Shivering Isles.esp Nowhere To Be Found

runRiderun

Alright, so here's a bit of background info before I get to the main problem I'm having at the moment. About a month ago, I did a complete reinstall of Windows 7 Home Premoum 64-bit on my laptop, an ASUS G60VX Notebook. I had Oblivion installed on it before this for about two years, and had successfully installed and played both Shivering Isles and Knights of the Nine expansions.

After the Windows 7 reinstallation, I installed Oblivion back on my laptop, loaded my savegames (I saved them in a separate folder) and had no problems. I then proceeded to install Shivering Isles (no problems during the installation, no error messages, nothing, just behaved like it was installing it as per usual), and then installed Knights of the Nine (again, no issues). I also installed the Shivering Isles patch. After that, I jumped right into my last save game. I played for a little while before I consoled into the Testing Hall, and after walking into the room full of all of the armors in the game, I discovered that while the Knights of the Nine armors were there, the Shivering Isles armors were not. So I exited and checked the data files and the DLCShiveringIsles was not there. I checked in the Oblivion folder in my Program Files as well and again, no Shivering Isles file.

So, I tried installing Shivering Isles again, and still, no dice. I then uninstalled Oblivion (ran the uninstaller, deleted the Bethesda folder in Program Files, deleted the Oblivion folder in Documents/My Games) and then reinstalled it. Then tried installing Shivering Isles once again and was given an error that said something along the lines of "Could not find the Oblivion folder, please reinstall Oblivion". So I did so again, tried Shivering Isles again, and it ran the installer. Nothing showed up in the data files or Oblivion folder.

I'm at a loss at why Shivering Isles will not show up in any folders and will not run after installation. I even checked to ensure that it was installing to the correct folder ProgramFiles(x86)/BethesdaSoftworks/Oblivion/Data, and it was.

I've searched multiple sites for an answer and cannot find one, any help would be much appreciated, as I would really like to be able to play Shivering Isles again.

>>also, I did have to fix a problem with my eHome Infrared Transceiver after installing Oblivion (before and after the Windows 7 reinstallation) where it interfered with my ability to use the console (~) key. I don't think this has anything to do with my current issue but I thought I'd include it.

System Info:

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

ASUS G60VX Republic of Gamers Series Notebook

Processor Intel Core2 Duo CPU P7450 @ 2.13GHz, 2133 Mhz, 2 Cores, 2 Logical Processors

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260M

Edited by runRiderun

A Simple solution is for someone to send you a copy of the SI .esp

I could if you wish IF it is permitted by the Moderators and staff.

It IS just the Esp and not the BSA archive?

Sending the Esp should be no hassle and allowed? I mean we upload tons of esps each day on the Nexus.

Edited by DrakenGuard

Windows 7 eh... must ask this, are you running the Shivering Isles installer as Admin? DLCShiveringIsles.esp is just a pointer file, for some reason they decided to modify the main Oblivion.esm file with the expansion instead of just adding & activating the .esp :/ - UAC could throw a monkey wrench into the works sometimes.

Next, a suggestion: Uninstall [again, I know its irritating, but needed]. Remove all traces of the game [ you have outlined you know the basics of doing so already, no need to tell you what to do I think ]. Re-install the game, but do not install to the default location. This is important. Install to a location outside of Program Files (x86) [eg: C:\Games\Oblivion or something like that]. This will help get by most of the UAC annoyances - run all installers as Admin [base Game + SI + KotN] to ensure that registry entries and whatnot get added properly.

Let me know if any of this helps at all.

Edit: I was wrong in the original post. You should find the DLCShiveringIsles.esp

In this case, probably you have windows Vista or Seven and the game installed at C:\Program Files (x86)

If so, uninstall it and install somewhere else, something like C:\Games\Oblivion should do the trick.

PS: beaten by CarlosJuero answer... as you can see... that "non blessed" directory is the main guilt of almost every "strange behavior" and access rights issues. From now on avoid installing ANY game in that folder and spare yourself many headaches.

Edited by nosisab

A Simple solution is for someone to send you a copy of the SI .esp

I could if you wish IF it is permitted by the Moderators and staff.

It IS just the Esp and not the BSA archive?

Sending the Esp should be no hassle and allowed? I mean we upload tons of esps each day on the Nexus.

I believe the Nexus has a rule against distributing any base game content [which is covered by copyright/DME laws] - this would include the .esp file I believe; Also the .esp is, as I pointed out in my post, just a pointer [that needs to be activated just the same] - the main Oblivion.esm gets modified by the expansion installer - so just sending the .esp file would not work if the expansion is not installing properly [which it sounds like it is not]

Thanks to all of you for the help. I am running as an Admin, but I'll try what you suggested, carlosjuero and nosisab. I'd heard from a few people that the Program Files causes a lot of issues with a number of installations, but thought I'd check before moving the Oblivion folder elsewhere.

I'll see if this'll do the trick!

Moving will not do... uninstall it completely, from the disk, not from the normal windows uninstaller, and reinstall in the new folder (an user created folder), not anything under any windows folder, avoid the Documents folder (as any other under the /users) and it should do. Moving installed folders just makes the windows register crazy. Edited by nosisab

Moving will not do... uninstall it completely, from the disk, not from the normal windows uninstaller, and reinstall in the new folder (an user created folder), not anything under any windows folder, avoid the Documents folder (as any other under the /users) and it should do. Moving installed folders just makes the windows register crazy.

I believe that, by saying "move", the OP meant they would uninstall and reinstall to a new location outside of Program Files

Yeah, I meant that I wasn't sure about moving the installation destination during the Oblivion install.

In any case, I tried your suggestions, changed the installation destination from ProgramFiles(x86) to the folder I created C:\Games\Oblivion, installed Oblivion, and then installed Shivering Isles and still, nothing's showing up in Data Files. Also, my save games will now not show up when I go to load.