars for my checkup, and go to the pharmacy to buy my medicine there, so why the doctor would do this for her gain money wise wouldn't make any sense.

Your not over diagnose, other people are. Mainly kids.

You jump around a bit or are active as a kid? You need medicine for ADHD.

The side effects CAN be deadly. It is very possible that medicines have long term mental effects as well for some people.

Some people are helped a lot by medicine. Some people think they are helped and are not helped, and some people are just not helped at all.

The company that make the medicine don't give a damn about your depression, they care about making money.

Pharmaceutical companies will try to get doctors to prescribe people with certain medicines, it does have a money effect on the doctor.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The side effects could be terrible, and their are better ways to deal with it IMO.

Not only that, doctors over diagnose kids and even adults now to sell this crap.

2. I'm not over diagnosed. My medication solves the very problems I deal with, plus I only pay 25 dollars for my checkup, and go to the pharmacy to buy my medicine there, so why the doctor would do this for her gain money wise wouldn't make any sense.

The side effects CAN be deadly. It is very possible that medicines have long term mental effects as well for some people.

Some people are helped a lot by medicine. Some people think they are helped and are not helped, and some people are just not helped at all.

The company that make the medicine don't give a damn about your depression, they care about making money.

Pharmaceutical companies will try to get doctors to prescribe people with certain medicines, it does have a money effect on the doctor.

The way you said it, you made it sound like every drug prescribed to people was like that. And concerning your ADHD conclusion, it doesn't work that way. There is a long process dealing with ADHD diagnosis. Doctors just don't go: "Oh, jump around, active, diagnosed"....Otherwise, I wouldn't have gotten my ADD diagnosis when I did as they could have riden it off with something else.

The way you said it, you made it sound like every drug prescribed to people was like that. And concerning your ADHD conclusion, it doesn't work that way. There is a long process dealing with ADHD diagnosis. Doctors just don't go: "Oh, jump around, active, diagnosed"....Otherwise, I wouldn't have gotten my ADD diagnosis when I did as they could have riden it off with something else.

I wasn't being literal.

You got a good doctor, that doesn't mean every single doctor diagnoses things correctly.

Honestly, I think that says more about medical practitioners than the drugs.

Depression is something that obviously exists, I don't think there's anyone who would argue that. The use of medication to treat it has been proven to work for most, but not all, who suffer from it. There are some that, for lack of a better term, do not 'believe' in medication, and refuse to use it. And then there are those who rush to the doctor, not for a diagnosis, but for the magic pill they can take to feel better.

From antibiotics to painkillers, doctors are almost afraid not to prescribe something, for fear of being liable. It almost never fails when I go in for a physical, I'll end up with either some new allergy medication or whatever, even though I've not had issues with my allergies since middle school. Same with my asthma. I've not had an attack in six years, but every time I go in, I end up with a sample or a new prescription for it.

Medication is a good, viable option, and not some sort of 'weak' way out of a problem, by a long shot. That being said, I'm also against 'well... you could have X, so we'll just go ahead and give you Y to make sure.' That might work nice and well in diagnostic medicine, but it shouldn't be the norm.

Now, to focus more on the OP:

It's one thing to learn to cope with things, but there are some severe forms of medical depression (versus just feeling a little down and out), that may require medication for the individual to live a 'normal' life, emotionally speaking.

As for the enforcing the medicating of ADD/ADHD students in schools, if they're taking medicine without a need for it, then it is a failure of their doctor, not the school, to properly treat the child. And, Kvn, given the sheer number of kids on medication for ADD/ADHD/depression/etc now, I would call that more a coincidence, or a case in point that the use of the medication was what was keeping the child in check.

And as for the drugs never being tested on children, that's more a safety issue/FDA thing. They highly frown upon drug experimentation on young children. That being said, we know little to nothing about how the brain works, and instead have only concluded that when we give X drug to someone, they usually respond in Y way. Basically, guesswork with a MD.

I've had thought I'd had them hundreds of times. Mostly when I could see changes coming down the pipe that I thought would adversely effect me. The last time was when I was about to take my physical for my job. That was always a concern for me. The way I deal with it is to draw into myself and get into a deep dark fog, where I can see no way out, and then get pissed at myself for thinking all is lost and get a burst of confidence that usually pulls me through.

Some people take medicine for depression, but I'd always thought that people should learn to cope with things, in a manner that suits them. I think drugs only mask things and whenever they come off of those drugs, then their problems will still be there. I look at the policies that were enforced awhile back that the schools were druging their students for this A.D.D. whatever, and I wonder if that was to help the students or just to let the teachers off the hook for not instilling discipline. I have heard rumors that all those kids that have done these school shootings were on these drugs and had just stopped using them. I also heard that these drugs were never tested on kids to begin with, and no one actually knew how kids would react on them. What do you think?

I have a chemical imbalance. No amount of talking it out, sucking it up, etc. makes it go away. I've taken various meds from Big Pharma until i got sick of the side effects. Now i use herbal remedies that work for me. they don't eliminate it all--I still struggle with issues related to energy and motivation--but I no longer randomly sink into despair and cry throughout the day.

Most of the time, I do just fine, some days though regardless, I get randomly weepy. I've never been diagnosed, but I suspect I have the sort of bipolar that makes you depressed. My mother has the sort that makes you go from 0 to screeching rage in 10 seconds. It's severe, and she refuses to take anything for it. She doesn't see anything wrong with how she behaves. I haven't spoken to her in four years because of it.

I wasn't being literal.

You got a good doctor, that doesn't mean every single doctor diagnoses things correctly.

Well, I know a lot of people (One being my brother), who believes that every doctor is out for our money. Although true that every doctor is usually involved to make a living (I mean, let's be honest here, it is a business afterall, they have to put bread on that table somehow), that doesn't mean they also don't want to help. For people who think otherwise, I can dispell that myth on the spot because I'm getting the help I need and I'm not complaining.

I'd like to ask a couple of questions here.

(2) Were any of those kids that have shot up those schools on any drugs for add or adhd

What is that suppose to mean?

The drugs taken to deal with these disorders don't cause irrational and pyscopathic tendencies, they cause delusions and sleep abnormalities. Yes, aggression is present in these drugs, but do you see me picking up a gun and shooting innocent people?

I'd like to ask a couple of questions here.

(2) Were any of those kids that have shot up those schools on any drugs for add or adhd

What is that suppose to mean?

Just what I asked. I've heard that all those kids that, like at columbine, and others were on these types of drugs or were coming down off of them, when they went off. I was asking if anyone knew anything about that, or was what I heard just a conspiracy theory.

I have never heard about that, and I doubt it would have even had a effect.

So many kids are thrown medicine now it could of be nearly anyone who shot up a school who was on its effects.

To make myself clear, if medicine really does help you that is fine. My problem is medicine as a whole and the abuse of it by doctors and companies.

Edited by marharth