Help with low fps

timota21

also,

download and install gpu-z.

its a free graphics card stat tracker. it will tell you everything you need to know.

go to the statistics tab and check the box at the bottom to run in background. then start up your game, go thru a few places that require a lot of output - then click ALT-TAB to go to the desktop and look to see if your gpu is getting hot. those laptops dont have a lot of breathing room.

gpu-z here: http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

also,

download and install gpu-z.

its a free graphics card stat tracker. it will tell you everything you need to know.

go to the statistics tab and check the box at the bottom to run in background. then start up your game, go thru a few places that require a lot of output - then click ALT-TAB to go to the desktop and look to see if your gpu is getting hot. those laptops dont have a lot of breathing room.

gpu-z here: http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

It said my avergae temp was 46 degrees C (or about 110 degrees F). Which is pretty hot I would assume. Can this adversely affect performance?

Running hot can not only affect game performance it can fry your CPU. I'm not sure 46 C is too hot for your laptop but I'd definitely check up on that (look up the manufacturer's specs.) It's not too hot for most desktop configurations with plenty of fans and air circulation but laptops leave components with little room to breathe.

Running hot can not only affect game performance it can fry your CPU. I'm not sure 46 C is too hot for your laptop but I'd definitely check up on that (look up the manufacturer's specs.) It's not too hot for most desktop configurations with plenty of fans and air circulation but laptops leave components with little room to breathe.

It would seem that this temp falls in the normal range for my laptop. I wish I would have just bought a desktop for gaming. And and crap laptop for carrying around when I need it.

I do know that lowering draw distances increase frame rate, but the draw distances on Medium settings are very modest and I'm still under reccomended FPS for smooth gameplay.

If Skyrim is this unoptimized... Then I won't buy it. :P

I am so friggin dumb... I seriously should stamp n00bl3t to my forehead.

Since I have a HP laptop, I have two chipsets. The mobile integrated crap, and my above average Radeon 6770M. Unless I specify MANUALLY that I want FONV to run at high performance (ie fully utilize my 6770M), it will run in default mode (ie utilize the mobile integrated crap).

So I figured out how to do that, and my framerate on low tripled! So now I'm gonna try on higher settings and see what happens.

Average FPS on Ultra Settings... *sigh*... 50 fps!!!! Wow, this fix (in conjuction with the 4gb loader) has made Fallout NV play like a dream! I can't believe it was that simple, sitting on my desktop the whole time.

Edited by timota21