Depression

kvnchrist

Just wondering here.....

Marharth and Sync182, could either one of you stop for just a moment listening to your own selves talking and listen to what Lisnpuppy just said?

This woman has just spoken from the heart and given you very specific information that you did not even take the time to respond to.

Way back, seems about 100 years ago I tried to refer to clinical depression in response to one of those somewhat flip posts to which Linspuppy is referring. Most of you are ignoring this very serious illness. Is the topic depression, or isn't it?

Yes, the stresses in our lives our monumental. Ok, so? Yes, the insurance industry sucks. Ok, so? Yes, doctors push pills way too much. Ok, so? You will get no argument from me on any of this. I have jumped up and down in my day over this kind of stuff more times than I would care to count...

Oh, and yes, we need to be responsible for looking after ourselves. Seems like someone just mentioned that, didn't she???

Depression exists nonetheless and requires treatment. In many cases, that treatment involves BOTH medication and therapy. Seems to me that was what the OP was looking for

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wondering here.....

Marharth and Sync182, could either one of you stop for just a moment listening to your own selves talking and listen to what Lisnpuppy just said?

This woman has just spoken from the heart and given you very specific information that you did not even take the time to respond to.

Way back, seems about 100 years ago I tried to refer to clinical depression in response to one of those somewhat flip posts to which Linspuppy is referring. Most of you are ignoring this very serious illness. Is the topic depression, or isn't it?

Yes, the stresses in our lives our monumental. Ok, so? Yes, the insurance industry sucks. Ok, so? Yes, doctors push pills way too much. Ok, so? You will get no argument from me on any of this. I have jumped up and down in my day over this kind of stuff more times than I would care to count...

Oh, and yes, we need to be responsible for looking after ourselves. Seems like someone just mentioned that, didn't she???

Depression exists nonetheless and requires treatment. In many cases, that treatment involves BOTH medication and therapy. Seems to me that was what the OP was looking for

Well stated Granny.

Edit: Marharth: I don't agree with your statement that people are over reliant on drugs. The fact of the matter is that you don't know if people need a medication or not and what kind of medication that would be. Only the person who has the problem knows for sure, and if that drug helps to improve their lives and helps them perform better, than what is the problem? It doesn't make sense to me that someone getting the help they need is such a huge issue to some people. Even if we are, then we rely on so many other things in life anyway, so what exactly is your point here?

Edit (lol): Also, your statement that society can cure these mental problems, so increasing mental problems shouldn't be increasing at all: You can't cure a disorder, it isn't a disease or a virus you can kill. In the cases of ADHD and depression, these are chemical imbalances that the brain was genetically handicapped to produce, there isn't a medicine to allow it produce the chemicals in a continous balanced state. Again, this is a genetic process, so really, it goes down to the genes. It isn't as easy as popping a pill and we're all better either. Likely, if this miricale of curing disorders ever surfaces, it will take a long process to heal the damage already done.

Edited by Keanumoreira

change.

Sorry, kvnchrist, this time I believe you don't have any idea what you're talking about - that's what your OP tells me.

Why do you think I post these. Not to stand out like the leading authority on such things. There's a lot of things I'm well versed in and some that I was. Times change, attitudes change and we live and learn. Sometimes what we thought we knew wasn't anything but a illusion. The best thing we can do, is be ready, willing and able to except plausable information for what it is and absorb it into your mindset and continue to learn. I thank you for your information.

If it is clinical, i dont claim to know what is best, but try to find something that you can enjoy.

Learn to communicate with your heart and everything will be alright in your soul.

Go to where other people are, that share similar interest and be yourself.

Also have the basics in check. Like is there a good nutrition?

Does the body get enough movement?

Do small things here and there.

Never rely on one thing to much.

Unbox! Like they do with the unboxing videos.

Only let it be yourself.

The thing is never to take something for granted.

PS. Genes are not a set in stone thing.

Edited by Nadimos

PS. Genes are not a set in stone thing.

True, there are people who do grow out of their disorders. I should have re-worded my post more correctly. What I meant is that medicines these days can't directly cure a disorder, though they may allow the patient to grow out of it, so is the same case in the smaller minority of people who just do it on their own. Genetics aren't always the final slam of the hammer, but sometimes, you also can't help but deal with it. I do believe that oneday, these problems will be resolved, as I also have faith in the fact that nothing is forever or indestructable. Everything has a weakness and it's all up to time.

Just wondering here.....

Well stated Granny.

Edit: Marharth: I don't agree with your statement that people are over reliant on drugs. The fact of the matter is that you don't know if people need a medication or not and what kind of medication that would be. Only the person who has the problem knows for sure, and if that drug helps to improve their lives and helps them perform better, than what is the problem? It doesn't make sense to me that someone getting the help they need is such a huge issue to some people. Even if we are, then we rely on so many other things in life anyway, so what exactly is your point here?

Edit (lol): Also, your statement that society can cure these mental problems, so increasing mental problems shouldn't be increasing at all: You can't cure a disorder, it isn't a disease or a virus you can kill. In the cases of ADHD and depression, these are chemical imbalances that the brain was genetically handicapped to produce, there isn't a medicine to allow it produce the chemicals in a continous balanced state. Again, this is a genetic process, so really, it goes down to the genes. It isn't as easy as popping a pill and we're all better either. Likely, if this miricale of curing disorders ever surfaces, it will take a long process to heal the damage already done.

So genes for mental disorders started rapidly involving in the past one hundred years for no real reason? Are you seriously claiming that a large number of mental disorders, if not a majority or not caused by life experiences? So clearly war trauma and post traumatic stress disorder are also genetic?

As for the first edit, I have said I am not talking about individuals being over reliant on drugs, I am talking about society as a whole. Also once again, I have said if you need medicine I have no issue with it.

Also @grannywils, I did read her post but I feel like my other posts already cover it. I suppose I should of acknowledged that a bit more.

EDIT: I would also like to apologize if I offended anyone. I am not trying to be offensive.

Edited by marharth

Just wondering here.....

Well stated Granny.

So genes for mental disorders started rapidly involving in the past one hundred years for no real reason? Are you seriously claiming that a large number of mental disorders, if not a majority or not caused by life experiences? So clearly war trauma and post traumatic stress disorder are also genetic?

As for the first edit, I have said I am not talking about individuals being over reliant on drugs, I am talking about society as a whole. Also once again, I have said if you need medicine I have no issue with it.

Also @grannywils, I did read her post but I feel like my other posts already cover it. I suppose I should of acknowledged that a bit more.

EDIT: I would also like to apologize if I offended anyone. I am not trying to be offensive.

No, because Physcopathy, ADHD, ADD, Depression, and all the other mental disorders in today's society didn't develop in the past 100 years, they've been around for the thousands if not millions of years along humanities existence on this planet (I'm talking about both 10,000 years of civilization and before that time). If you backed up your sources, you would know that, so yes, I'm quote on qoute being "serious" with you. In fact, tell me Marharth if you will, when did I ever say that they developed in the past century? That is an accusatory remark that I didn't make, so why you even brought that up baffles me.

And for your information, if you read the post that I made after Nadimos, you can see that I make up for that mistake because I didn't word it correctly. If you take the time to actually read it, you can see that I awknowledge that it isn't set in stone due to genetics, and I didn't set my intentions on saying that ALL disorders are genetic, because, for one, I didn't even put in my post that genes can't be caused by society's issues. You are making remarks that don't even fit the bill.

No, the disorders have been around for centuries, as Keanumoreira stated.

It's only in the past 100-or-so years that we've made such advances in medical technologies & techniques that we've been able identify them and the extent to which they affect members of society...and also the corresponding techniques (including medication) to address them.

After all - 30 years ago we thought that Saturn had about a dozen moons. We now know that Saturn has nearly 5 times that number of moon-like satelites. It's not as though they suddenly appeared...they've always been there, we've only just discovered them.

Same goes for many things we're applying names to today: they've always been there, we've only just worked out how to categorise and relate to them.

For 30 years I lived with a mess in my head, untill somebody finally gave me the actually very simple diagnosis: Bipolar Disorder.

My life back then was as I said, a mess. Bipolar makes you both super active (incontrollable) and depressive. See the film "Mr. Jones" with R. Geer.

When I got my diagnosis, and started on medication, my life changed radically.

I have a very great experience on my behavior, my illness, what so ever that goes on in my mind, and do not just take med with no responsability.

I agree 100 % with Lisnpuppy in her last post (great post).

When med is needed to keep down symptoms from a desease, we should consider taking med.

If we are somewhat little "depressed" because life is not what we expected, we should consider NOT taking med. Here comes the hard point: DON´T LISTEN TO THE COMMERCIALS!

Why we sometimes feel a little "depressed" has nothing to do with illness, and can not be cured by any med. It has to do with the pointless way of life we sometimes live. It has to be cured otherwise.

How do you know they have been around for centuries if we can only identify them now? There has been mental illness in the past and pretty much forever but I don't know if you could identify a large number of cases of depression from the past.

My argument is that a majority of mental illnesses are caused after birth, and are not genetic. I would like you to proof that wrong. If you can I will accept defeat.

Edited by marharth