Depression

kvnchrist

I have never heard about that, and I doubt it would have even had a effect.

So many kids a thrown of medicine now it could of be nearly anyone who shot up a school who was on its effects.

To make myself clear, if medicine really does help you that is fine. My problem is medicine as a whole and the abuse of it by doctors and companies.

Thank you.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depression ... I don't have time to get depressed, I'm to busy ... and that's a cure all in itself, I used to get depressed but that's because I had to much time on my hands.

Introspection, over-analysing and nit-picking detail after detail only ends up imagination becoming a reality and imagination is NOT REALITY, it's exactly that, "imagination" !!!!!!!

Get busy, get a hobby, do something, get a friend, a real friend, and when you do, don't spend time discussing your misery, enjoy life, have fun and soon, very soon, you're

going to say bye bye to depression, which will ultimately become oppression and then finally possession.

Remember, depression will tell you that you will never be free ... it's a lie, ask me.

Depression ... I don't have time to get depressed, I'm to busy ... and that's a cure all in itself, I used to get depressed but that's because I had to much time on my hands.

Introspection, over-analysing and nit-picking detail after detail only ends up imagination becoming a reality and imagination is NOT REALITY, it's exactly that, "imagination" !!!!!!!

Get busy, get a hobby, do something, get a friend, a real friend, and when you do, don't spend time discussing your misery, enjoy life, have fun and soon, very soon, you're

going to say bye bye to depression, which will ultimately become oppression and then finally possession.

Remember, depression will tell you that you will never be free ... it's a lie, ask me.

Nintii, I can certainly relate to your above post to some extent. However, I must disagree with most of what you say with respect to many of those who suffer from clinical depression. It is just not as simple as you make it sound. I have suffered from the mild depressions you describe, which have come from spending too much time on introspection and not enough time keeping myself busy doing the things I needed to be doing. However that was very brief for me. Many people are so debilitated by depression that they are incapable of "just getting up and doing". Intellectually they may know what needs to be done, but physically and emotionally they just cannot do it. These people require more than just a quick pep talk and then to be disregarded. They may require therapy, and yes in many cases they may require some sort of medication. I do not believe that most people require all the pills that they are popping. But I do absolutely believe that their are some people suffering from major depression who can be helped with a combination of therapy and medication.

Some people take medicine for depression, but I'd always thought that people should learn to cope with things, in a manner that suits them. I think drugs only mask things and whenever they come off of those drugs, then their problems will still be there.

I didn't read the rest of the thread - I stopped right here.

Clearly you have never experienced true Clinical Depression. I have. Fortunately, my case was only a mild one and I was able to more-or-less pull myself out of it by talking with my wife and GP, and I managed to avoid medication.

This is a subject that is very close to me, given I've had first-hand experience with it.

Clinical Depression has been demonstrated to stem from a chemical imbalance in the brain that affects the mood centers and depresses your state of mind. Therefore, in some cases, medication may be necessary to address and correct the imbalances.

When you start crying for no apparent reason, when everything around you is positive and hopeful - you may be suffering from Depression.

When you dread getting behind the wheel of a car because you know that you might actually give serious thought to yanking the wheel and driving into a tree and ending it all - you may be suffering from Depression.

When you know that the only thing that stopped you from killing yourself is your own instinct of self-preservation - you may be suffering from Depression.

When you can laugh and joke and enjoy life when friends are present, but the second they go your good mood goes with it and you start to cry again - you may be suffering from Depression.

Don't tell me that you can simply "get over it", or "grow up", or "learn to cope with things". You never really do. All you can do is learn how to manage your Depression better. In my experience - once Depression gets you, it never lets go. Only the degree of mood swings change.

Sorry, kvnchrist, this time I believe you don't have any idea what you're talking about - that's what your OP tells me.

Some people take medicine for depression, but I'd always thought that people should learn to cope with things, in a manner that suits them. I think drugs only mask things and whenever they come off of those drugs, then their problems will still be there.

Clearly you have never experienced true Clinical Depression. I have. Fortunately, my case was only a mild one and I was able to more-or-less pull myself out of it by talking with my wife and GP, and I managed to avoid medication.

This is a subject that is very close to me, given I've had first-hand experience with it.

Clinical Depression has been demonstrated to stem from a chemical imbalance in the brain that affects the mood centers and depresses your state of mind. Therefore, in some cases, medication may be necessary to address and correct the imbalances.

When you start crying for no apparent reason, when everything around you is positive and hopeful - you may be suffering from Depression.

When you dread getting behind the wheel of a car because you know that you might actually give serious thought to yanking the wheel and driving into a tree and ending it all - you may be suffering from Depression.

When you know that the only thing that stopped you from killing yourself is your own instinct of self-preservation - you may be suffering from Depression.

When you can laugh and joke and enjoy life when friends are present, but the second they go your good mood goes with it and you start to cry again - you may be suffering from Depression.

Don't tell me that you can simply "get over it", or "grow up", or "learn to cope with things". You never really do. All you can do is learn how to manage your Depression better. In my experience - once Depression gets you, it never lets go. Only the degree of mood swings change.

Sorry, kvnchrist, this time I believe you don't have any idea what you're talking about - that's what your OP tells me.

Chemical imbalances do not need medicine to fix chemical imbalances.

You are right, but pharmaceuticals are not the only way to fix that. It is probably the easiest way, but not the only way.

Not all, but in cases where depression meets disorders, they do if the severity is great enough.

You are right, but pharmaceuticals are not the only way to fix that. It is probably the easiest way, but not the only way.

I didn't say medicines were the only way - I said some cases may need them. I also said that I didn't require them myself.

However, the severity of the response is directly related to the severity of the condition.

Mild cases likely won't require medication, or can be assisted with herbal extracts such as St John's Wort. (I did this - used St John's Wort to help me. It worked for me.)

Severe cases will likely require anti-depressants. In all cases therapy should be involved.

Trust me when I say that if you've experienced true Clinical Depression, your viewpoint will change dramatically.

Edited by Sync182

I didn't say medicines were the only way - I said some cases may need them. I also said that I didn't require them myself.

However, the severity of the response is directly related to the severity of the condition.

Mild cases likely won't require medication, or can be assisted with herbal extracts such as St John's Wort. (I did this - used St John's Wort to help me. It worked for me.)

Severe cases will likely require anti-depressants. In all cases therapy should be involved.

Trust me when I say that if you've experienced true Clinical Depression, your viewpoint will change dramatically.

I know where your coming from, but the chemicals found in pharmaceutical pills can also be found in other places.

I just don't like seeing a society that becoming entirely reliant on medicine to fix all of their problems. It is starting to get to the point of abuse for some.

I am sure some people will need to have medicine to treat depression, but as I said there are other ways to get the substances within the pills that can help greatly.

Thank you Sync182 for your clear and precise description of Clinical Depression. Until one experiences it themselves or cares for someone who suffers from it, no-one can say they understand how it feels. It's not the same thing as feeling sad when you've lost a loved one, suffer a job loss or a myriad of other misfortunes, Although grief can be debilitating, it usually fades and with a good support base the person is able to return to a normal life. Although there are people who can go from grief and sadness to be diagnosed with Clinical Depression, they would usually have been predisposed to it anyway.

I'm not going into my personal history on an open forum, but I will say I have experienced all of the symptoms mentioned in your post and worse. I worked in the medical profession, yet I refused to take meds because they can often create more problems than they fix, mask symptoms and have severe side effects. However, in the short term they are very often an absolute necessity.

Not everyone is strong enough to "keep their mental head above water" or has family or friends or some kind of support system without medications. I do agree that doctors often hand out pills as an easy solution and besides incentives from drug companies it's very often because the general practitioner has no real understanding and training in mental health issues.

Once a crisis with true Clinical Depression passes there are a number of things one can try to fend it off as already mentioned, like temporary meditation, talking to a psychologist, St John's Wort (which in clinical trials has been found to help) and other preventative measures, some of which work and some that don't. When these don't work it's not because the person is lazy or lacking in imagination or unmotivated. It's a real disease.

But it never goes away. Anyone who suffers it can usually recognize the symptoms unless it's progressed too far, and these symptoms can vary in degree from one day to the next. It also can lead to ill health from poor diet, lack of sleep, and many other problems if untreated, or at least stabilized.

A few years ago The World Health Organization declared Depression to be one of the worst health problem we face today and estimates by the year 2020 will be the second leading cause of disease in the Western world. The only link for the WHO I can find is a pdf document which is probably not a good idea to post.

This article from 2009 is still relevant and calls depression the Silent Epidemic. A very good and apt description.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8230549.stm

@ marharth and kvnchrist,

You both really have no idea. I would suggest you do some reading on depression and other associated mental health issues and their treatment.

I just don't like seeing a society that becoming entirely reliant on medicine to fix all of their problems. It is starting to get to the point of abuse for some.

I am sure some people will need to have medicine to treat depression, but as I said there are other ways to get the substances within the pills that can help greatly.

Marharth...

Are you speaking from experience or hearsay? Besides over reliance on psych medications for mental illness, there are many other abuses of prescribed medicines. For example over use of antibiotics which have led to resistant bacteria and super bugs among other things.

Some people also pressure their doctors because thy don't feel they get their money's worth without a prescription. The doctor can of course refuse, but then there's litigation and all sorts of other issues. Mental health is a very complex field and has had stigma attached to it since ...well forever.

Edited by Maigrets